Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

High achiever that needs to come to terms with not being naturally clever. watch

I think it might just be that doing med at uni is quite hard and you can't just rely on being clever!! From my experience (in my first year of a mech eng degree) this feels like the first time I'm actually really studying.

For GCSEs and A Levels, I worried about them and revision was maybe like a day or two before exams or in some cases the evening before... I certainly never actually read through my notes from class - I just read books! I did my homework most of the time and of course coursework... but this degree thing is something completely different. I'm actually having to read and re-read my notes, make more notes and go over and over questions!

I'm pretty sure I can safely say that you are not alone even if you feel like no one else is in your position I bet most/all your classmates are... Studying medicine is never going to be easy you're going to have to work with it. If you weren't naturally clever you wouldn't be there in the first place.

Practise makes perfect. I also think that in time as you study and become more confident the "logic" thing should fall into place.

At least that's what I think. Also Mr Einstein said this: "It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer."

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Why stay with something that I dont have a natural aptitude for?
    The money.

Trust me, that problem solving ability can be worked on and improved. I used to feel the same way when it came to physics at high school, but my problem solving abilities on the whole have dramatically improved.

Also, I think the fact that you're surrounded by high-achieving intelligent med students probably puts all this unnecessary pressure on you OP - don't stress so much about it

there are different types of intelligence dont put yourself down
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 20, 2010
How are you feeling about your exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.