Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if this is an exothermic or endothermic reaction and explain why?
    (sorry about the no subscript numbers - dont know how to do it on here)

C02(g) + 2H2O(g) = CH4(g) + 2O2(g)

Iv only started this topic today at school so can you try and explain as simply as possible - Thanks!!

X

ReputationRep:
    ooh good question, i'm reckoning the forward equation is endothermic, co2 and h2o are fairly stable molecules so you'd have to put a lot of energy in to break the bonds. that and the backwards reaction is the combustion of methane, which if im not mistaken is an exothermic reaction.

someone feel free to correct if wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Artymess)
    ooh good question, i'm reckoning the forward equation is endothermic, co2 and h2o are fairly stable molecules so you'd have to put a lot of energy in to break the bonds. that and the backwards reaction is the combustion of methane, which if im not mistaken is an exothermic reaction.

someone feel free to correct if wrong
    Sounds good to me . I come up with the exact same reasoning. I think you're mainly supposed to be able to tell by the fact the backwards reaction is the complete combustion of a hydrocarbon which is always exothermic.

ReputationRep:
    Kyri's got it spot on.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yh! I understand Thankyou

ReputationRep:
    very good question!!!! i like questions like these, tests your understanding.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.