Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'll most likely be studying at Caley university this september , I've just got a few questions about the accomodation.

Does anyone have like a plan layout of one of the flats?

Whats the best flats to stay in, I'm a party kid so noise and the party side isn't a problem?

Can you choose whether your in a mixed flat or single sex flat? I'd preferably like to be in a mixed group.

Do they offer En suite's?

I think thats everything

ReputationRep:
    I thought I would bump this because I would like to know the answer too. The stuff that I found on their website about accomodation really wasn't all that helpful - I don't want to share a bathroom haha!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not at Caley, but i visit my friend there so i will attempt to answer a couple of questions!

They do offer en suite. And i *think* you can specify mixed sex or single sex in your application. My friend is in mixed.

All the flats are in the same place, so i don't think there is really a 'best' option, as they are all the same.

Don't know if that will help at all, but it's all i know!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Biggsx)
    I thought I would bump this because I would like to know the answer too. The stuff that I found on their website about accomodation really wasn't all that helpful - I don't want to share a bathroom haha!
    :hahaha: Yeah I didn't really sharing the bathroom, I thought I was the only one who thought the information they gave on their website about accomodation was appalling.

(Original post by dreamyeyed)
    I'm not at Caley, but i visit my friend there so i will attempt to answer a couple of questions!

They do offer en suite. And i *think* you can specify mixed sex or single sex in your application. My friend is in mixed.

All the flats are in the same place, so i don't think there is really a 'best' option, as they are all the same.

Don't know if that will help at all, but it's all i know!
    Thanks.

Also if you visit him before I go you wouldn't mind bumping up this thread or dropping me a PM with a little more info.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Splodger)
    :hahaha: Yeah I didn't really sharing the bathroom, I thought I was the only one who thought the information they gave on their website about accomodation was appalling.

If I go up on a visit day I doubt whether they will let me have a look at the accomodation because obviously there will be students in them! If I do get to have a peak then I will let you know - I'm hoping there will be a few other students on the visit otherwise it will feel pretty awkward...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Biggsx)
    If I go up on a visit day I doubt whether they will let me have a look at the accomodation because obviously there will be students in them! If I do get to have a peak then I will let you know - I'm hoping there will be a few other students on the visit otherwise it will feel pretty awkward...
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm in Caledonain Court at the moment, if my room where tidier I'd upload photos right now. But any questions feel free to PM me.

ReputationRep:
    I stayed in Caledonian Court for my first year. Really enjoyed it and would recommend it.

They do offer en-suite which is a little bit more expensive than the shared toilets but I think the en-suite flats are much better.

There was a place on the form that asked if you wouldn't mind staying in a mixed flat. But theres no guarantee you will be put in one because I put down to be in a mixed flat and was put in a flat with all girls

ReputationRep:
    Live message from Caledonian Court.

I can certainly say that you can get ensuite rooms - as I have one myself!
    The flats are very worn down and often dirty. There are often fire alarms (thought not in my building) because people smoke inside - and everything is not smoking. The fire detectors are also a little too effective - you can't dry your hair close to them because that will set them off.

I'm in a "quite" flat and is very happy with that, because people party hard here in caly court.

When you apply you can wish for a mixed sex flat or not.

Whether an ensuite room is the best or not, I don't know, I'm very happy I have one, but I haven't seen other flats with ensuite them my own, so I can't say whether this one is a typical ensuite area. But "my"
    kitchen is larger than those of my friends. All my friends here stay in single rooms with shared bath and toilet and that works fine.

I would upload pictures of my room had they not been too large.

Hope my reply is useful and not too late.

ReputationRep:
    Reading all the mixed opinions on the rating of the Caley accommodations I wonder how come I think the flats are bright airy and spacious? We got shown a room in a building that was the 3rd on the left coming streetside. I thought everything looked tidy and I totally assume it can be like that depending on the PEOPLE who share the floor.

I definitely need my quiet so I think I'll write to Accommodations again and ask for a top floor corner flat, because I think that would be the quietest you can get? I REALLY need a QUIET flat. If I want to party, I'll go visit another flat

Is my idea of top floor corner flat an option to get a bit of quiet? Coz if there's anything I'm worried about staying in student flats is the noise and partying, which I don't mind WHEN I DONT NEED TO STUDY... And I'm not one to leave it till last semester, month or week so...

Any advice which flat to ask for?

And I'm really annoyed at people smoking inside. What is the policy on that? Can they not throw out repeat offenders? All they have to do is police the rooms once a week and even a faint covered up smell of smoke and you're warned, do it twice and you're out? If you have to smoke, do it outside, you're messing it up for a lot of other people who have to live there too.

