Turn on thread page Beta

Where's your China, the "new world power", now? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomassss)
    France should be ashamed

China has more people, so a lower GDP capita per head, still China does loads of development in Africa better still it dose not insist on 'market reforms'
    all of CHina's interests in Africa are purely out of commercial concerns. Oil rigs etc..

ReputationRep:
    When China had the biggest earthquake of its history in 2008, did Haiti give a damn about it?

No. So, why should China do this time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by explosions hurt)
    lol.:cool:

ReputationRep:
    China donated $1mil, because they anticipated that was enough so what's the problem?

ReputationRep:
    Since when does SUPERPOWER = Biggest Charity Contributor

I mean you could say the USSR financially supported a bunch of countries around the world...?

ReputationRep:
    I think the bigger question : where is Japan in all of this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by explosions hurt)
    lololol EPICNESS! THANK YOU SO MUCH.:lol:

ReputationRep:
    If you ask me I think China hasnt open up/warmed up to any country's, maybe thats the reason.
    A more realistic answer is China view Haiti as a burden, an inferior economy- may I say whats the benefit of China helping a weaker country?
    None, so they've donated little as a gesture of good faith and to save face.

ReputationRep:
    Since when did the measure of donations determine a super power?

Besides, being a super power doesn't mean a country is filthy rich...even India and Brazil are set to become superpowers according to IMF predictions but they'll still have a lot of poverty and poor standard of living.

In comparison, there's the tiny economies like Norway and Switzerland that are, relative to their size, filthy rich.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwilson03)
    I think the bigger question : where is Japan in all of this?
    They agreed to offer up to $5million, which isn't much at all considering their economy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Playboy King)
    They agreed to offer up to $5million, which isn't much at all considering their economy.
    Some of these figures are complete nonsense. Why are countries offering such low amounts which a team of footballers could donate quite easily? A team like Man City where many players earn above £100k a week could easily raise $5m (£3m or whatever it is) just by each player donating a week's wages. For an ENTIRE country it seems ridiculous that they don't offer a lot more.

ReputationRep:
    On one of the first days after on the news I saw a China flag being planted in Haiti, it just doesn't get shown as much on how other countries help out..

ReputationRep:
    Maybe China have realised that you don't get powerful by giving other people free money.

ReputationRep:
    China won't be anything great until 2050.

ReputationRep:
    I don't get this thread. Where's China? Probably at home, giggling as it rolls around in its piles of money whilst it watches the 'stoopid' rest of the world giving money away. That's probably why their economy's going to keep on a growing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LukeatForest)
    I don't get this thread. Where's China? Probably at home, giggling as it rolls around in its piles of money whilst it watches the 'stoopid' rest of the world giving money away. That's probably why their economy's going to keep on a growing.
    A GDP of $6,000 per capita is not exactly "piles of money".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Another One)
    I expect a future world power to give a toss about every situation of international significance, they have enough money to invest in failing financial institutions of the west but nothing for a poor country in distress?
    They will make money on that, haiti is like throwing your money down the drain, china cares more about things that affect it, not the rest of the world.

~When millions of chinese people live in similar **** conditions to haiti i think thoses poor rural chinese need to be brought into the 21st century before they give money away.

(Original post by Louise_x)
    I'm not sure as regards to China, but the Norway thing is because Norway generally raises more country for charity than any other across the world. We're meant to try and, like, 0.7% or something from the total GNP of every country across the globe to help solve problems like poverty, and I think Norway is the only country that manages to do it. Weird, huh?
    The thing is, in terms of GNP Norway isn't that big. But in terms of foreign exchange reserves due to saving up north sea oil money, it has TONNES lying around.

So it's not really hard for donate norway to donate 17 million when each of its citizens, were they to retire today, would receive a million pension each.

ReputationRep:
    They sent a rescue team and 13 mil worth of clothes, tents and medicine. What more do you want? Not like they ignored it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james_wong_711)
    Besides, the first and foremost lesson any Chinese kid gets from birth is HARD WORK NOT EXPECTING ANYTHING FROM ANYONE! So, the Chinese mentality is, work hardest you can, and, maybe, you'll survive and maybe if you are super lucky, you'll get something as a reward.
    Yeah I like the part about working hard, everybody should keep this mentality, but the problem is when people/countries become rich, and are born into a world of opportunity like most of the idiots on here, they don't relaise how lucky they are and take it for granted, and don't progress any further.

That's why this mentality is seen in most people amongst most developing nations.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 26, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.