Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to go to Oxford in a few years time to study Economics and Management. I know that the official entry requirements for Oxford are AAA at A level.

However, it would be really helpful if people who got into Oxford for E&M could post the subjects and grades that they got at A level. This way I would have some real life examples to try and live up to. Thanks for any other info you have on Oxford E&M entry.

ReputationRep:
    I can't help, but as far as I know that's one of Oxford's more competitive courses? So I'd imagine pretty high, you'll really have to stand out more than most. Good luck with it OP!

ReputationRep:
    I think an offer that wasn't AAA would be extremely rare and would normally require extenuating circumstances of some sort. I'll move this to the oxford forum though as you'll probably get a better response.

ReputationRep:
    If you have 3 As (inc maths) and at least 'average' on the TSA test, you should get an interview. Then you just have to nail that (easier said than done).

ReputationRep:
    I had an interview for E&M at Hertford(got rejected) being predicted A* in business studies and history and A in maths. There was a lot of varied subjects being studied by the people I met, but everyone I met was predicted at least 3 A's. The TSA seems to have a lot of bearing on when you get an interview but not on whether you receive an offer.

ReputationRep:
    It'll be A* star by then mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    It'll be A* star by then mate.
    Most likely.

ReputationRep:
    Right now, they all have AAA. E&M is very competetive.
    Oxford has said they'll wait to see what A*'s are worth, so if you're lucky you won't need those, but getting predicted some A*'s definitly won't hurt your chances.
    As for subjects, I'd definitly recommend Maths, for the other two just go for whatever subjects you're interested in, but don't risk really 'soft' options.

ReputationRep:
    In UMS terms I got: 588/600 in Econ, 592/600 in Math, 554/600 in Physics, 545/600 in FM and 289/300 in Geo AS- which is the equivalent of A*A*A*A*a. However, I think your score in the TSA is as least as important as your A-level grades so dont worry too much (esp as Oxford dont ask for module grades).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Achajecki)
    In UMS terms I got: 588/600 in Econ, 592/600 in Math, 554/600 in Physics, 545/600 in FM and 289/300 in Geo AS- which is the equivalent of A*A*A*A*a. However, I think your score in the TSA is as least as important as your A-level grades so dont worry too much (esp as Oxford dont ask for module grades).
    I strongly disagree with your comment about the TSA..

I got 62.6 (average is 60) and I got an offer.

OP, my grades were as follows:

AS Grades:

Maths A (280/300)
    Further Maths A (267/300)
    English A (188/200)
    Physics A (289/300)
    History A (179/200)

GCSE Grades:

English Lit A*
    English A*
    Maths A*
    Stats A*
    German A*
    History (Year 10) A*
    Business Studies A*
    Science A*
    Additional Science A
    ICT A
    Religious Studies A*
    PE A

If you have any questions about the process feel free to post them here, or PM me if you would prefer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kylesawhney)
    I strongly disagree with your comment about the TSA..
    I think it depends hugely on how good the rest of your application is. In my case my GCSE's were pretty terrible for an Oxford applicant (only 4A*s...) so I needed to make up for them. Conversely, your GCSE results were very strong so the TSA didn't matter as much.

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends hugely on how good the rest of your application is. In my case my GCSE's were pretty terrible for an Oxford applicant (only 4A*s...) so I needed to make up for them. Conversely, your GCSE results were very strong so the TSA didn't matter as much.
    Yeah i would agree that TSA is roughly equal in importance to GCSE results

.. i just don't think they're anywhere near as important as AS results :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i would agree that TSA is roughly equal in importance to GCSE results

.. i just don't think they're anywhere near as important as AS results :p:
    As which point in my post did I say TSA results were as important as GCSE's? I would say that for anyone with sub-par GCSE's they are at least as important as A-level predictions/AS results.

ReputationRep:
    As which point in my post did I say TSA results were as important as GCSE's? I would say that for anyone with sub-par GCSE's they are at least as important as A-level predictions/AS results.
    You implied it by saying that they mattered for your application because your GCSE's were weak, and that conversely it didn't matter as much for my application because my GCSE's were comparably stronger...

Believe what you want to believe but I would wholeheartedly disagree with you that they are as important as AS grades. Go look on the TSA 2009 thread and you'll see how many people with incredible TSA scores got rejected pre-interview, and how many candidates with very mediocre scores got in.

ReputationRep:
    You implied it by saying that they mattered for your application because your GCSE's were weak, and that conversely it didn't matter as much for my application because my GCSE's were comparably stronger...

Believe what you want to believe but I would wholeheartedly disagree with you that they are as important as AS grades. Go look on the TSA 2009 thread and you'll see how many people with incredible TSA scores got rejected pre-interview, and how many candidates with very mediocre scores got in.
    Please point out a single person with an "incredible" TSA score (I'll be nice and say incredible is a score of 70+) who was rejected pre-interview.
    Edit: If you want to continue this debate I suggest we do so through PMing- I've just noticed we've kinda hijacked the thread.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 22, 2010
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.