Turn on thread page Beta

Have you donated to Haiti yet? watch

• View Poll Results: Have you donated to Haiti yet?
    Yes
    33.03%
    No
    66.97%

ReputationRep:
    yet? yet implies i'm going to

ReputationRep:
    Just £5, but yeah.

ReputationRep:
    I've not donated and I probably won't. I rarely see the news or read a newspaper so I had no idea about it for a few days, I've never heard of Haiti, I've never donated to large charities before and prefer to volunteer personally rather than financially.

ReputationRep:
    No, give me a good reason why I should make an exception. The only benefit to me would be "feel-good" factor. And I already feel good.

ReputationRep:
    No, I went out yesterday and bought a jacket

ReputationRep:
    It would be nice if there were any links to genuine collections..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phugoid)
    Not at all, but it degrades their value to me, personally, to the point that I wouldn't bother sending a cheque in a crisis. K?
    I think you'll find you were a little more extreme than that - "I'd rather jump off a cliff than give money to Catholics".

Well allocating personal favour in accordance with nothing more than a societal effect does little help to anti-theism, you, or anyone else. Additionally there's not alot of logic in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilson_smith)
    I think you'll find you were a little more extreme than that - "I'd rather jump off a cliff than give money to Catholics".

Well allocating personal favour in accordance with nothing more than a societal effect does little help to anti-theism, you, or anyone else. Additionally there's not alot of logic in it.
    You believe Catholicism is a 'societal effect'? You believe that Catholics are not responsible for themselves being Catholics, but it is just a by product of their environment?

You think people should not be held accountable for their beliefs, but rather, it should all be attributed to 'societal effect'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Libtolu)
    yet? yet implies i'm going to
    Even worse, 'yet' implies that the OP thinks we're OBLIGATED to. Laughable, really.

ReputationRep:
    Because I don't give ****.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, ego stroking thread. Nice oneeeee.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phugoid)
    You believe Catholicism is a 'societal effect'? You believe that Catholics are not responsible for themselves being Catholics, but it is just a by product of their environment?

You think people should not be held accountable for their beliefs, but rather, it should all be attributed to 'societal effect'?
    Not in absolute sense, no, but to the extent that it's effect does not degenerate the said human beings in my eyes, yes in this case, in Haiti, it is deeply rooted in societel constructs, hence, giving new births little chance of evading such falsehoods. This doesn't remove the ability to attack such a peoples belief-system or hold one accountable for concsious cognitions, but rather the perception you forwarded that it warrants pre-determined prejudices redundant. I'm sure you know as well a i such a devout catholic nation permeates life towards such, and if you were born there you would most likely be Catholic.

ReputationRep:
    I actually can't believe people have never heard of Haiti. I mean, wow. You'd think the world expanded more than Britain and America. :rollseyes:

I'll donate around £30-40 next week.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I donated £1 via text for the Sun's Haiti fund. Not much, but every little helps right? And I just heard that my school is doing own clothes day on friday to raise money (we sixthformers are usually in suits day-to-day), so should be good :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I mean what the heck does the DEC need £2.3m for (20% of donations) for administrative costs??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amii_G)
    I actually can't believe people have never heard of Haiti. I mean, wow. You'd think the world expanded more than Britain and America. :rollseyes:

I'll donate around £30-40 next week.
    Bit random, but I've heard of Haiti years ago from Wyclef Jean and Heroes :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    We got a letter from school today which said 'The Sixth Form would like to make a donation to Haiti on their fellow pupils' behalfs'. Which for some reason really bothered me, because they'd never actually spoken about it to us beforehand and we'd never suggested it. And I'd gladly give money to it, but that way of doing things has put me off.

ReputationRep:
    I donated £20 through my school and my parents have given quite a bit more.

I would never donate through Oxfam or other major charities because they're not really 'charities'...they're businesses with a good cause, there's a difference! Their operational costs are so high who knows how much of our donated money is given to Haiti.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly no, I have no money my parents make me wash cars,cut grass etc for dosh and with this chiilly weather I can't donate anything.

Now if I had a job then I would have sent atleast 20 pounds to them, and If I saw improvements through news reports I would send 2 pounds weekly.

(With the aid not getting through due to bottle necks and poor security, I don't see drastic improvements anytime soon however, I am sentimental to the orphans and hope they find warm loving families who will treat them as their own

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinda.college)
    Honestly no, I have no money my parents make me wash cars,cut grass etc for dosh and with this chiilly weather I can't donate anything.

Now if I had a job then I would have sent atleast 20 pounds to them, and If I saw improvements through news reports I would send 2 pounds weekly.

(With the aid not getting through due to bottle necks and poor security, I don't see drastic improvements anytime soon however, I am sentimental to the orphans and hope they find warm loving families who will treat them as their own

lets hope they actually looked to see if they were all orphans there might be parents thinking their kid is dead when their kid has been adopted.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.