Turn on thread page Beta

Have you donated to Haiti yet? watch

• View Poll Results: Have you donated to Haiti yet?
    Yes
    33.03%
    No
    66.97%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    animals>humans

i would much rather give to an animal charity than to a human one
    Likewise, I do not think I would ever give money to the human race, the majority are selfish, backstabbing and despicable. I would much rather donate to an animal charity too, because in my case, I feel more for them.

I do expect replies of 'lol humans > animals' because it seems people do not like to be of the same equality of animals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittennffc)
    what would we get if something like that happened over here? I don't think people would be anywhere near as generous as we are to others.
    That's not the point though is it? If you live your life by that principle then you'd be quite a horrible person. Sorry.

:hide:

ReputationRep:
    i gave all my lunch money to the haiti appeal today it feels nice being nice y'all dig

ReputationRep:
    everyones problems are bad to them
    Well obviously but relatively she's far, far better off.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, £80

ReputationRep:
    No, and I'm not going to. Don't see why I should. Its not my problem. And I'm sorry if that makes me heartless to people on here, but I don't care. Leave it to the people that can afford it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rimipie)
    i gave all my lunch money to the haiti appeal today it feels nice being nice y'all dig
    What did you have to eat?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritedAway)
    I am sure I would care if I even knew they existed before this happened, but let's face it, you give £10, feel better for the rest of the day and that's it. I am sure that someone else in another country died today, you don't know them, have never met them but read it in the newspaper, would you really, honestly be saddened by it? Or would life go on as normal without more than a few seconds thought.
    You don't have to be particulary saddened by it to donate - you just have to recognise its wrong that some people live in poverty while we live in luxury and want to do something about it.

Unfortunately from the responses in this thread, I get the impression most people do recognise that but don't see it as wrong.

ReputationRep:
    But if we showed compassion for everything and everyone, then we'd all be some sort of emotional wreck.
    I think the situation in Haiti deserves at the very least compassion for the people suffering.

We can pick and choose what we have compassion for but I find it hard to believe that whats happening in Haiti evokes no compassionate response for these people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittennffc)
    No. If I see a collection tin somewhere I'd put a few quid in but nothing more. If you donated to every natural disaster going you'd have nothing left.

In an extremely selfish way, I also think what would we get if something like that happened over here? I don't think people would be anywhere near as generous as we are to others.
    That's a fair point, but as a country (I know many people in this country are living in relative poverty, but I'm talking overall) we are fairly well off. We could probably afford to rebuild without as much foreign aid. For Haiti, there's no way they could do any rebuilding work without aid.

ReputationRep:
    Voted no because I haven't donated.

I don't often feel the need to buy morality boosters and when I do I prefer to donate to disease research charities, Cancer Research UK and the sort.

Also I feel international aid is part of the problem as to why the third world remains under-developed. Not the entire problem and it is handy in sudden disasters like this but mostly its one of the causes.

You don't have to be particulary saddened by it to donate - you just have to recognise its wrong that some people live in poverty while we live in luxury and want to do something about it.
    For a bit of fun I am going to take the role of the pihlosophical academic.

Explain why exactly it is wrong that we live in relative financial comfort (I use the word relative strongly, we have a bit more money but people don't sleep rough for the giggles) while some parts of the world are financially poorer?

And if you can establish why it is a good thing for everyone to be wealthy (and assuming that is even remotely possible under any economic/financial system) please explain why it is our responsibility to provide that wealth and should we pay off capital that our respective countries have developed over centuries to prop up other under-developed nations?

In fact this is open to everyone, lets make this thread a bit more intellectually stimulating rather than the mindless charity drive circle-jerk back-patting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum9999)

Unfortunately from the responses in this thread, I get the impression most people do recognise that but don't see it as wrong.

how is it wrong? its not our fault we were born in britain, none of us asked to be, its not our fault that (for the most part) we work damn hard to have a roof over our head, to be able to afford a car, to be able to afford holidays, to be able to afford other stuff and to go out

its not wrong at all, its life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    What did you have to eat?
    just a blueberry muffin unfortunately, but then i came home and raided the fridge

ReputationRep:

Well if you don't want to live in luxury, I am sure there is someone in your town centre who is happy enough to trade their place on a park bench for your bed.

ReputationRep:
    how is it wrong? its not our fault we were born in britain, none of us asked to be, its not our fault that (for the most part) we work damn hard to have a roof over our head, to be able to afford a car, to be able to afford holidays, to be able to afford other stuff and to go out

its not wrong at all, its life
    Surely that depends on your ethics? Using that argument we shouldn't have a benefits system as its not my fault Joe Bloggs got fired so he can look after himself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Natalie*)
    I think the situation in Haiti deserves at the very least compassion for the people suffering.

We can pick and choose what we have compassion for but I find it hard to believe that whats happening in Haiti evokes no compassionate response for these people.
    No, because we have never met these people before. Just like if the man in the apartment below me got murdered, it would evoke no response other than "oh" because I have never met him.

ReputationRep:
    Surely that depends on your ethics? Using that argument we shouldn't have a benefits system as its not my fault Joe Bloggs got fired so he can look after himself.

can see your point

ReputationRep:
    yah £30

ReputationRep:
    Well if you don't want to live in luxury, I am sure there is someone in your town centre who is happy enough to trade their place on a park bench for your bed.
    Well, I have actually done that before. Well, I didn't trade, but I slept out for charity. I'm not saying this to brag, because I don't think giving to charity is something to brag about, it's something everyone should just do naturally. I'm only saying this because a lot of the responses in this thread seem to be saying that we should give to British charity, or animal charities, or whatever, instead of Haiti, failing to recognise that it's not mutually exclusive!

Also, to whoever said they had never heard of Haiti before, how? I'm really bad at knowing countries and stuff, and I've heard of it.

ReputationRep:
    And when did I say that? Just a random, not thought out idea - if all 60 million people in the country donated an extra £10 a month to charity that would raise £7,200,000,000 in one year. Are you really suggesting that would result in people losing out on loads of luxuries? No.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.