Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    First of all, if America decided it wasn't going to give Haiti a penny, it isn't going to detract anything from their world power status is it?

Secondly, your list has missed a lot of countries. China has given them a lot of money in absolute terms, but of course not in relative terms. They are still a developing nation with a lot of people living beneath the poverty line. China also lost 8 people working for the UN peace force.

ReputationRep:
    Taking into account the massive backlog of aid sitting at Haiti's airport I doubt China donating tons of aid would really help the situation much.

Charity and aid isn't an obligation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude Where's My Username)
    Over $900 million so far? Wow. How much money does Haiti actually need to recover?
    That's 56 pound per person, for everything in the country and the money is coming from the whole world. Britain alone probably spends more painting it's lampposts. $900 million is nothing relatively, well it's means a lot to Haiti obviously, but we wont miss it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by explosions hurt)
    ******* win!

ReputationRep:
    I don't see the connection between China not being a world power, and not giving aid. Neither are connected to the other.

China will soon have the world's number two GDP, and will be economically growing at a high rate for the next few decades whilst the USA may only average 3% growth or so. I wouldn't be surprised if in the future, traditional or simplified Chinese became the international business language. It would make sense if it did.

ReputationRep:
    China will only give aid via IMF, World Bank etc as it brings a form of power with it.

Plus China has over a sixth of the world's population to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Studentus-anonymous)
    Taking into account the massive backlog of aid sitting at Haiti's airport I doubt China donating tons of aid would really help the situation much.
    Its not about actually giving aid, its more about being seen as giving aid and being the international benefactor

ReputationRep:
    Good on Norway! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Another One)
    Its not about actually giving aid, its more about being seen as giving aid and being the international benefactor
    Being a world power means you are powerful on the world stage - it doesn't mean you have to care about other people. Has anyone actually suggested China has an ethical, caring government?

(Original post by Dude Where's My Username)
    Over $900 million so far? Wow. How much money does Haiti actually need to recover?
    Was Haiti even worth $900 million to start with? :curious:

ReputationRep:
    China helps those who help themselves.

ReputationRep:
    Considering how exemplary humanitarian China has been in the past i find this shocking.

ReputationRep:
    I think the money given to Haiti so far is a joke. Thousands of millions are being to spent on wars and nuclear weapons, but when it comes to saving human beings it's like nobody gives a ****. As for China, they've always been the selfish bunch so no surprise there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by explosions hurt)
    i lol'd

ReputationRep:
    You could say the same about India.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe China has its priorities right and isn't bothering to sink money into some tinpot, voodoo ridden LEDC backwater that was little better before the earthquake, when it has nothing to gain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Another One)
    Heard a lot of talks about China being the next world power etc etc. After the Haiti, earthquakes, I sure don't see their name in any donor list to the country. The BBC reports the following stats about the biggest donors:

EU - $604m (420m euros; £371m)
    US - $100m pledged in immediate aid, with promise of more later
    Canada - $58m
    UK - $32m
    Norway - $17.6m
    France - $14.4m
    World Bank - $100m

Very interesting about Norway, their economy is approx. 10 times smaller than the UK and France (separately) while they are donating so much!

My questions is, with all these talks about China being the world's 3rd largest economy, where are they now?

France should be ashamed

China has more people, so a lower GDP capita per head, still China does loads of development in Africa better still it dose not insist on 'market reforms'

ReputationRep:
    China is hardly a world power. It might be a big market governed by one set of rules but you could probably sell more luxury products in one of the EU provinces - like Italy - then in China. It's like calling the African Union a world power. Serious lols. "World power" comes with at least an expectation of not having half your population in poverty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genocidal)
    Was Haiti even worth $900 million to start with? :curious:

Valid Point

But you forgetting of that 900 over 75% will get lost in administrative cost

ReputationRep:
    Why are WE giving so much?!! We always do this!! ITs not that i dont care but someone else can pick up the bill this time. FFS

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 26, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.