Turn on thread page Beta

Where's your China, the "new world power", now? watch

ReputationRep:
    Heard a lot of talks about China being the next world power etc etc. After the Haiti, earthquakes, I sure don't see their name in any donor list to the country. The BBC reports the following stats about the biggest donors:

EU - $604m (420m euros; £371m)
    US - $100m pledged in immediate aid, with promise of more later
    Canada - $58m
    UK - $32m
    Norway - $17.6m
    France - $14.4m
    World Bank - $100m

Very interesting about Norway, their economy is approx. 10 times smaller than the UK and France (separately) while they are donating so much!

My questions is, with all these talks about China being the world's 3rd largest economy, where are they now?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    UK is part of the EU and so is France.

Norway is one of the richest countries in the world.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure as regards to China, but the Norway thing is because Norway generally raises more country for charity than any other across the world. We're meant to try and, like, 0.7% or something from the total GNP of every country across the globe to help solve problems like poverty, and I think Norway is the only country that manages to do it. Weird, huh?

ReputationRep:
    China is a poor country, it's the "3rd biggest" because of it's population size not because it's rich.

ReputationRep:
    Norway is filthy rich, small population + massive oil reserves = lots of money to spend on international aid and peacekeeping. China's government doesn't really give a toss about anyone but China, they did send some earthquakes experts who had worked on the Sichuan Earthquake mind.

ReputationRep:
    You expect China to give a **** about Haiti? They did send over some teams though.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe spending the money on the tens of millions of people dying from poverty in China perhaps?? China has its own problems, it's still developing, you can hardly expect it to compete with some of the richest in the world eg. Norway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    You expect China to give a **** about Haiti? They did send over some teams though.
    I expect a future world power to give a toss about every situation of international significance, they have enough money to invest in failing financial institutions of the west but nothing for a poor country in distress?

ReputationRep:
    Might as well ask where all the Gulf states are too. Saudi Arabia, UAE, Qatar etc are absolutely loaded, Islam is supposedly big on charity, yet no news there either!

Since when is donating money the definition of a major world power?

ReputationRep:
    i agree with explosions hurt

in both his name and post

ReputationRep:
    i thougth china was a developing country and norway/britain/USA are developed countries ?

ReputationRep:
    China has got trillions of dollars worth of foreign currency reserves, it was said at the height of the credit crunch that china could have bailed the world out fincially be themselves, i doubt that but it woukd be close.

As for the original question, china looks after number one, and they still do that badly.

ReputationRep:
    China has a hard enough job looking after their own country. Anyway they might be rich and powerful but nobody ever said that the chinese government was generous and compassionate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Another One)
    I expect a future world power to give a toss about every situation of international significance, they have enough money to invest in failing financial institutions of the west but nothing for a poor country in distress?
    but China has no interests there. Haiti is a Western nation, although morally questionable, China doesn't have to help them, it won't get anything out of a country which is already a failed state(basically.).

ReputationRep:
    it would much rather be buying up america's debt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Another One)
    Haiti isn't particularly significant to the planet's future, just a disaster.

ReputationRep:
    China is still a developing country. It has money, but it also has 1.3 billion people to look after.

ReputationRep:
    Over $900 million so far? Wow. How much money does Haiti actually need to recover?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 26, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.