Turn on thread page Beta

Have you donated to Haiti yet? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Have you donated to Haiti yet?
    Yes
    33.03%
    No
    66.97%

ReputationRep:
    Well technically I already have because the UK government pledged a load of money. But i'm not going to directly as it seems to me the problem isnt a lack of money, its the bottlenecks at the airport and not having enough people on the ground.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritedAway)
    :facepalm2: your opinion. I place them equally.
    Clearly you don't as humans in Haiti are suffering more than animals in Britain are.

I was actually pretty shocked at the responses in this thread. Not the people saying they won't donate - the people saying its because they don't care about the life of another human being. I'm sure your mentality is such that you don't care, but I'm disgusted. (This last paragraph isn't aimed at you spiritedaway).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetqueen)
    Because I don't care about it. I have far more important things consuming my thoughts tbh.
    Yeah, I bet your problems are way more important :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    yep, I donated £5, didn't really dent my savings, and i felt kinda good after doing it, so overall, it was worth it.

ReputationRep:
    yep donated some money to www.dec.org.uk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FootPrints)
    Yeah, I bet your problems are way more important :rolleyes:
    yeah they will be to her

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by explosions hurt)
    I'm sure those dogs are really grateful. They probably write you letters and **** expressing their sincere gratitude. IMO all the homeless dogs should be slaughtered and shipped to Haiti for sustenance.
    :awesome: Don't forget the monthly magazine.

IMO the dead people from Haiti should be sent off for sustenance for the homeless dogs.

[I would just like to point out that that isn't what I think should happen to the dead people from Haiti (Haitians?) but it can work the other way around]. And so what if I think that an animal charity is worth my money rather than a human one. It's not as if I said that all human charities aren't worth my money, I just pointed out one that I give to. At the end of the day, I said I don't care about this, and why should I give my money to them? You obviously don't care about the charity that I do, yet I am not forcing you to give to them.

ReputationRep:
    nope and honestly im not really planning to

ReputationRep:
    No, not because I don't necessarily care, but I don't see why people like us should donate when there are plenty of wealthy people in the world that could spare so much more than us, I really don't think the amount I could afford to donate would actually make a difference.
    People might think I'm heartless but I don't see the point in all these charities for other countries, it's a bit one sided tbh. People just begin to rely on aid all the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritedAway)
    What is that going to do:confused:. "Some person who has never even met has just stopped to think about me as I die under this building, I feel so much better now."
    I meant in terms of empathy then some people would show some more compassion instead of saying 'I don't care'.

ReputationRep:
    I used the money I would have donated to buy some gloves for the tramp on the street.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum9999)
    Clearly you don't as humans in Haiti are suffering more than animals in Britain are.

I was actually pretty shocked at the responses in this thread. Not the people saying they won't donate - the people saying its because they don't care about the life of another human being. I'm sure your mentality is such that you don't care, but I'm disgusted. (This last paragraph isn't aimed at you spiritedaway).
    I am sure I would care if I even knew they existed before this happened, but let's face it, you give £10, feel better for the rest of the day and that's it. I am sure that someone else in another country died today, you don't know them, have never met them but read it in the newspaper, would you really, honestly be saddened by it? Or would life go on as normal without more than a few seconds thought.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikipip)
    I worked for a well-known charity and saw my fellow workers claim ridiculous expenses, it reminded me of the MPs scandal. I'm not saying all charities are like this, but unless I am going there and directly putting the food into somebody's hand, I am not willing to give my money to a charity and hope they will spend it on the right resources.
    Well, that's an issue caused by the dishonesty of your fellow workers, not the charity per se.

Ultimately, we live in an imperfect world. Imperfect solutions are better than none.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    yeah they will be to her
    Worse than thousands of people dying, orphans with nowhere to go and corpses rotting in the streets? Doubt it.
    Anyone who thinks their problems are worse than that is a self-obsessed ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Natalie*)
    I meant in terms of empathy then some people would show some more compassion instead of saying 'I don't care'.
    But if we showed compassion for everything and everyone, then we'd all be some sort of emotional wreck.

ReputationRep:
    No. If I see a collection tin somewhere I'd put a few quid in but nothing more. If you donated to every natural disaster going you'd have nothing left.

In an extremely selfish way, I also think what would we get if something like that happened over here? I don't think people would be anywhere near as generous as we are to others.

ReputationRep:
    cos i'm a student

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FootPrints)
    Worse than thousands of people dying, orphans with nowhere to go and corpses rotting in the streets? Doubt it.
    Anyone who thinks their problems are worse than that is a self-obsessed ****.

everyones problems are bad to them

ReputationRep:
    More oxygen for me!
    OM NOM NOM!

ReputationRep:
    i have but only £5 so far

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.