Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is the "average" Brit open minded / non racist? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am not from the UK but have stayed here for some time and my experience has been a pleasant one so far. All the people I have met at uni / work / clubs etc have been (or seem to have been) very open minded about different cultures, considering everyone equal etc etc. (case in point this post - I mean the person objectively looks at the situation and gives a response not based on any emotional feelings at all).

My questions is, is that what the average (person on 50th percentile) UK person like? Maybe my experience has been slightly biased as you would expect people going to unis to be well read etc?

ReputationRep:
    As a UK citizen, I can tell you now: Do not generalise and put us in one box. You wouldn't like it now, would you?

ReputationRep:
    The UK is probably the most open minded in the world in my experience of travelling and being a minority myself.

ReputationRep:
    I do not think that we're open minded. I just think a large majority of people are spineless, and don't actually have an opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Another One)
    I am not from the UK but have stayed here for some time and my experience has been a pleasant one so far. All the people I have met at uni / work / clubs etc have been (or seem to have been) very open minded about different cultures, considering everyone equal etc etc. (case in point this post - I mean the person objectively looks at the situation and gives a response not based on any emotional feelings at all).

My questions is, is that what the average (person on 50th percentile) UK person like? Maybe my experience has been slightly biased as you would expect people going to unis to be well read etc?
    In general I would never describe the UK as a racist country (like one might say about Italy or perhaps Australia), but it's with mild irony that because of a government focus on promoting understanding and awareness it's had an effect on increasing the numbers who fit extremes - i'm quite sure they exist in other countries and have always existed here but I think the numbers are growing.

Basically some are way too 'open' about other cultures to the point of being mildly patronizing and a little brainwashed, for example someone who meets an asian person and seems really keen about learning about 'their' culture and religion (like the whole need to ask 'where are you from?') - when the only reason to assume the asian person has a radically different culture/religious preference than the general majority is simply because they are asian. Then you got the people who really aren't racist at all, but they've met the former type of person far too often and are becoming a little too susceptible to the idea that that britain is becoming 'overly tolerant' of other cultures at either the expense of 'traditional British culture' (whatever that is) or actual equality (like the people who constantly feel the need to point out that white people can be racially abused/attacked/whatever as well).

In general though, most people don't give a ****, but might make assumptions based on somewhat valid stereotypes or general ignorance (Asians don't drink/have sex with white people because of religions/traditional parents, black people are into RnB , americans are painfully unaware of events outside their country) I watched a quiz show not long ago, and one the questions was basically 'Shiva is a god in which religion?' and the guy answered 'muslim(?)' - I mean that response makes no sense on many levels, but you can hardly attack him for it.

ReputationRep:
    I was born and bred in the UK but have always found it difficult to make friends with white Brits. I've tried to get along and make friends with them but i've had it all thrown back in my face. Brits imo aren't open minded as you think. I think there is a pretence in Brits when it comes to being open minded and accepting people from all walks of life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajtiesto)
    I was born and bred in the UK but have always found it difficult to make friends with white Brits. I've tried to get along and make friends with them but i've had it all thrown back in my face. Brits imo aren't open minded as you think. I think there is a pretence in Brits when it comes to being open minded and accepting people from all walks of life.
    I was born here and find it incredibly easy to make friends with White Brits, easier than black Brits if anything. :dontknow:

I'd say the average person doesn't think about it much and perhaps is slightly ignorant of other cultures. Not in a way that would make them unfriendly, but in a way that you'd just notice that they haven't been around people of differing races/cultures a lot.
    Londoners are completely different in my experience, they're quite clued up.
    Of course, this is all a generalisation. It's best to take each person as they come. If someone tells you the average person, or the majority are racist, I'd like to think you'd still give everyone a fair chance and not stick to your own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YL_LDN)
    The UK is probably the most open minded in the world in my experience of travelling and being a minority myself.
    lol I wouldn't go that far, but depends on what we are defining open-minded as..

ReputationRep:
    I would say around 50 percent of white Brits have rightly got no problem whatsoever with people from other cultures and races living in the UK, around 25 percent fall into the 'slightly racist' category ("coming here taking our jobs", the people who'll call an Indian a "paki" in a non-malicious way, etc) and 25 percent fall into the 'openly racist' category (BNP supporters, the racist chav on the street corner, etc). Thankfully, most foreign students will be on an open minded campus full of educated young people and won't experience too much of the latter 25 percent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desi_jatt)
    lol I wouldn't go that far, but depends on what we are defining open-minded as..

Well i can spot a racist from a mile off mate, it's pretty simple from the body language and eye contact you get from racists.

Open minded as in not being 'oh, he's such and such race, lets treat him/her differently to everyone else'.

Been to a lot of places and i can say that mainland Europe (especially Spain in my experience) is a lot more racist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    I was born here and find it incredibly easy to make friends with White Brits, easier than black Brits if anything. :dontknow:

I'd say the average person doesn't think about it much and perhaps is slightly ignorant of other cultures. Not in a way that would make them unfriendly, but in a way that you'd just notice that they haven't been around people of differing races/cultures a lot.
    Londoners are completely different in my experience, they're quite clued up.
    Of course, this is all a generalisation. It's best to take each person as they come. If someone tells you the average person, or the majority are racist, I'd like to think you'd still give everyone a fair chance and not stick to your own.
    These white friends of yours could just be covering up potentially racist attitudes and are two faced. Surely you have your suspicions about them, no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Another One)

Use a poll.
    From my experience, I don't think you'll experience too much racism/xenophobia... Exotic is 'in'. Just don't be shy and you too should be open to trying new things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YL_LDN)
    Well i can spot a racist from a mile off mate, it's pretty simple from the body language and eye contact you get from racists.

Open minded as in not being 'oh, he's such and such race, lets treat him/her differently to everyone else'.

Been to a lot of places and i can say that mainland Europe (especially Spain in my experience) is a lot more racist.
    Oh yeah for sure, but i'm assuming you're from London right, it's very multi-cultural there, but further up north it's not really as pretty!

I'd agree there's more hostile places you could go, but on the flipside there are more welcoming places!

ReputationRep:
    These white friends of yours could just be covering up potentially racist attitudes and are two faced. Surely you have your suspicions about them, no?
    None whatsoever!

ReputationRep:
    you're one of the most racist people on this site, you latch on to every single oppertunity you get to insult white people, 90% of your posts are anti white or anti britain, you even admitted to being racist in a thread.

you have no right to accuse anyone of being racist you disgusting bigot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desi_jatt)
    Oh yeah for sure, but i'm assuming you're from London right, it's very multi-cultural there, but further up north it's not really as pretty!

I'd agree there's more hostile places you could go, but on the flipside there are more welcoming places!
    Such as?

ReputationRep:
    Depends which city and what part of the city tbh.

In general, I think UKers are less racist than other nationalities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john87)
    you're one of the most racist people on this site, you latch on to every single oppertunity you get to insult white people, every single one of your posts is anti white or anti britain, in fact you even admitted to being racist in a thread.
    How have i insulted white people? My gf is white American ffs, get a grip with yourself and stop throwing serious accusations. :mad: :mad: :mad:

For the record, i am not a racist and have nothing against white people or Britain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    Such as?
    Parts of America (IMO)

ReputationRep:
    I like how rational we are.

I've only seen real racism from old people, although most old people are perfectly reasonable.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 21, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.