Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have you donated to Haiti yet? Watch

• View Poll Results: Have you donated to Haiti yet?
    Yes
    33.03%
    No
    66.97%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum9999)
    Surely that depends on your ethics? Using that argument we shouldn't have a benefits system as its not my fault Joe Bloggs got fired so he can look after himself.
    Not wanting to turn this into an argument about the benefit system: we shouldn't .

But also, we live how we do now for a number of reasons; education, work ethic, our job or lack thereof but most importantly, the country in which we are born in. We were not born in a third world country, so instantly we have a better start to life. These people were born in Haiti, a natural disaster happened, people died. If we were born in Haiti, chances are, we could be dead too. We wouldn't know however, nor would we care, because we would be dead. Or at the very least not living how we are now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    No. Partly because I'm incredibly heartless and cynical and don't really care enough, and partly because me donating the odd tenner would be about as helpful as turning up in Port-au-Prince with a fluffy duster and a can of Mr Muscle.
    Hahahaha omg that was very funny

ReputationRep:
    I haven't. I'd rather donate to homeless people in the UK tbh.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yes.

H&M were asking all customers whether they would make a £1 voluntary contribution when purchasing items...I contributed £5.

I may donate some more later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Sparkles)
    If not, why not??
    because i dont have enough money to pay my iphone bill, buy a car and donate.
    some things are just more important. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    And when did I say that? Just a random, not thought out idea - if all 60 million people in the country donated an extra £10 a month to charity that would raise £7,200,000,000 in one year. Are you really suggesting that would result in people losing out on loads of luxuries? No.
    It sounds like you were implying it with:
    you just have to recognise its wrong that some people live in poverty while we live in luxury and want to do something about it
    How is it "wrong" then?
    You have no idea how just £10 could help people lose out on luxuries. You could also say that I work pretty damned hard for the little money I do get I deserve to put away so I can treat myself, or save for when something goes wrong. If I hadn't have put away a little bit of my wage each month, I would not be living in "luxury" now, but in minus funds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OnlyMe!)
    Yes.

H&M were asking all customers whether they would make a £1 voluntary contribution when purchasing items...I contributed £5.

I may donate some more later.
    That's really good, I think - a lot of people I know are using the excuse 'I don't know where/how to donate, but I would if I could' - such a popular shop as H&M doing that will hopefully make quite a difference.

ReputationRep:
    So in order for you feel compassion for someone you need to know them. It is actully possible to care for the welfare of some one you don't know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura182)
    this actually.
    sort out our own problems first imo.
    national debt is supposed to reach 1 and a half trillion in 2014... we could work on that maybe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phugoid)
    I don't find it lame at all. I'm quite anti-religionist, and the last group of people I would help in peril are those of a religious disposition. Not least because they're likely to thank God rather than me.
    What are you, ten? I'd hardly call myself anything but anti-theist, but to claim religiosity undermines the intrinsic value and worth of human beings likens you more to fanaticism. You really think externally imposed cultural norms are reason enough to degrade their human worth?

ReputationRep:
    Uh, no, not yet. But having flicked through the pages of this thread and having read some of the things people have written, I will.

I just want to say, EXACTLY, none of us chose our country of birth, imagine if it were you or I living in Haiti right now, with no parents or siblings? For others living in the developed World to say they have their own worries is saddening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritedAway)
    Not wanting to turn this into an argument about the benefit system: we shouldn't .

But also, we live how we do now for a number of reasons; education, work ethic, our job or lack thereof but most importantly, the country in which we are born in. We were not born in a third world country, so instantly we have a better start to life. These people were born in Haiti, a natural disaster happened, people died. If we were born in Haiti, chances are, we could be dead too. We wouldn't know however, nor would we care, because we would be dead. Or at the very least not living how we are now.
    We wouldn't know? I'm pretty sure the vast majority of people living in poverty are well aware people are living in luxury - I bet even in Haiti there are several millionaires. They do have communication systems... What do you think they are thinking when millions of pounds of food, water and medicine suddenly appear? Magic?

Whether you support the benefits system is up to you, of course. However, I believe it is simply greed - not a quality I respect in people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura182)
    It's not mutually exclusive!

I don't know why this is annoying me so much, but it really is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritedAway)
    No, because we have never met these people before. Just like if the man in the apartment below me got murdered, it would evoke no response other than "oh" because I have never met him.
    What if he was sexy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d123)
    That's really good, I think - a lot of people I know are using the excuse 'I don't know where/how to donate, but I would if I could' .
    i dont need an excuse not to donate. neither does anyone else.
    if i dont want you to have my money, then have it you shall not.

ReputationRep:
    No, and I don't plan on doing it to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    And when did I say that? Just a random, not thought out idea - if all 60 million people in the country donated an extra £10 a month to charity that would raise £7,200,000,000 in one year. Are you really suggesting that would result in people losing out on loads of luxuries? No.

depends how much the person makes really doesnt it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d123)
    Well, I have actually done that before. Well, I didn't trade, but I slept out for charity. I'm not saying this to brag, because I don't think giving to charity is something to brag about, it's something everyone should just do naturally. I'm only saying this because a lot of the responses in this thread seem to be saying that we should give to British charity, or animal charities, or whatever, instead of Haiti, failing to recognise that it's not mutually exclusive!

Also, to whoever said they had never heard of Haiti before, how? I'm really bad at knowing countries and stuff, and I've heard of it.
    Nobody said you should give to an animal charity :confused:. Giving to charity should be done naturally, I totally agree with you on that, but for something that you care about and 100% agree with.

It was me who said I had never before heard of Haiti. I just never have come across it before, and tbf, I can't see a reason why I should :dontknow:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJ AgnieszkaA)
    i dont need an excuse not to donate. neither does anyone else.
    if i dont want you to have my money, then have it you shall not.
    Maybe excuse was the wrong word, I should have said reason. These are people who would donate, but don't know how to. If you aren't going to donate, then that's different, H&M asking you won't change your mind, but it will make a difference to the people who want to but haven't had the opportunity.

ReputationRep:
    No; not because i dont care but because id like to get out of my over draft someday

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.