Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    PLEEEASE HELP ME!!!!! ok so i have to do this project for my AS level photography it has to be portraiture so anything with a person in and is all about identity. We have to come up with initial ideas and expand and develop them into a quite long project. This is all the pointers we have been given. I am seriously stuck on ideas and running out of time so please give me any and as many suiggestions as possible!!!!!
    Thankyou

ReputationRep:
    Lol im doing this project!!! What if you take pictures of different stereotypes like punks etc.
    hmmm you could also like use lots of props and look at cultures and stuff?

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered anything conceptual?

ReputationRep:
    ok so i am doing AS photography and have to do a project on portraiture photography about identity i have absolutely no ideas and dont no where to start and i am freaking out over it! PLEASE COMMENT WITH ABSOLUTELY ANY IDEAS YOU HAVE!!!!!!
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Google images.

ReputationRep:
    Make a mind map and try and get some ideas that way, if you get some ideas you could post and people will be able to help you more easily.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe ones's race and how race and identity are the same or how they differ...i'm not too sure if that answers your question..it probably doenst..

ReputationRep:
    Take a picture. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feebz)
    ok so i am doing AS photography and have to do a project on portraiture photography about identity i have absolutely no ideas and dont no where to start and i am freaking out over it! PLEASE COMMENT WITH ABSOLUTELY ANY IDEAS YOU HAVE!!!!!!
    Thanks
    here's a comment: "**** you"

ReputationRep:
    how about going around the ethnic minoritys and use identity about culturtal terms

ReputationRep:
    A project on identity? This sounds interesting, were you given any other specifications, or just let loose with that? Let me know and I'll try to come up with some ideas for you.

ReputationRep:
    I have created a pretty detailed mind map about what identity is but i still dont know what i can actually photograph. And that is as much detail as we were given! we were told.... portraiture.... identity... go do a project lol! and i cant really do stereotypes altho that is the most obvious as other people in the class hav alredi covered pretty much everything i could do with that. Thanks for your comment SOTEK any ideas would be massively appreciated so thankyou to anyone who comments!!!!

ReputationRep:
    In that case, other people having covered the idea of stereotypes, perhaps the concept of people who don't fit quite into any category, and using the idea that everyone has identity, even though it is not always obvious on the surface. Or perhaps a concept based on the idea that places shape identity. If either of those appeals, let me know and i'll try to help delve further into the concepts with you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feebz)
    I have created a pretty detailed mind map about what identity is but i still dont know what i can actually photograph. And that is as much detail as we were given! we were told.... portraiture.... identity... go do a project lol! and i cant really do stereotypes altho that is the most obvious as other people in the class hav alredi covered pretty much everything i could do with that. Thanks for your comment SOTEK any ideas would be massively appreciated so thankyou to anyone who comments!!!!
    how about doing people who do NOT fit the steriotypes. muslim women that do not wear burka/ bulky gays

ReputationRep:
    I like the idea of people who do not fit in with stereotypes but how can i take photographs of this ?

ReputationRep:
    The idea is rather cliché.

Just sayin'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feebz)
    I like the idea of people who do not fit in with stereotypes but how can i take photographs of this ?
    go forth and scour! If you look hard enough there are many people who do not fit the steriotypes they are assigned to.

ReputationRep:
    How about your personality identity? Maybe you have interesting family history or things that make you, well, you! which could make interesting photos?

ReputationRep:
    Inspiration is your best friend. I get the most marks in my logbook from the numerous pages of documenting and commenting on work of other artists (both artwork and photographs) that are relevant to the theme. If I was doing a theme on identity, I'd investigate Jane Bown for her beautifully candid celebrity portraits rather than the usual airbrushed fakery in magazines, and Nathalie Lecroc for revealing identity through other ways other than merely images of the person..her work is completely inspiring and beautiful!

I recently finished a really broad Portraiture unit where we were pretty much let loose to do what we wanted in both film and digital, so we did tons of experiments with studio lighting, contrast and staged/candid shots. Basically experimenting rather than a meticulously planned project.

ReputationRep:
    Taylor Wessing Prize - National Portrait Gallery - job done!!

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.