Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    1 year and 2 weeks ago we bought a HP TouchSmart 300-1000 Desktop PC from Comet.
    Yesterday when my mum turned it on from sleep mode, the screen went blue and absolutely nothing happened.
    She tried the good old on-and-off several times and the blue screen kept appearing. It won't work at all and my dad is convinced the hard drive has basically knackered - does that sound right?
    Or could it be something else? The 1 year warranty expired 1 week ago believe it or not and we don't know what to do! Is there anything we can do to save it?! I don't know what I'm expecting to receive in reply, just hoping someone may have experienced the same and can pass advice, if any, on.
    Thanks!
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    I have a TouchSmart :holmes:

Anyway, when you say blue screen.. do you mean the blue screen of death (has lots of white writing on it)? Or just a blue screen in general? If it's a blue screen of death, what's the error code?

ReputationRep:
    Not sure right at this second (I'm at uni you see but trying to help long-distance) but can find out for you shortly! Thanks for the quick reply an' all

ReputationRep:
    Right so apparently it's a blue screen with white writing - but no error code, just the 'HP Invent' logo and words, but no numbers. What would an error code look like?
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by MonPetitPois)
    Right so apparently it's a blue screen with white writing - but no error code, just the 'HP Invent' logo and words, but no numbers. What would an error code look like?
    Ah, I see. That's not the blue screen of death, which makes it a bit difficult. Ok, for the benefit of any other helpers, the blue screen being referred to is HP's version of the post screen.

I will look into it for you later as I'm a little busy at the moment, but hopefully I will have a few ideas of what has gone wrong and what you can do to fix it, if anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by secretmessages)
    Ah, I see. That's not the blue screen of death, which makes it a bit difficult. Ok, for the benefit of any other helpers, the blue screen being referred to is HP's version of the post screen.

I will look into it for you later as I'm a little busy at the moment, but hopefully I will have a few ideas of what has gone wrong and what you can do to fix it, if anything.
    Thank-you so much. I'll post you my e-mail incase I forget to check on here and leave it for weeks on end again!

ReputationRep:
    hmmm, ok so its not posting

try updating the BIOS.
    download the file on another computer, put it on a cd/flash drive then put it in the laptop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsheppard11)
    hmmm, ok so its not posting

try updating the BIOS.
    download the file on another computer, put it on a cd/flash drive then put it in the laptop.
    Sorry, what's the BIOS? Total novice.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by MonPetitPois)
    Sorry, what's the BIOS? Total novice.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...kthroughs#BIOS

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 20, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.