Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hi, I am a third year law student. I am looking to secure a training contract for Sept. 2012. I'm taking a Masters next year, hence why I didn't apply for training contract last year. I have applied for a number of summer placements and have received 2 very good offers to date. A number of firms don't accept placement scheme apps from final year students like me. Should I be applying for training contracts now at these firms? Do they offer training contracts to 3rd years, like me, or graduates, throughout the year? Or do they wait to deal with everyone, 2nd years and everyone else. What about the rule that they may not make offers until September 2 years before TC starts.

To be honest I think firms that are really anal about when you do a Vac Scheme are in the minority. I don't think their Vac Scheme policy will change their TC timetable. If I recall correctly, most firms take most of their TC applications during the early summer, by which time you will have had the chance to do at least some of a Vac Scheme. Some types of firm may be more flexible given that people find TCs mid-way through their LPC. Check web-sites for individual firm policies.
How are you feeling about your exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.