Turn on thread page Beta

Does wearing a lot of black look pretentious or odd? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I just like the colour. I don't look particualarly gothic or anything.

ReputationRep:
    Black is usually a very flattering colour and slimming so a popular colour to wear! Although wearing an outfit entirely of black may be a bit odd, but if you feel good in it, then be comfortable in your own skin and don't worry about what anyone else thinks.

ReputationRep:
    Both.

ReputationRep:
    Why does it make a difference?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yodude888)
    Why does it make a difference?
    People generally don't want to look pretentious or odd.

ReputationRep:
    Essentially, it looks ******* awesome. Though, normally I have one small piece which isn't black, say the t-shirt under my jumper which is just slightly visible or my shoes. But those'll be neutral colours anyway.

ReputationRep:
    im wearing all black today no one said i looked odd i like black makes you look slimmer ......depends how you wear it i suppose well my black top has a picture on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invocation)
    People generally don't want to look pretentious or odd.
    No, I meant why would black have either effect?

ReputationRep:
    not really. i often wear all black outfits (maybe a coloured scarf to go wiiiiild) and it's fine, but i suppose it could look a little iffy if you were wearing generally odd/pretentious clothes

ReputationRep:
    I think it's quite classy, wearing all black
    Maybe you could break it up a little and wear a scarf or carry a bag of a different colour, if it concerns you that is...

ReputationRep:
    Of course not
    Just think of Johnny Cash, 'The Man In Black', one of the mostly highly regarded country musicians in history.
    Wearing black doesn't make you pretentious or odd, or indicate that you are at all! :P

ReputationRep:
    My bf wore a black tee and black jeans and it didn't look odd or pretentious. Looked hot actually.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on how you wear it, if you wear it like lagerfeld then it can be seen as VERY pretentious but if you wear it normal it would not look pretentious

I guess

"I hope you understand what I mean"

ReputationRep:
    I almost do it regularly. Black shoes, black t-shirt, black jumper/jacket. Very dark blue jeans though, no black jeans.

Never really thought it was odd, other people don't either.(or at least don't comment on it)

ReputationRep:
    All black clothes looks a bit too much. Pretentious and odd are the wrong words to use, but yeah... Unless you've got something of a different colour, then don't go for everything in black.

ReputationRep:
    I wear black regularly - i didnt realise that it had the potential of being pretentious ...its quite a flattering colour on most people..

ReputationRep:
    Niether. Its flattering.

98% colour isn't important to how people see you.

Goth black is different to fashion model black.

Its all about the styling.. if you can style it out... go for it!

ReputationRep:
    it's :cool:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by vin)
    it's :cool:
    Motion seconded :cool:

ReputationRep:
    No (unless very excessive!)

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.