I just hope I didn't make a mistake by choosing student accommodation now.. Coz I didn't really stop to think of people's gross violation of the rules there. Can you move out easily with a few month's notice? And where would you find the best private accommodation in Glasgow city center with strict rules regarding noise and smoking?

ReputationRep:
    Sent off my accomadation letter. Did I leave it too late? I also really want an en-suit

ReputationRep:
    I applied for mixed shared room and not ensuite.

About three weeks ago, i emailed GCU accommodation office on the need to upload pictures of Caledonian Court rooms interior just like some universities did and i was informed by email that arrangement is being made to do so.

I believe that i will cope any where i am accommodated in caley court.

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know what/how to find the university number that's on the accommodation form?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abbyyyyyy)
    does anyone know what/how to find the university number that's on the accommodation form?
    Accommodation Office contact details:

T: +44 (0)141 331 3980
    F: +44 (0)141 331 3957
    E: [email protected]

(Google Helps...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexAlexAlex)
    Accommodation Office contact details:

T: +44 (0)141 331 3980
    F: +44 (0)141 331 3957
    E: [email protected]

(Google Helps...)
    I think she means hte actual uni number which I think is G42

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexAlexAlex)
    Hey I'm in Caledonain Court at the moment, if my room where tidier I'd upload photos right now. But any questions feel free to PM me.
    Hi, need some ideas to pimp my room, but need a reminder of how the rooms looked. I forgot to take pix last year How about you, did you manage to tidy your room up and can we see pix please coz GCU Accommodations Office still hasn't put up any!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by futurenrg)
    Hi, need some ideas to pimp my room, but need a reminder of how the rooms looked. I forgot to take pix last year How about you, did you manage to tidy your room up and can we see pix please coz GCU Accommodations Office still hasn't put up any!
    I saw one pic in the welcome pack booklet I got

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShadowConspiracy)
    I saw one pic in the welcome pack booklet I got
    Can you scan and upload it please? I didn't get my welcome pack yet and I'm leaving very soon

Just wondering based on which criteria GCU sends out welcome packs. You'd think they'd take into account that international students and those living further away (see list of people applying for accommodation!) would get send stuff first since they need to make travel arrangements and would arrive slightly earlier than those living in the area.

I wonder if other unis are better organised like that.
    Would be helpful if for every course, GCU would appoint a volunteer 2nd year to help with all kinds of questions like 'when do I hear back/get confirmation/get welcome packs' and questions about the course itself.

I'm sure communication could be better. Wondering if other unis are better at keeping potential students informed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by futurenrg)
    Can you scan and upload it please? I didn't get my welcome pack yet and I'm leaving very soon

Just wondering based on which criteria GCU sends out welcome packs. You'd think they'd take into account that international students and those living further away (see list of people applying for accommodation!) would get send stuff first since they need to make travel arrangements and would arrive slightly earlier than those living in the area.

I wonder if other unis are better organised like that.
    Would be helpful if for every course, GCU would appoint a volunteer 2nd year to help with all kinds of questions like 'when do I hear back/get confirmation/get welcome packs' and questions about the course itself.

I'm sure communication could be better. Wondering if other unis are better at keeping potential students informed?

Yeah fo sho, Here we go:

It's nothing much only the best pic in the whole booklet to be honest,Damm I hope those rooms have a wardrobe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShadowConspiracy)
    Yeah fo sho, Here we go:

It's nothing much only the best pic in the whole booklet to be honest,Damm I hope those rooms have a wardrobe.
    Thanks for posting the pix! It doesn't look like what I remember from visiting open day tbh. I think it's funny how they put that pic in the package, since their own rules say you can't stick anything up the walls and I like how they picked that duvet cover to match the carpet, which is kind of the blandest blue imaginable, really? It looks bland and dreary, the interior. To answer your question, there was no wardrobe to speak of So I'm kinda worried about that. I was hoping to store clothing in bags underneath the bed but it looks like there's not going to be any room for them there either OK. So how about we share a CityStorage box together Maybe I could bring my drum kit then, I'll practise there

OK so I'll def need stuff to spice up the room coz I'm not living in a bland hell for a year.

the guy in the pic looks like he's way too tall for the bed too, poor him, bet his feet are either sticking out or he has to lie sideways to be able to fully stretch his legs lol.

I think promotional wise Accommodations Office should get a pic of my room in next year's package, be a lot more inviting than this one! Yeah I'll even model, fo sho!

Ahhh. Can't wait to get started, just hope GCU and Events Management have got their stuff in order to get me a real challenging programme to study. What did you sign up for?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.