Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I'm currently doing my A2s, History, Economics and English Lit, having done RS and dropped it post AS. Ever since year 10 I've been anticipating doing politics and philosophy at uni, being really interested in it and constantly reading in that area. In late October I applied for Pol/Phil at all 5 choices, all relatively good unis, from Glasgow and York to LSE.

Now I'm having second thoughts. I've become really involved in economics, I like the subject at A2 and have read alot of econ that interests me (Milton Friedman, Paul Krugman, Joseph Stiglitz, Keynes etc.) and I've become interested in studying economics and politics instead.
    I'm predicted A*AAb with another A* in general studies, and I feel now that I'm likely to get A*A*Ab with A* in genstud...which puts me in good position to get into most top unis (I would hope)

However my problem is, I haven't done math, and to do economics at any top uni (I'm looking specifically at Oxford, LSE, UCL, Warwick) rightly requires math...the only thing I can think to do is take a year out, do AS and A2 maths at my school, and reapply next year.

It seems like a long time to spend just doing maths, but I could find other things to do with my time and I am passionate about economics....still, thinking about a year still in school is painful...

Any advice? Tips on any way I could do the maths faster and have free time later in the year for other things? I'm really quite lost.
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.