Turn on thread page Beta

Have you donated to Haiti yet? watch

• View Poll Results: Have you donated to Haiti yet?
    Yes
    33.03%
    No
    66.97%

ReputationRep:
    I haven't. I have £30 to last me until University so I can't afford to throw cash around even if it's for a meaningful cause.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by explosions hurt)
    being stuck under rubble for 6 days must get a bit annoying though
    but the number of people who are being helped is low for a lot of effort and money is low. not to mention the vast admin costs and wage bills etc - I'd rather donate to a smaller charity that helps more people for each one of my hard earned £s that I give them.

ReputationRep:
    No. I am going to be brutally honest and say I don't care. And as heartless as I may seem, I expect 90% of people on here to feel the same. I have never been to Haiti before (openly and honestly I have never even heard of Haiti before now), I have no connection with the people, I don't know anyone from Haiti and just like everyone else on here, I will continue with my own life whether there was a natural disaster there or not, and to be quite frank, I don't earn enough to be giving my money to every natural disaster that appears, and giving my money won't make me happier with myself, but it will mean that I might go hungry one day, or have even less money to pay for my tuition fees.

(I do give to charity, I give often to Dogs Trust, because it is something I care about)

ReputationRep:
    I just feel bad for all the human suffering occurred. I donated £2.50 off of my Orange PAYG credit when they texted me asking for donations.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see a reason to. It's not my problem. I don't feel guilty about it. I've got better things to spend my money on.

Take your pick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlanD1993)
    what age are you?
    Soon to be 19.

And I already said in my first post, I'm particularly heartless and cynical regarding this. I find it very hard to care especially about people affected by disasters such as this when there are people all around the world who really don't have it any better. 150,000 people die every day, if I stopped to care about all of them as well then I'd have gone mad from depression by now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritedAway)
    No. I am going to be brutally honest and say I don't care. And as heartless as I may seem, I expect 90% of people on here to feel the same. I have never been to Haiti before (openly and honestly I have never even heard of Haiti before now), I have no connection with the people, I don't know anyone from Haiti and just like everyone else on here, I will continue with my own life whether there was a natural disaster there or not, and to be quite frank, I don't earn enough to be giving my money to every natural disaster that appears, and giving my money won't make me happier with myself, but it will mean that I might go hungry one day, or have even less money to pay for my tuition fees.

(I do give to charity, I give often to Dogs Trust, because it is something I care about)
    :facepalm2:

Humans>Dogs.

Still better than nothing I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    there really are some heartless ***** around here. Its a sad state of affairs. Fair enough if you don't give some money but spare a thought for those who are suffering through no fault of their own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phugoid)
    I don't find it lame at all. I'm quite anti-religionist, and the last group of people I would help in peril are those of a religious disposition. Not least because they're likely to thank God rather than me.
    so you'd let someone die because they believed in god? setting a great example of how people can have good morals and be compassionate to others without religion.

as an atheist who didn't donate i find your excuse scummy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakujo)

Humans>Dogs.

:facepalm2: your opinion. I place them equally.

ReputationRep:

I'm sure those dogs are really grateful. They probably write you letters and **** expressing their sincere gratitude. IMO all the homeless dogs should be slaughtered and shipped to Haiti for sustenance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakujo)

Humans>Dogs.

animals>humans

i would much rather give to an animal charity than to a human one

ReputationRep:
    to all the people that say they have, what about the poverty inside britain(or wherever you are from)? do you dontat to them at all? or do you only donate when others do/its in the media? why do you care more about other countries they your own?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Natalie*)
    there really are some heartless ***** around here. Its a sad state of affairs. Fair enough if you don't give some money but spare a thought for those who are suffering through no fault of their own.
    What is that going to do:confused:. "Some person who has never even met has just stopped to think about me as I die under this building, I feel so much better now."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    animals>humans

i would much rather give to an animal charity than to a human one
    Uh.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you tbh. Spending the money on myself would make me a lot happier than spending it on others. Life goes on.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to on Sunday through my church because that's easier than donating individually, and I have no money until Friday.

ReputationRep:
    Only through my prayers.

ReputationRep:
    No but school's doing a collection/fundrasing thing on Thursday so I'll bring some money in then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boristhethird)
    to all the people that say they have, what about the poverty inside britain(or wherever you are from)? do you dontat to them at all? or do you only donate when others do/its in the media? why do you care more about other countries they your own?
    Well, that's a bit of an unfair assumption. I can say truly and honestly that I do donate to charity in Britain as well - I try to donate to international, national and local charity.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.