Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is the "average" Brit open minded / non racist? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajtiesto)
    These white friends of yours could just be covering up potentially racist attitudes and are two faced. Surely you have your suspicions about them, no?
    you are just paranoid. To the extent that you are actually being racist towards white people- assuming that there is a good chance that any white person who appears to be non-racist is just pretending and really hold racist views

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nashy19)
    I like how rational we are.

I've only seen real racism from old people, although most old people are perfectly reasonable.
    Not just racist...

I must admit, most racism from old people is so in your face or out there, and seems to be as expressed as genuine fear/ignorance than maliciousness or **** stirring - it's proper retro.

Though my mates nan really just hates the Jews for some reason.

ReputationRep:
    How have i insulted white people? My gf is white American ffs, get a grip with yourself and stop throwing serious accusations. :mad: :mad: :mad:

For the record, i am not a racist and have nothing against white people or Britain.
    Except when a user said they had many non-racist white friends you immediately said that they must be pretending/2 faced and just hiding racist views!
    Make your mind up! Either you have nothing agaisnt white people of any natonality or you think whit people (or at least british whites) are two faced racists pretending not to be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fox_the_fix)
    I do not think that we're open minded. I just think a large majority of people are spineless, and don't actually have an opinion.
    Ha, couldn't have put that better myself.

ReputationRep:
    I need one person here to claim to be the average brit.

ReputationRep:
    Well, as they said on Mock the Week:

"The English have got to be the most tolerant people on Earth to live with so many people they hate - the Scottish hate the English, the Welsh hate the English, the Irish hate the English, and the English hate practically everyone else... including most of the English!"

In my opinion, the English have no right to be racist and say who belongs in the country and who doesn't. There were originally Celts in Britain (most of the Welsh, Scottish, Irish, Cornish etc.), and the Anglo-Saxons came over from Western Europe (around where Germany is), so telling people that they're not originally from Britain, and that they should go back is a little hypocritical.

ReputationRep:
    To some extent they believe themselves to be above everyone else: Australia was built by our murderers, America was built by our outcasts, we had a massive empire, and we won the wars.

ReputationRep:
    These white friends of yours could just be covering up potentially racist attitudes and are two faced. Surely you have your suspicions about them, no?
    You sound racist...

Why do you assume they are covering up potentially racist attitudes? Just because they are white? That is the only factor you know about them, so it has to be it.

You racist!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paella)
    and we won the wars.

ReputationRep:
    In my experiences I would say younger generations are a lot more open minded when it comes to things like race. I am 19 and its rare to find people my age who would openly make any form of racist comment. however people of older generations i have found to be a lot more openly racist.
    By this i mean general comments, i cant comment on heavy racism as i've never really encountered it and hope not to.

ReputationRep:
    In my experiences, people from South West seem to be the most open-minded when it comes to race. I'm Asian myself but I have never experienced racist whatsoever for few years living here. Actually most of my friends (by "friends", I mean real friends) at 6th form are white British, some black people and only 2 Asian guys.

ReputationRep:
    I tend to find that racism lives in the older generation and those who are poorly bought up.

It's no where near as bad as Australia though.

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends which part of the UK you are in. Plus I think people who I would say are pretty racist towards entire minority communities don't necessarily treat ethnic minority individuals they interact with in the same way.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to know just how treating all races "the same" is synonymous with being "open minded".

ReputationRep:
    I would say it's mainly open minded but in my area it's a more of "they are taking our jobs fecking paki (even though they are indian, polish, chinese, japanese, middle eastern etc) " Even though people won't even apply to those jobs anyway, but this is Wales and there's hardly any people of colour here unless you count the number of women with orange fake tans.

ReputationRep:
    i think people are more against the self-segragation some communities have, naming no names.

ReputationRep:
    tbh obviously people are going to act all accepting when talking to an immigrant. tbh this isnt a unanimous viewpoint as you seem to think.
    i, for instance, while being perfectly happy with other cultures, think they should stay in their own damn country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrisbontnewydd)
    In my opinion, the English have no right to be racist and say who belongs in the country and who doesn't. There were originally Celts in Britain (most of the Welsh, Scottish, Irish, Cornish etc.), and the Anglo-Saxons came over from Western Europe (around where Germany is), so telling people that they're not originally from Britain, and that they should go back is a little hypocritical.
    no right?
    this is our country, we make the rights. if we wish to have a collective feeling as a nation, we shall.
    the anglo saxons come from angles and saxons. and obviously the current race has developed over time from various others - but it has developed gradually into what it is now. this doesnt mean a completely unrelated people from the other side of the planet is as english as we are. your argument makes no sense at all.

ReputationRep:
    It all depends on who you're classing as the "average brit". unfortunately the average brit probably doesnt attend a university or have a particularly open mind. He/She is more likely to be stuck in a dead end 9-5 job with a massive mortgage, £10,000 in debt, perhaps with a family and have more important things to worry about. It depends a lot on whereabouts in the country you live, a lot of people are racist up north (yes i can make that call since i live in the northwest, and a lot doesnt mean everybody) but even then its for different reasons. Theres plenty of chavs and violent little youths that are racist for the sake of kicking off and having a fight, whereas if adults are racist it does tend to be more behind-closed-doors and not out in the open, which if you're going to be racist is maybe the best policy, you're entitled to your opinion without forcing it in someones face or causing major offense. Britain in general is quite open minded compared to other countries, which shall remain nameless :rolleyes:

I personally prefer the approach of just judging people based on what they're like, i'm quite happy to admit that i have friends who are asian, black and lithuanian, but at the same time i don't like some asian people i know just as i dont like some white people. Its not racism, just making your mind up on everyone separately, you cant lump people together into a group based solely on skin colour

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJ AgnieszkaA)
    no right?
    this is our country, we make the rights. if we wish to have a collective feeling as a nation, we shall.
    the anglo saxons come from angles and saxons. and obviously the current race has developed over time from various others - but it has developed gradually into what it is now. this doesnt mean a completely unrelated people from the other side of the planet is as english as we are. your argument makes no sense at all.
    My point is that no single person has a right to a certain piece of land - you ended up in Britain by chance. Just so you know, I have nothing personal against the English. I'm happy enough with Britain as it is. And to be completely honest, many of the good things about this country have come from the English. Most of the money comes from England too, so the Welsh economy would spiral downward if we were to claim independence.

Also, I can understand the "racist" point of view (but I don't agree with it). Some muslims come into Britain, and start demanding mosques to be built, and for people to allow them to wear their religious clothing etc. If we went to their country, they would probably be racist, and demanding to build a church would probably get you hanged or put in prison. So, in short, I'm fine with these other cultures, and they do bring diversity to our country, but if they do come in, they should respect our traditions and cultures, as we would do if we went to their country.

My opinion here is not meant to be racist, insulting or derogatory. It's just for the sake of argument. However, if I have offended someone, I apologise.

Edit: Also, when you don't like someone for some reason, I hate it when they claim you're racist for not liking that particular person: "Is it 'cause I'm [insert ethnicity here]"

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 21, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.