Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Where's your China, the "new world power", now? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    According to Wikipedia ( i know it isn't realiable), China donated $5 million USD to Haiti.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Another One)
    I expect a future world power to give a toss about every situation of international significance, they have enough money to invest in failing financial institutions of the west but nothing for a poor country in distress?
    how you gonna be a world power if you give your money away?

The key word there is invest...

ReputationRep:
    China is a legitimate superpower already. It is one of the 5 countries in the UN with veto power (along with the US, UK, Russia and France).

It is the second largest economy in the world by many estimations, and quickly on its way to becoming number one. It has the largest military in the world, and has bought up half the bloody natural resources in Africa. While financial centre in Europe (e.g City of London) are on the decline, Shanghai is booming like never before.

China is also playing an influential role in vetoing any sanctions on Iran at the moment, despite the fact that the Western nations all want this, so it clearly is a major player.

They are a massive country, run by a largely dictatorial, but extremely shrewd government. When people look back in the history books in 500 years time, they will see the West shooting themselves in the foot. Donating millions of dollars of aid to some godforsaken vodoo haven like Haiti, whilst China calmly goes about its business of (potentially) world domination.

China doesn't really care about giving to other countries as such, unless it benefits them in some way. That's why they have given almost nothing (I think 4 million USD) to Haiti. I can't say anything against them, they are just being intelligent and looking out for number one, while everybody in the West seems to think it's "the right thing to do" and is obsessed with becoming a politically correct drone.

Oh, also another reason that you guys missed for the relative lack of aid to Haiti, is that the Haitian government refused to recognise China as numero uno in relation to Taiwan.

It's an issue China is very sensitive about, and in my opinion they will strike sometime in the not too distant future (50 year time period) to reclaim Taiwan for themselves.

I like China, I agree with everything they are doing. I'm ashamed to be British, and most of all, I'm ******* ashamed of our pathetic government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dotherma)
    China is a legitimate superpower already. It is one of the 5 countries in the UN with veto power (along with the US, UK, Russia and France).

It is the second largest economy in the world by many estimations, and quickly on its way to becoming number one. It has the largest military in the world, and has bought up half the bloody natural resources in Africa. While financial centre in Europe (e.g City of London) are on the decline, Shanghai is booming like never before.

China is also playing an influential role in vetoing any sanctions on Iran at the moment, despite the fact that the Western nations all want this, so it clearly is a major player.

They are a massive country, run by a largely dictatorial, but extremely shrewd government. When people look back in the history books in 500 years time, they will see the West shooting themselves in the foot. Donating millions of dollars of aid to some godforsaken vodoo haven like Haiti, whilst China calmly goes about its business of (potentially) world domination.

China doesn't really care about giving to other countries as such, unless it benefits them in some way. That's why they have given almost nothing (I think 4 million USD) to Haiti. I can't say anything against them, they are just being intelligent and looking out for number one, while everybody in the West seems to think it's "the right thing to do" and is obsessed with becoming a politically correct drone.

Oh, also another reason that you guys missed for the relative lack of aid to Haiti, is that the Haitian government refused to recognise China as numero uno in relation to Taiwan.

It's an issue China is very sensitive about, and in my opinion they will strike sometime in the not too distant future (50 year time period) to reclaim Taiwan for themselves.

I like China, I agree with everything they are doing. I'm ashamed to be British, and most of all, I'm ******* ashamed of our pathetic government.
    China doesn't have the most pwoerful military in the world, quality over quantity my friend, the US still leads the way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    China doesn't have the most pwoerful military in the world, quality over quantity my friend, the US still leads the way.
    The us is the most powerful but i wouldn't say "quality".

On average our troops are better trained. However Americans have the better quality gear, but you are correct with china, if they could train and arm them to a high standard i think they would probably be the best because they could just field 10 times the amount o fsoldiers as anyone else.

ReputationRep:
    I never said they had the best military, but certainly the largest, which in time will be an important factor. Most statistics show that the US does over 50% of the total military spending in the world, so it is not surprising that they have the best equipment etc. and you are right that at this point in time, they have superior military capabilities.

But for how long? China's government has more and more income at its disposal to bulk up its military, and the US is in a ton of debt. Yet it seems content to blow money on some backwards voodoo land. Bizarre.

As I said, this period in western history will go down as a case of "shooting ourselves in the foot".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Libtolu)
    The us is the most powerful but i wouldn't say "quality".

On average our troops are better trained. However Americans have the better quality gear, but you are correct with china, if they could train and arm them to a high standard i think they would probably be the best because they could just field 10 times the amount o fsoldiers as anyone else.
    Soldiers aside, the US has a better navy, airforce and army.

ReputationRep:
    Heard a lot of talks about China being the next world power etc etc. After the Haiti, earthquakes, I sure don't see their name in any donor list to the country. The BBC reports the following stats about the biggest donors:

EU - $604m (420m euros; £371m)
    US - $100m pledged in immediate aid, with promise of more later
    Canada - $58m
    UK - $32m
    Norway - $17.6m
    France - $14.4m
    World Bank - $100m

Very interesting about Norway, their economy is approx. 10 times smaller than the UK and France (separately) while they are donating so much!

My questions is, with all these talks about China being the world's 3rd largest economy, where are they now?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanit...iti_earthquake

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genocidal)
    Was Haiti even worth $900 million to start with? :curious:
    Lol Sir Alan Sugar is worth more than Haiti

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UGeNe)
    Since when does SUPERPOWER = Biggest Charity Contributor

I mean you could say the USSR financially supported a bunch of countries around the world...?
    The USSR financially and technologically supported a ****load of countries.

ReputationRep:
    lol Gabon pledged as much in aid as China did, and The Congo pledged more.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe they aren't that bothered about helping a country so far away from them, especially when most of the other donors spend all their time giving moral superiority lectures to the Chinese.

ReputationRep:
    China is, and always has been, only concerned about China. I'd far prefer the new world power to keep out of everyones lives full stop, than give money to natural disaster victims to balance out pointless wars in the east a la USA or Britain.

ReputationRep:
    Wow Japan even less. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Heard a lot of talks about China being the next world power etc etc. After the Haiti, earthquakes, I sure don't see their name in any donor list to the country. The BBC reports the following stats about the biggest donors:

EU - $604m (420m euros; £371m)
    US - $100m pledged in immediate aid, with promise of more later
    Canada - $58m
    UK - $32m
    Norway - $17.6m
    France - $14.4m
    World Bank - $100m

Very interesting about Norway, their economy is approx. 10 times smaller than the UK and France (separately) while they are donating so much!

My questions is, with all these talks about China being the world's 3rd largest economy, where are they now?

Simply because china is not the biggest donors, doesn't mean it make not donation at all.
    And the name next world power is imposed on it. Have questions about this name, ask those givers, not receivers if you still have some common sense.

ReputationRep:
    Brb, going to go and fake an earthquake, receiving millions, if not billions in the process.

ReputationRep:
    Oh God, I've just spent 2 hours in a lecture/seminar on Chinese development strategies. YAWN.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joy Division)
    Wow Japan even less. :eek:
    tbf Japan's economy is completely ****** right now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FyreFight)
    lol Gabon pledged as much in aid as China did, and The Congo pledged more.
    it has given 5 million + aid workers? Gabon only gave 1 million?

ReputationRep:
    Haiti is america's problem!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 26, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.