Turn on thread page Beta

My parents are seriously annoying *help* watch

Last year I saved up for abou 6 months to buy a PS3 which I really wanted as all my friends never shutup about it!....Anyways, since september my parents have banned me from having it (yes it cant even be in my room) ....because they are adamant that I do well in the January Exams.....When I had I before Id play on it about 1 hour most days after finishing all the homework etc but for some reason they think that its some major distraction to me and my working which it really isnt and it actually makes me more annoyed not having it for that reason and distracts me more than it did before when i had it! .......

Im now 18 and my ******* mum still wont let me have it and even after my exams are over she said I cant have it in my room I must be monitored when I play it.....

This drives me ******* mad, but apparently 'as long as im under her roof, being 18 means nothing'....and I have no independence with them.....

Im getting so pissed off and cant find a way to get them to understand!!!!!!!! what shall I do.....its just so irritating, more so cos they're still treating me like a 3 year old!!! :mad:

This may all sound really sad but its seriously bugging me and I feel as though I have no moral ground here!!!

ReputationRep:
    Go and make them a cup of tea you ungrateful, angst-ridden layabout.

ReputationRep:
    my boyfriend isn't allowed his id or laptop it's not fair, but life can be a *****. go do something else instead

ReputationRep:
    That is crazyily strict, I'd never let my parents become that controlling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Last year I saved up for abou 6 months to buy a PS3 which I really wanted as all my friends never shutup about it!....Anyways, since september my parents have banned me from having it (yes it cant even be in my room) ....because they are adamant that I do well in the January Exams.....When I had I before Id play on it about 1 hour most days after finishing all the homework etc but for some reason they think that its some major distraction to me and my working which it really isnt and it actually makes me more annoyed not having it for that reason and distracts me more than it did before when i had it! .......

Im now 18 and my ******* mum still wont let me have it and even after my exams are over she said I cant have it in my room I must be monitored when I play it.....

This drives me ******* mad, but apparently 'as long as im under her roof, being 18 means nothing'....and I have no independence with them.....

Im getting so pissed off and cant find a way to get them to understand!!!!!!!! what shall I do.....its just so irritating, more so cos they're still treating me like a 3 year old!!! :mad:

This may all sound really sad but its seriously bugging me and I feel as though I have no moral ground here!!!
    Tell your mum that your are not happy with her actions and she should have a cup of tea and a lie down, and when she wakes up she should change her tone else there will be dire consequences.

the consequences will be a visit from Mr.T

ReputationRep:
    I was always taught that your mind can only function at 100% for about an hour. So I would study for an hour then watch an episode of Scrubs or somethin to take my mind off of everything except goofy jokes!

This way I feel satisfied when I go back to study.

Not having the ps3 is probably not the problem. Its what it stands for. Being told what to do by your parents is sh1t. your parents not understanding the work and reward ratio is frustrating. Not having independence is sh1t!

There is two ways you can go now:

Dont study. Cooking pan on head - beat with wooden spoon. This shows that taking away the ps3 achieves nothing but a higher chance of bad grades. Hopefully they will give in.

swallow your pride and do what they say. It will absolutely kill you inside if you are anything like me but at least its the mature option and the right one!

p.s *cough cough* first option *cough cough*

No surrenderrrrrrrr! Braveheart moment ftw!

ReputationRep:
    lol, are you asian/black by any chance?

erm....just live with it...my mum has told me, that unless I get an explicit offer from oxbridge...I can dream on about moving out for uni or even going to one outside of london....

ReputationRep:
    Just keep asking for it and they'll let you have it, tell them all your friends have it, and ask for a reason on why you can't have it, I mean what else does an 18yr old do with his spare time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desi_jatt)
    Just keep asking for it and they'll let you have it, tell them all your friends have it, and ask for a reason on why you can't have it, I mean what else does an 18yr old do with his spare time
    I know an alternative. All it requires is your right hand.

ReputationRep:
    tell them you'd work harder..or wait till your results come in march

ReputationRep:
    Your parents are only want the best for your future - so to increase the probability of you achieving a sucessful life would be to remove all the distractions at this moment in time..

Education is the way forward..

You have time for the distractions later on in life when you have a sustained career..

ReputationRep:
    yeah my parents are ******* also. Lucky i live with my best mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infernalcradle)
    lol, are you asian/black by any chance?

erm....just live with it...my mum has told me, that unless I get an explicit offer from oxbridge...I can dream on about moving out for uni or even going to one outside of london....
    "random first line of a TSR post of the weeeek"

HH cracks me up! oh shucks.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, my mum blames the internet for my shoddy A level results. Still to this day she bangs on about it. I've since graduated...

I don't see why you can't play in the evenings or whatever, as a break from revision. I guess they only want the best.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 20, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.