Turn on thread page Beta

Why was Hitler anti-semitic? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Why did Hitler hate Jewish people so much? Some people say he had a bad experience in Vienna. Also why did a lot of the rest of Nazi party hate them so much?

ReputationRep:
    He shagged a Jewish prostitute who gave him syphilis. This was clearly unacceptable to Adolf.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't a Jewish doctor treat his beloved dying mother?

I personally think he just used it to gain power which blaming the jews was a popular at the time. And by the time he gained power, he then had to stick with it to avoid looking like a complete liar. And you know what they say, if you try and believe something for long enough eventually you will never be able to question it. And in Hitlers situation any different sort of thinking after he gained power and especially during the war could have been dangerous to his power.

ReputationRep:
    He didn't get into art college.

ReputationRep:
    didnt he get rejected from a Jewish art school?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there was one defining moment where Hitler became anti-semitic. It was quite a widespread concept in Europe at the time when Hitler was growing up and he went seriously off the rails after WW1 and Germany's defeat. Naturally he started lashing out and Jews were a prominent and sizable 'other' in Germany at the time, it was easier for himself to reconcile Germany's defeat and problems in the 1920s with some kind of Jewish conspiracy than to accept the reality of the situation.

He already disliked them when he lived in Vienna in his earlier life, it's just the chaos of post WW1 Germany exacerbated this. People tend to turn against 'the other' when the nation and economy is going through tough times. Hitler's anti-semtism is more complex than usually given credit, he didn't seem to have much against the Jewish religion itself, his opposition was mainly focused on the jewish race, he says this in Mein Kampf:

There were very few Jews in Linz. In the course of centuries the Jews who lived there had become Europeanised in external appearance and were so much like other human beings that I even looked upon them as Germans. The reason why I did not then perceive the absurdity of such an illusion was that the only external mark which I recognized as distinguishing them from us was the practice of their strange religion. As I thought that they were persecuted on account of their faith my aversion to hearing remarks against them grew almost into a feeling of abhorrence. I did not in the least suspect that there could be such a thing as a systematic antisemitism. Once, when passing through the inner City, I suddenly encountered a phenomenon in a long caftan and wearing black side-locks. My first thought was: Is this a Jew? They certainly did not have this appearance in Linz. I carefully watched the man stealthily and cautiously but the longer I gazed at the strange countenance and examined it feature by feature, the more the question shaped itself in my brain: Is this a German?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by explosions hurt)
    He shagged a Jewish prostitute who gave him syphilis. This was clearly unacceptable to Adolf.
    I actually lol'd when I read that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genocidal)
    I personally think he just used it to gain power which blaming the jews was a popular at the time. And by the time he gained power, he then had to stick with it to avoid looking like a complete liar. And you know what they say, if you try and believe something for long enough eventually you will never be able to question it. And in Hitlers situation any different sort of thinking after he gained power and especially during the war could have been dangerous to his power.
    He didn't actually use anti-semitism in his campaigns that actually gained him the most support. Yes, in the early days, his speeches were quite anti-semitic, but later he stopped using anti-semitism in his speeches and Kershaw argues that his popularity gained due to the Hitler Myth, not because the German volk were anti-semitic and supported his anti-semitic policies.

Also, anti-semitism was quite widespread throughout Europe, although only had an impact in non-liberal countries really, and many Germans blamed the Jews for the fall of the economy and the loss of WW1 (stab in the back theory - look it up if you're that interested). Before WW1 the Jews were quite well integrated into German society and put being German before they put being Jewish and even fought for Germany in WW1. Being anti-semitic was the social norm really and Germany didn't really like the Weimer State with all it's liberal policies etc so they actually welcomed the totalitarian changes that Hitler proposed. There are quite a few factors as to why Hitler was elected, why he was anti-semitic, and why the holocaust happened. I recommend you read some stuff by Goldhagen and Kershaw and Arendt

ReputationRep:
    There are so many rumours about why he hated them.
    I don't believe there is one particular reason that he did.

Mine Kampf is w a very anti-semitic book.
    But at the time anti semitisum was common and it wasn't a new thing.
    Jewish people have been persicuted for 100s of years by different nationalities, different religions.
    Just the Naizs took it to a new level.
    I say the Nazis because there is no definate prove saying Hitler athorised the murder of the Jews, but seeing as he never stopped it this all seems part of the 'hitler myth'.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.