Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Have you donated to Haiti yet? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Have you donated to Haiti yet?
    Yes
    33.03%
    No
    66.97%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d123)
    Well, that's a bit of an unfair assumption. I can say truly and honestly that I do donate to charity in Britain as well - I try to donate to international, national and local charity.
    well then you a good person then :p:
    the main problem i have with all these aid collections, is that people seem to allways forget about the poverty at home. excluding the big issue, i rarely see a collection for something closer home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritedAway)
    It sounds like you were implying it with:

How is it "wrong" then?
    You have no idea how just £10 could help people lose out on luxuries. You could also say that I work pretty damned hard for the little money I do get I deserve to put away so I can treat myself, or save for when something goes wrong. If I hadn't have put away a little bit of my wage each month, I would not be living in "luxury" now, but in minus funds.
    I did say it was a random spur of the moment calculation. Obviously not everyone could donate £10 without giving up all their luxuries but the VAST majority could (yes, even you) - and it could easily be cancelled out by the millionaires giving something like £200 a month or whatever.

(I live below the (UK) poverty line and I have a direct debit donating £12 a month - if I can afford it, the majority can).

ReputationRep:
    Nobody said you should give to an animal charity :confused:. Giving to charity should be done naturally, I totally agree with you on that, but for something that you care about and 100% agree with.

It was me who said I had never before heard of Haiti. I just never have come across it before, and tbf, I can't see a reason why I should :dontknow:.
    I was just using animal charity as an example of another type of charity that had been mentioned in the thread.

And Haiti was always a fairly famous country, came up in the news a few times, and just general knowledge (and on Heroes ...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum9999)
    We wouldn't know? I'm pretty sure the vast majority of people living in poverty are well aware people are living in luxury - I bet even in Haiti there are several millionaires. They do have communication systems... What do you think they are thinking when millions of pounds of food, water and medicine suddenly appear? Magic?

Whether you support the benefits system is up to you, of course. However, I believe it is simply greed - not a quality I respect in people.
    No, we wouldn't know that we were dead. We would be dead, end of!

ReputationRep:
    No, because frankly while it's a tragedy I just don't really care all that much. I didn't donate for any other natural disasters nor saw threads like this one popping up, what makes this more important than say Hurricane Katrina or the Thailand Tsunami etc. etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d123)
    I was just using animal charity as an example of another type of charity that had been mentioned in the thread.

And Haiti was always a fairly famous country, came up in the news a few times, and just general knowledge (and on Heroes ...)
    Hmmm I don't know why I don't know of it then, but I have never come across it :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    depends how much the person makes really doesnt it
    Of course it does, again, it was a quick calculation with a random amount. Most people can cut out £10 a month of unimportant luxuries (like a packet of crisps a day). As I said before, I live below the UK poverty line yet can easily afford a £12 monthly direct debit.

Haiti can **** off, to be honest. They needed money just as much before this as they do now, so why is everyone suddenly bothered?

ReputationRep:
    Of course it does, again, it was a quick calculation with a random amount. Most people can cut out £10 a month of unimportant luxuries (like a packet of crisps a day). As I said before, I live below the UK poverty line yet can easily afford a £12 monthly direct debit.
    i couldnt afford that, i couldnt afford a tenner a month

ReputationRep:
    Considering barely anyone cared before this earthquake, when quite frankly the place was a dump compared to England, no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BillV3)
    No, because frankly while it's a tragedy I just don't really care all that much. I didn't donate for any other natural disasters nor saw threads like this one popping up, what makes this more important than say Hurricane Katrina or the Thailand Tsunami etc. etc.
    I'm not saying it is more important than Hurricane Katrina, but just giving a possible answer. Haiti is one of the poorest countries in the world. America is one of the richest. The government and infrastructure of Haiti is on the verge of/has collapsed. This doesn't necessarily make it more of a tragedy (though it might do) but it does mean that more international help is required.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilson_smith)
    What are you, ten? I'd hardly call myself anything but anti-theist, but to claim religiosity undermines the intrinsic value and worth of human beings likens you more to fanaticism. You really think externally imposed cultural norms are reason enough to degrade their human worth?
    Not at all, but it degrades their value to me, personally, to the point that I wouldn't bother sending a cheque in a crisis. K?

ReputationRep:
    No, we wouldn't know that we were dead. We would be dead, end of!
    " If we were born in Haiti, chances are, we could be dead too. We wouldn't know however, nor would we care, because we would be dead. Or at the very least not living how we are now."

Sorry, I didn't realise you were that ignorant. Most people in Haiti are not dead and the aid going into Haiti is, not surprisingly, for the people still alive. Why would aid be sent to dead people :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BillV3)
    For me the fact that its a natural disaster is what makes me care.
    Although I don't think what happened here is anymore important than the tsunami or hurricane katrina. They were pretty big news stories at the time.

ReputationRep:
    I donated £100.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lella_m)
    Why should I?
    I hope you are never in a terribe suituation like they are. You should be willing to do anything, you think people should do for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    i couldnt afford that, i couldnt afford a tenner a month
    Fine. I'm pretty sure you can but obviously can't (nor want) to prove it over the internet.

ReputationRep:
    I will... I think I gave about 5pounds yesterday...yh it was just about that amount

ReputationRep:
    No :pierre:

have you?

ReputationRep:
    Fine. I'm pretty sure you can but obviously can't (nor want) to prove it over the internet.

i live on less than 50 quid a week, 2 out of 4 weeks of the month i have literally pennies left after paying bills/buying food, anything i need in those 2 week of the month IE toiletries etc i have to wait till the other two weeks of the month to buy which zaps the money for those two weeks

christ i have to save up if i want to buy myself anything so no i can not afford a tenner a month

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.