Turn on thread page Beta

Different types of Engineering watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    With the different types of engineering: electronic, civil, mechanical chemical, aeronautical etc.. is there one that is valued more than others?

Also, which gives the broadest range of skills?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caius)
    With the different types of engineering: electronic, civil, mechanical chemical, aeronautical etc.. is there one that is valued more than others?

Also, which gives the broadest range of skills?
    at the moment civil is one of the most employed degrees among graduates, and suprisingly mechanical is among the most unemployed (i'll try and find the stats for you)

i'm sorry i don't actually know that much about what they all involve other than my dad is a civi and he has done quite a variety of different things from the usual designing of bridges + tunnels + a submarine base and he's now a health and safety inspector.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    at the moment civil is one of the most employed degrees among graduates, and suprisingly mechanical is among the most unemployed (i'll try and find the stats for you)

i'm sorry i don't actually know that much about what they all involve other than my dad is a civi and he has done quite a variety of different things from the usual designing of bridges + tunnels + a submarine base and he's now a health and safety inspector.

lou xxx
    How do you know that?

ReputationRep:
    yeh civil is the one of the most employed, but i disagree about mechanical there.

majority of my family are in mechanical or civil and theyve allgot top notch jobs and didnt have a problem in finding employment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SparklLZz)
    yeh civil is the one of the most employed, but i disagree about mechanical there.

majority of my family are in mechanical or civil and theyve allgot top notch jobs and didnt have a problem in finding employment
    oops sorry, i remebered it wrong. *is very sleep deprived* its electrical + electronics that have high unemployment. i got it from here. it was in the telegraph last month in the education questions.

Which graduates have the best and worst employment prospects? (from John Clare's column 15-11-2003)

Among those who graduated last year, the unemployment rate six months later was lowest in law (3.8 per cent) and civil engineering (4.4 per cent) and highest in information technology (14.6 per cent), electrical and electronic engineering (13.6 per cent), media studies (10.1 per cent) and design studies (10 per cent). The type of employment they found is also worth considering: 21 per cent of design studies graduates, 16 per cent of media studies graduates, 15 per cent of English graduates and 12 per cent of psychology graduates were working as "retail assistants, catering, waiting and bar staff". For more details, see www.prospects.ac.uk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    How do you know that?
    know what?

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    know what?

lou xxx
    know about all the engineering stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    know about all the engineering stuff.
    my dad is a civil engineer... these things kinda get drilled (no pun intended) into you.

was so cute yesterday a little boy down my road who i sometimes babysit for (he's 7) said he wants to be an engineer when he's older + seriously knows stuff about it! he was made up that my dad had designed some tunnel he'd been to (which i have never heard of + have now forgotten). he also dug treches in his garden + put in pringle tubes to build the london underground (!) it was so incredibly sweet cos he was asking my dad so many questions like why they sunk things to build the fourth bridge...and he's only seven. so cute!

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    my dad is a civil engineer... these things kinda get drilled (no pun intended) into you.

was so cute yesterday a little boy down my road who i sometimes babysit for (he's 7) said he wants to be an engineer when he's older + seriously knows stuff about it! he was made up that my dad had designed some tunnel he'd been to (which i have never heard of + have now forgotten). he also dug treches in his garden + put in pringle tubes to build the london underground (!) it was so incredibly sweet cos he was asking my dad so many questions like why they sunk things to build the fourth bridge...and he's only seven. so cute!

lou xxx
    thas not cute thas scary!! i dunt like rlly clever kids, i like the cute dopey ones who u can tell anything and they'll believe u

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SparklLZz)
    thas not cute thas scary!! i dunt like rlly clever kids, i like the cute dopey ones who u can tell anything and they'll believe u
    he's not really clever (as in scarily so), i had no idea he was so into anything like that + i expected him to say he wanted to be racing driver or something. he's just so eager and sweet and always asks questions. trust me, he's gorgeous- my favourite out of all the kids i babysit, he's just a nice little boy.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    he's not really clever (as in scarily so), i had no idea he was so into anything like that + i expected him to say he wanted to be racing driver or something. he's just so eager and sweet and always asks questions. trust me, he's gorgeous- my favourite out of all the kids i babysit, he's just a nice little boy.

lou xxx
    wait till they grow up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    wait till they grow up.
    lol

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.