Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How to come to terms with not being naturally clever? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    First year med who is a high achiever who believes he got there through hard work and hard work only. In terms of what I deem to be hard work: 1)Crammed like mad...like mad over the xmas hols for my Xmas exams- I nailed them. 2) Tries to understand a day's lecture by reading up on the topic.

Question: How can I come to terms with this?

I say this as I seem to be pretty poor during tutorials getting the logic questions wrong when put on the spot but seems to be " smarter" when thinking on my own free from others.I am not instinctive and it demotivates me.

Problem: My success seems to confuse me as to whether or not I actually have an ability or not!?

Why stay with something that I dont have a natural aptitude for?

ReputationRep:
    hard work will get you far not many people can naturally do it especially with med you just gotta learn and carry on like u r

ReputationRep:
    I can understand and memorise but when I compare my problem solving ability without using acquired knowledge...it just isnt up to scratch....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Halpert)
    First year med who is a high achiever who believes he got there through hard work and hard work only. In terms of what I deem to be hard work: 1)Crammed like mad...like mad over the xmas hols for my Xmas exams- I nailed them. 2) Tries to understand a day's lecture by spending an hour reading up on the topic. Started doign this after I hated the whole cramming thing I did during xmas.

Question: How can I come to terms with this?

I say this as I seem to be pretty poor during tutorials getting the logic questions wrong when put on the spot but seems to be " smarter" when thinking on my own free from others.I am not instinctive and it demotivates me.

Problem: My success seems to confuse me as to whether or not I actually have an ability or not!?

Why stay with something that I dont have a natural aptitude for?
    I think everyone works hard. You can be naturally clever, but you still need to work hard to succeed. Why do you need to have a natural aptitude for it? As long as you are good at your job at the end of the day you have just as much of a right to be there as anyone else. Just keep working hard and you'll get where you want. You seem like you just need to re-motivate yourself. I'm sure there are loads of people on your course and other unis who feel a lot more insecure about their subject choice than you do! Just stick with it, if you're doing well then you deserve to be there. The tests are what count, not what you do in the tutorials!

ReputationRep:
    What sets people apart is there willingness and persevernce for hard work.

ReputationRep:
    Figure it out :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Halpert)
    I can understand and memorise but when I compare my problem solving ability without using acquired knowledge...it just isnt up to scratch....
    Ditto.

ReputationRep:
    Intelligence can only get you so far. I know people who can go into lectures on difficult subjects and remember and understand it easily. On the other hand they settle for C grades when it comes to doing the coursework.

In my opinion the ability to work hard is the primary differentiator between top and mediocre students.

ReputationRep:
    Different people really. My brother is naturally clever, but he is -very- lazy that he hardly revises for exams or does much of anything, but he tends to get the mid-range B/C marks in his Sixth Form studies. If he worked as much as some other people do, they'd easily be an A/A* grade student by now.

The fact is that all of us are different, some need to cram and do that extra bit of work, while others rely on their natural intelligence to get by.
    I'd be more proud of myself, if I earned a B grade through hard work, then getting it by luck.

ReputationRep:
    I am naturally clever but at uni have been let down often by my work ethic and disorganisation. Hard work counts for a lot later in life - be glad you have the instinct for it!

ReputationRep:
    Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.

ReputationRep:
    I'd much rather be hard working and motivated than just naturally clever.

As it is I'm completely unmotivated and a lazy **** and it sucks

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.