Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have you donated to Haiti yet? watch

• View Poll Results: Have you donated to Haiti yet?
    Yes
    33.03%
    No
    66.97%

ReputationRep:
    yeah, only because orange sent me a text whereby if i replied £2.50 was donated and taken from my credit...

ReputationRep:
    My school did a bake sale and I bought a rice crispie sqaure for 20p (found in a chair in the common room) and my mum donated twice as much as she was going to because i said i'd pay her back even though i still haven't. Does that count? I literally have -£32 pounds. My purse will soon collapse on the vacuum within it. Donating some of next weeks ema though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lella_m)
    Why should I?
    It might help to rebuild Haiti.

ReputationRep:
    nope and i dont intend to, i have too many things i want to buy so im saving for them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikipip)
    I don't trust charities ever since I worked for one and saw exactly where 20% of the donations went.

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/201...-spending.html
    oh god you are so right.

no, i haven't. but i did buy some hash.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    As a secularist atheist, that's a lame justification. I doubt that Oxfam will be distributing bibles. :rolleyes:
    I don't find it lame at all. I'm quite anti-religionist, and the last group of people I would help in peril are those of a religious disposition. Not least because they're likely to thank God rather than me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumorousGent.)
    oh god you are so right.

no, i haven't. but i did buy some hash.
    Hope it was good hash mate.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, in HAM (H&M) when I went to pay they asked if i'd like to make a donation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlanD1993)
    if everyone donated a tenner it would make so much of a difference.
    I'd still prefer to go to Port-au-Prince with the aforementioned fluffy duster and can of Mr Muscle, but mostly just so that I could say that I had done it. It would be a great ice-breaker.

ReputationRep:
    Why should we donate money to them when they fight over the aid we give them and kill other people for it. I know these people are obviously desperate for help but by killing someone else so they can get it is obviously putting themselves first in a drastic way, so why should i put them first.

ReputationRep:
    £30

http://www.dec.org.uk/

Just donate on here ^^ it's easy, I used my bank debit card.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phugoid)
    I don't find it lame at all. I'm quite anti-religionist, and the last group of people I would help in peril are those of a religious disposition. Not least because they're likely to thank God rather than me.
    Well, as much as I find that view abhorent, I'd give money, assuming I were able, to people who held it were they faced with a natural disaster of which I was aware. That's akin to a eugenicist belief, i.e. the lives of those with religion (ergo, almost everyone on the planet, merely around 2.5% of the populaton being atheists) are inherently inferior.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I consciously gave the money that I could have given to haiti to water aid instead, because tbh the amount of time, manpower and money it takes to pick up a bit of a building and drag a single body out is far better used saving hundreds of people from cholera and dysentery by building a well, and it's charities like that which get neglected when the entire media is taken over by one relatively small (in terms of the amount of human deaths) cause.

ReputationRep:
    yes i have £200...

ReputationRep:
    I donated £20 plus a bit extra from Gift Aid.

Some of the replies in this thread, and general attitude on TSR I've seen towards donating, have really surprised me. :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetqueen)
    Because I don't care about it. I have far more important things consuming my thoughts tbh.
    like what?

ReputationRep:
    Not yet. I've put £20 quid in an envelope and marked in to remind me to donate it in a month's time. At the moment there's a lot of money moving into the place, but after the initial wave of pity and media hype has worn off, that is when the aid funds will start drying up so that it when I'm going to donate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    I'd still prefer to go to Port-au-Prince with the aforementioned fluffy duster and can of Mr Muscle, but mostly just so that I could say that I had done it. It would be a great ice-breaker.
    what age are you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadie-kiki)
    Nope, I consciously gave the money that I could have given to haiti to water aid instead, because tbh the amount of time, manpower and money it takes to pick up a bit of a building and drag a single body out is far better used saving hundreds of people from cholera and dysentery by building a well, and it's charities like that which get neglected when the entire media is taken over by one relatively small (in terms of the amount of human deaths) cause.
    being stuck under rubble for 6 days must get a bit annoying though

ReputationRep:
    Not yet but I 100% intend to, I think il give it to the people that the BBC endorses. For those of you who say they are more intrested in their luxuries... get a life, I really do look down on you - not because you don't donate but your attitude.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.