The Student Room Group

Where's your China, the "new world power", now?

Heard a lot of talks about China being the next world power etc etc. After the Haiti, earthquakes, I sure don't see their name in any donor list to the country. The BBC reports the following stats about the biggest donors:

EU - $604m (420m euros; £371m)
US - $100m pledged in immediate aid, with promise of more later
Canada - $58m
UK - $32m
Norway - $17.6m
France - $14.4m
World Bank - $100m

Very interesting about Norway, their economy is approx. 10 times smaller than the UK and France (separately) while they are donating so much!

My questions is, with all these talks about China being the world's 3rd largest economy, where are they now?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
UK is part of the EU and so is France.

Norway is one of the richest countries in the world.
Reply 3
I'm not sure as regards to China, but the Norway thing is because Norway generally raises more country for charity than any other across the world. We're meant to try and, like, 0.7% or something from the total GNP of every country across the globe to help solve problems like poverty, and I think Norway is the only country that manages to do it. Weird, huh?
China is a poor country, it's the "3rd biggest" because of it's population size not because it's rich.
Reply 5
Norway is filthy rich, small population + massive oil reserves = lots of money to spend on international aid and peacekeeping. China's government doesn't really give a toss about anyone but China, they did send some earthquakes experts who had worked on the Sichuan Earthquake mind.
You expect China to give a **** about Haiti? They did send over some teams though.
Maybe spending the money on the tens of millions of people dying from poverty in China perhaps?? China has its own problems, it's still developing, you can hardly expect it to compete with some of the richest in the world eg. Norway.
Reply 8
Moe Lester
You expect China to give a **** about Haiti? They did send over some teams though.

I expect a future world power to give a toss about every situation of international significance, they have enough money to invest in failing financial institutions of the west but nothing for a poor country in distress?
Might as well ask where all the Gulf states are too. Saudi Arabia, UAE, Qatar etc are absolutely loaded, Islam is supposedly big on charity, yet no news there either!
Since when is donating money the definition of a major world power?
Reply 11
i agree with explosions hurt

in both his name and post
Reply 12
i thougth china was a developing country and norway/britain/USA are developed countries ?
China has got trillions of dollars worth of foreign currency reserves, it was said at the height of the credit crunch that china could have bailed the world out fincially be themselves, i doubt that but it woukd be close.

As for the original question, china looks after number one, and they still do that badly.
China has a hard enough job looking after their own country. Anyway they might be rich and powerful but nobody ever said that the chinese government was generous and compassionate.
Another One
I expect a future world power to give a toss about every situation of international significance, they have enough money to invest in failing financial institutions of the west but nothing for a poor country in distress?

but China has no interests there. Haiti is a Western nation, although morally questionable, China doesn't have to help them, it won't get anything out of a country which is already a failed state(basically.).
Reply 16
it would much rather be buying up america's debt.
Another One

Haiti isn't particularly significant to the planet's future, just a disaster.
China is still a developing country. It has money, but it also has 1.3 billion people to look after.
Over $900 million so far? Wow. How much money does Haiti actually need to recover?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending