Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

unbelievable situation with my UCAS!!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Why is everyone being so prickish about this? It was either a mistake (most likely, and definitely not impossible) or, OP, they want you so much that they don't care about your A level results. This is very unlikely however, usually when universities feel this way they just make a really low offer rather than an unconditional. Contact them, they'll appreciate the honesty and they'll spot the mistake sooner or later anyway. I'm sure they did want to make you an offer, someone just made a silly mistake.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe they're just impressed by your application and PS and they want you regardless of your grade :dontknow: It happens but still, don't be lazy and do your work :p:

ReputationRep:
    I know this is digressing but, I hate Universities when they go back on their word. It said last year when I was applying that to do a management degree at City I needed a B at GCSE Maths, which I had. They rejected my offer, so to get feedback I emailed them asking why, and they said because I didn't meet their GCSE Maths requirement, which I did. Turns out it was a mistake on their website, which was quickly rectified and probably saved a lot of other people wasting a university space . Which is why it's important you ring Kings and your school, incase there's been a mistake on their behalves so it prevents further mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    Phone Kings/your school. Only way to be certain!

ReputationRep:
    Firm they cant back out!

It's different but someone I knew got lower grade requirments by mistake and after he had accepted the offer there was nothing they could do as it's a contract. Sucks for the uni but very lucy for you, although I wouldn't stop working employers might be a bit confused if you have no A levels and you dont want to start the uni year behind everyone eles.

ReputationRep:
    Make sure all your information on track is correct, if yes, proceed to accept the unconditional, they'll be contractually obligated to let you in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natasha_c)
    Firm they cant back out!

It's different but someone I knew got lower grade requirments by mistake and after he had accepted the offer there was nothing they could do as it's a contract. Sucks for the uni but very lucy for you, although I wouldn't stop working employers might be a bit confused if you have no A levels and you dont want to start the uni year behind everyone eles.

if thats you in the pic then....boy are you ****** hot!

oh and yeah i agree with what your saying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by microfatcat)
    Even if it was a mistake, they couldn't take it away again. It's a contract where they're saying they don't care what grades you get.
    I'm afriad that's not true-there's a thread somewhere floating around where they offered someone an unconditional offer for Imperial-though it turned out he filled in the form wrongly, hence the offer was changed to conditional.

(Original post by Keoje)
    Common sense says for an unconditional offer you'd most likely need proof. Otherwise every one and their dog would claim they have done so many A levels and achieved so and so grades.

OP will just waste his time and the universities by playing along with it. He will just lose out on an university place.
    As the applicant, you only need to prove that the information entered on the UCAS form is complete and accurate. If the university then misinterprets it, the onus is on them to deal with the situation, hence the necessity of them taking him. There's no rule stating that you must have completed all your qualifications to recieve an unconditional offer, and it does happen occasionally.

ReputationRep:
    Congrats! haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeonflux)
    Why the hell would he call them up? An offer is contractual, they can't back out.
    Sadly that's not true. They can take the offer away completely, change the requirements, do anything they like. People on here got screwed over by that last year.

OP I assume you were supposed to have a conditional offer for 3 A-levels. Personally I wouldn't tell them. Even if they do notice they'll just send you an e-mail and change it do AAA 'conditional'. You aren't going to get into trouble for not telling because it's their mistake, and lots of people wouldn't even have noticed. However, I reckon if you don't get AAA they might realise something has happened. Your UCAS results will be sent to them. It's whether the admin people notice or not that's the thing.

If it would give you peace of mind, tell them. If you're relaxed then don't bother.

ReputationRep:
    The OP may be lying or not, but I knew someone in one of my classes last year who went to an interview for a degree at UCLan and I think she wanted to do Marketing, and they said to her they liked her so much they were going to give her an unconditional, even though she was in year 13 in the stages of completing her A levels.

ReputationRep:
    It's not an impossible situation so lets stop accusing the OP of being a troll please, it's not helping anything. If you think people are trolling then report it.

As to the issue at hand, I think your best bet would be to check with the university else it is only going to play on your mind. Check that your UCAS form has been correctly filled in as far as the qualifications you have. It may be they really have given you an unconditional, in which case you have nothing to worry about. If not, then eventually they will spot it and it may come back to bite you. Unconditionals are not unheard of, but are admittedly unusual for people who are still sitting their A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natasha_c)
    Firm they cant back out!

I would assume that either it wasn't a mistake, or it was a mistake but the uni decided not to bother changing the requirements, or he didn't actually tell them he just told you 'they can't back out, I've firmed it!' because yes they can do anything they like. It's written on UCAS somewhere. Universities have the right to change the offer/rescind offers something like that. I know of it happening from TSR. Lucky guy if he managed to get in with lower grades due to the screw up though.

ReputationRep:
    i got an uncon for music :/ and i cant play anything! it was a mistake

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by member390648)
    yeah I might not even go to my IT exam tomorrow. In fact, I might not go to school again!!!!
    Whatever else you do, don't do that. Given that it is KCL and you don't have A levels the odds are it is a mistake.

You should ignore all the idiots telling you that universities cannot take offers back: they can, even after you have accepted. You should ignore the other idiots telling you to keep quiet: that wouldn't be in your own interests. It is much better to find out the truth now than to discover it was a processing error during clearing and when you have achieved something less than the normal requirement.

Accepting it now, declining all other offers or withdrawing from other choices in order to do so (as you have also been advised to do), would be foolish in the extreme, which would become clear if and when KCL tell you it is a mistake. You would then potentially end up with a high tariff conditional offer and no insurance.

The only sensible thing to do is to check your application details and then call them and have the matter clarified. English universities, particularly the better ones, don't normally give unconditional offers to candidates that have not already gained the requisite qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keoje)
    Common sense says for an unconditional offer you'd most likely need proof. Otherwise every one and their dog would claim they have done so many A levels and achieved so and so grades.

OP will just waste his time and the universities by playing along with it. He will just lose out on an university place.
    Well yeah, he'll need proof that all his qualifications that he claimed to have exist.

I'm assuming he didn't claim to have completed his A-levels; so an unconditional offer now means just that: no more conditions.

Do you want to go there OP? If so, firm it.
    But call them too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O-Ren)
    I would assume that either it wasn't a mistake, or it was a mistake but the uni decided not to bother changing the requirements, or he didn't actually tell them he just told you 'they can't back out, I've firmed it!' because yes they can do anything they like. It's written on UCAS somewhere. Universities have the right to change the offer/rescind offers something like that. I know of it happening from TSR. Lucky guy if he managed to get in with lower grades due to the screw up though.
    Oh ok then from what he said it sounded like the uni couldn't change it, but I spose they must have just decided not to after admitting it was a mistake. I didn't know they had the right to do that though, OP I take back what I said I would call them - the people saying that they can change their mind seem to know what their talking about.

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend who has an unconditional for Politics at Aberdeen and he's also a year 13... I'd be a bit terrified if I got an unconditional, and would probably ask my teachers what they thought was going on first.

ReputationRep:
    update?

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.