Turn on thread page Beta

Is the "average" Brit open minded / non racist? watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about the rest of the country (though I would expect other big cities to be the same) but nobody really bats an eyelid about your race and in some areas of London you actually stick out more if you're white.

ReputationRep:
    The UK lead the way to ending the slave trade, we used ro run the largest world spanning empire in history, and to round it up there was recently a massive protest outside the BBC durring an interview of a native fascist politician.

I would dare say that most Britons are in fact quite reasonable/open minded.

Thats not to say we don't have our bigots and what-not but really if you just accept that the population of Britain is as diverse philosophically as any other country then it'll save you worrying.

Oh yeah for sure, but i'm assuming you're from London right, it's very multi-cultural there, but further up north it's not really as pretty!
    Southern fairy skewed opinion much?

Go to my home city up north and tell me it is a pit of racism and ethnic tensions. No offence but it hasn't been my city that has seen race riots, in any period of history, or extremist Islamic marches, BNP marches, or any other gathering of bigots.

Also I've been as far as Tokyo, so this notion that Northerners are simple, not well travelled and unwise about the world is also pretty insulting.

Yup I think there are more inter-UK problems than UK hating other nationalities/races. :P

ReputationRep:
    How bad is it in Australia?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Another One)
    How bad is it in Australia?
    I think it was not long ago, Indian students studying in Australia were being racially attacked at the University campus.

http://www.time.com/time/world/artic...903038,00.html

Wtf is there problem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajtiesto)
    I think it was not long ago, Indian students studying in Australia were being racially attacked at the University campus.

http://www.time.com/time/world/artic...903038,00.html

Wtf is there problem?
    i am not sure if this was a solitary incident or do events like these happen in general. Internet doesn't show me too many news stories so it may have been one idiot!

But in general, from people's experience here, is Australia worse in general?

ReputationRep:
    All I know is that in London, it's still present but more or less fizzled out. Once you start eading north, my goodness the concentration becomes much more prominent.

ReputationRep:
    Whi is everyone saying that its awful up north, I live up north and have rarely experienced proper racism, especially not from people my own age.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bluelight)
    Whi is everyone saying that its awful up north, I live up north and have rarely experienced proper racism, especially not from people my own age.
    because southerners think anything above watford gap is all steel mills and coal mines

ReputationRep:
    The UK is highly racist, this is a no brainer.

I think the only reason it's seen as wrong is because the media say so.

ReputationRep:
    Most of the population is still not university-educated, and whilst intolerance has been decreasing, my personal estimation of racism in this country is that there is a nasty undercurrent of both non-malevolent, inherent racism picked up through societal attitudes, and genuine, active racism.

I would say that as the numbers of people attending university increase, though, that is slowly changing. A lot of apparent racism is generational - people who grew up experiencing the change that was brought about with increased migration into the UK rather than those who grew up after that change had started occurring, and for whom it was the norm.

In short - I would say it's hard to generalise 60 million people with one very specific label, but whilst racist attitudes are still extant, they are declining in popularity and will be significantly decreased in, say, 20-40 years time.

ReputationRep:
    Define "open-minded". Often people who are completely open-minded are spineless pushovers. So I'll just take "open-minded" as informed.
    No, I don't think most are. There are so many pseudo-intellectual middle Britons, I don't know. I reckon they are half-informed. A minority, about 25% maybe, are truly intellectual... but this is better than most countries.
    Unfortunately, most Britons are anti-intellectual one way or another.

Racism, on the other hand... most people are against it, despite not thinking that much about it. Yet opposed to it they are, subconscious anti-racism is better than nothing. The figures are considerably more healthy in terms of non-racism, but again it's a facade, many people don't really think about it, they're culturally conditioned into such. It could be said that people could swing to racism if they were conditioned the opposite way.

Of course, this is pretty cynical, I generally believe that many people are forged in their own lives so much that they don't really think deeply or seriously, intellectualism is just a fashion accessory for some.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 21, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.