Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok,

I need some help deciding A levels as I want to be an investment banker..

This is what i think i SHOULD take:

Maths, economics, politics, philosophy

Im not sure about politics and philosophy.. are they proper and relevant a levels..
    apparently politics isnt a proper broadly opening a level

SO:
    I MIGHT do:
    Maths, eocnomics, computing, philosophy??

Im probs guna take philosophy as im a/a* in RE GSCE.

Any help choosing TWO A levels (advice) out of:

computing, philosophy, politics

I heard computing is mathematical, so that might be an advantage.

Please click this computing open evening pdf file to help me out,
    http://longroad.longroadmedia.com/?p...15&submit=View

is computing even going to to be more helpful or respected by unis than politics due to computing 'hardness'?

ReputationRep:
    Maths is a must. Further maths if you can. Philosophy is something that allows you to analyse and critically think so if you enjoy that, then go for it. As for your last one, do what you enjoy. Youre the one who has to study it. I did Maths, History, Physics and Economics.

ReputationRep:
    I did Maths, Biology, Chemistry, History, Latin (AS) and Persp. on Science (AS).

Certainly do maths (chem/phys possibly). Further Maths is a bonus.

Choose Computing/Politics dependent on which university/course you're looking at.

ReputationRep:
    Aren't Philosophy and Politics pretty 'soft' subjects at A Level? Computing would be more useful than them both just for the basic spreadsheet skills you pick up.

ReputationRep:
    If you're talking about "pure" IB, the computer skills needed dont require an A level understanding in computing. In a perfect world Maths, Econ, Pol & Phil is what I would have done. Considering that a degree in Maths/Econ is best suited for IB I assume that's probably want you'll want to do at uni, so I would go with Computing over Politics - you'll find the mathematical element pretty useful, and you've already got an essay subject, Phil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    Aren't Philosophy and Politics pretty 'soft' subjects at A Level? Computing would be more useful than them both just for the basic spreadsheet skills you pick up.
    That'd be IT, not computing; Computing's more about coding.
    Maths and further maths might be good starts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antimatter)
    That'd be IT, not computing; Computing's more about coding.
    Maths and further maths might be good starts
    Ah ok, I did neither, so am clueless, all I know is that if you can learn Excel well before doing an internship then you're golden!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    Ah ok, I did neither, so am clueless, all I know is that if you can learn Excel well before doing an internship then you're golden!
    I've been told that for a hedge fund interview I have, all I'm really going to get asked is mental maths :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    well personally I did maths,applied maths, chemistry, physics, economics, business studies etc. but thats Irish system. The reaction you tend to get if you do lot of numerical subjects is they will also expect you to be more numerical and ask you more numeric questions. Good if you are prepared, bad if you are not

ReputationRep:
    Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Physics/History. I think that would be a very strong combination.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed with Jonty.

Those would probably the best subjects to take if you want to go into banking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Physics/History. I think that would be a very strong combination.
    Agreed. Although possibly a language if the division you are considering is emerging markets or you hoping to work at say DB, UBS, CS. But Maths, F.Maths, Econs, Physics and History are a solid combination.

ReputationRep:
    Get 4 As, go to a target university, who gives a ****.

ReputationRep:
    Agree with Jonty. Maths, FM, Physics, Econ, and perhaps if possible a 5th one in Philosophy/History. Spreadsheet skills you'll pick up any time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antimatter)
    I've been told that for a hedge fund interview I have, all I'm really going to get asked is mental maths :awesome:
    Which Hedge Fund? PM me if you don't want to post.

ReputationRep:
    FM is definitely a good subject to do but tbh I dont think it's worth doing if you're not going to do Maths at uni. With any other course, an A in Maths will suffice.

ReputationRep:
    maths, further maths, economics would be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander)
    FM is definitely a good subject to do but tbh I dont think it's worth doing if you're not going to do Maths at uni. With any other course, an A in Maths will suffice.
    Further Maths is definitely worth doing if you are considering economics/finance related things at university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    Further Maths is definitely worth doing if you are considering economics/finance related things at university.
    I'm doing a degree in econ/finance, and while obviously the more numerate your A levels the better, just doing Maths at A level is sufficient.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander)
    I'm doing a degree in econ/finance, and while obviously the more numerate your A levels the better, just doing Maths at A level is sufficient.
    Of course it's sufficient, but it's advantageous (for the top unis anyway) to do further maths. you said you didn't think further maths was "worth doing" - of course it's worth it whenever it's such a respected subject for economics at university.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.