Turn on thread page Beta

Arghh driving problem! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

I've been having driving lessons for several months now and was about ready to book my test but then my instructor changed his car from a Corsa to a Fiat 500 and it is like I am completely starting again! I've had a couple of lessons with the new car but it is really hard not to stall and I've gone from being pretty competent on the manouvers to being useless at them. I have a 2nd (probably 3rd :P) hand Corsa to practice in outside lessons and I drive much better in that than this new Fiat thing so I'm thinking:

Should I cancel my driving lessons and just book my test and go out insane amounts in the Corsa with my parents, just try to plough through with my instructor's new car? It's just that driving is so expensive and the last few months in the Corsa just seem pointless if I carry on with his new car!

Phew rant over thanks for any help / advice!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, do what you suggest

ReputationRep:
    honestly, every car is different to drive, but if you've learnt the basics in one car, the skills will transfer to the new one soon enough. I learnt in a mini, passed my test then as soon as i got into my own car (a fiat punto) i was stalling and over-revving, breaking too hard etc etc until i got used to it. Just give it another couple of lessons and you should adapt to it no problem

ReputationRep:
    Do you learn with BSM?

There'll be loads of instructors available with Corsas who will probably happily take you on if you want for real lessons. There's even a firm here called 'Corsa Can Pass'

ReputationRep:
    Yeah BSM are good. Had a habit of sometimes swapping me between a 1.2 corsa and a 1.8 astra though.

ReputationRep:
    I was with BSM, but they swtiched the cars a few weeks after me test, thank god!
    Feel really sorry for you, but I know you can take the test in your own car, so you could try and do that!

ReputationRep:
    Plough on through for a couple more lessons, you will pick it up. But if you don't feel confident again after then take it in the Corsa, just practice loads etc especially manoeuvres.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k823127)
    Plough on through for a couple more lessons, you will pick it up. But if you don't feel confident again after then take it in the Corsa, just practice loads etc especially manoeuvres.
    My thoughts too.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks v. much for all the replies

I'll definately practice in my Corsa at least 3 times a week now and do all the manouvers in it, and perhaps take a couple of lessons just before my test, preferably in my Corsa, to make sure that I'm not making any horrific errors :P

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    Your instructor *might* let you use your own car for lessons, that's what I did. It's worth asking.

ReputationRep:
    yes i reckon you should ask your instructor if you can use your own car if you are competent enough and ifs its safe.
    My instructor told me not to drive my car a week or so before my test or else i will get confused between that and the car i was taking my test in, so that may be worth bearing in mind.

ReputationRep:
    BSM and their bubble cars :mmm:

Dunno why you're finding it so hard though, they both have roughly the same engine size AFAIK...

You should be able to use your own car though it may be a little bit more expensive...

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you ask your instructor if youcan have lessons with them in your car? That's what my instructor suggested to me, and plus she said it makes the lessons cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    See if your instructor will allow you to have lessons using your car, this is what I did after so many lessons and me telling him I could drive my own car better :p:. I took my test in my car too (a Corsa!), and if you do this, make sure there's no recall on it, as when I arrived for my test they wouldn't let me take it without a certificate to say it was safe - even though I told them it wasn't part of the recall. It resulted in me having to wait another 4weeks for a test when I'd already been waiting 6!

ReputationRep:
    This might not help, it helped me with stalling and i've not stalled a car for years, started on a Corsa and then passed and just did what i wanted on my Clio and never stalled it, now on a ZR 1.8 and same can never recall stalling once. Basically screw finding the biting point, give it some revs (no more than 2k) and lift the clutch up, you will never stall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Artymess)
    honestly, every car is different to drive, but if you've learnt the basics in one car, the skills will transfer to the new one soon enough.
    i agree, the driving skills should transfer over just give it time!, i had the same problem when using different cars to learn in, i had 2 lessons in a corsa, then the rest of my lessons until i passed in bigger astra that was more powerful then when i passed i got a 1995 fiesta, which was obviously......'different' to drive! (my test drive went so badly! it was the 1st time i drove since on my test and due to lack or power steering i almost went on the pavement! :eek: ) and the clutch was all funny and i stalled a million times...anyway, had that car for 2 1/2 years and got a new cars 3 months ago....same thing, the clutch is really different and i stalled about 4 times during the 1st couple of weeks....

anyway, the point is, driving a new car will feel strange...and you may stall all the time, but you get used to it, there will probably be a point where you wont be driving a corsa so its something you will have to do at some point and drive a car that feels weird, i can see how you feel its a setback because you are in a way paying for lessons to get used to the new car and not progressing as before, i would be annoyed if the car changed before my test also!

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.