Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Odd question perhaps, just something I've been wondering for a while.

Can you smoke in your room/corridor/smoking area? Or is it a case of going on the street?

And by "can," I don't mean if you're allowed, I mean if you can do it without getting caught . I'm assuming it probably varies from hall-to-hall as well, if anyone has any knowledge of such things.

ReputationRep:
    Plastic bag/ condom on smoke detector. Some people claimed they got rooms with heat rather than smoke detectors, but its best to be safe ( no pun intended haha).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by astudent)
    Plastic bag/ condom on smoke detector. Some people claimed they got rooms with heat rather than smoke detectors, but its best to be safe ( no pun intended haha).
    Haha, I see.

Well, that's comforting . Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    It's very easy, I know from personal experience. Like astudent said, a sock or condom over the fire alarm will do the trick. I just smoke by the window when it's too cold outside and I'm not bothered going down and it's been fine so far even without the protection (pun intended).

ReputationRep:
    Awesome, cheers for the info.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by astudent)
    Even if it is heat the fag wont give off anywhere near enough heat to set it off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rob6709)
    Even if it is heat the fag wont give off anywhere near enough heat to set it off.
    I believe that was his point. I also heard in some halls the alarms have sensors on them that get set off if you cut off the air supply or touch it but that's not the case with Bankside

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oldboy5745)
    I believe that was his point. I also heard in some halls the alarms have sensors on them that get set off if you cut off the air supply or touch it but that's not the case with Bankside
    We have more than enough fire alarm problems as it is :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swayum)
    We have more than enough fire alarm problems as it is :p:
    Haha true true, although so far this term has been quite silent *fingers crossed* Did you hear of the alarm testing on the 27th? Short bursts of fire alarm will be irritating...

Allowed, no. Possible, yes. I'd smoke out the window though - you'll probably be charged if your room stinks of smoke at the end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oldboy5745)
    Haha true true, although so far this term has been quite silent *fingers crossed* Did you hear of the alarm testing on the 27th? Short bursts of fire alarm will be irritating...
    Yeah and they're doing the bed bugs check on my floor as well...

Short bursts won't be too bad as long as they're not in the morning. That would seriously piss me off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swayum)
    Yeah and they're doing the bed bugs check on my floor as well...

Short bursts won't be too bad as long as they're not in the morning. That would seriously piss me off.
    Ah, 5th floor then :holmes:
    I miraculously missed the previous 2 fire alarms aswell so I not too bothered either. Like that one when the boiler machinery caught fire rofl XD

ReputationRep:
    Don't want to be a kill joy guy's but WHEN caught smoking in rooms\halls you may be find, if you cover the detector the maximum fine can be £1000...that's from the Fire Service not Accom Office.

Give up smoking...save money!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uni Police)
    Don't want to be a kill joy guy's but WHEN caught smoking in rooms\halls you may be find, if you cover the detector the maximum fine can be £1000...that's from the Fire Service not Accom Office.

Give up smoking...save money!!!
    How would you get caught, though? They can't just bust into your room, can they?

And I'm not actually a smoker. I just occasionally smoke.

ReputationRep:
    I had also thought about this. Since I'm more of a social smoker anyway, standing around outside with people isn't that much of an issue really...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hunty91)
    How would you get caught, though? They can't just bust into your room, can they?

And I'm not actually a smoker. I just occasionally smoke.
    If the alarm went off, they would be able to tell where it went off. They'll then obviously go to that room and, if you refuse to open it/pretend you're not there, they can get in. Once in, it's presumably obvious.

If the alarm didn't go off, then it's harder for them to catch you, but there are notices up on my floor saying that they know someone's been smoking and they'll be caught soon if they continue (at least at Bankside, I think there are sub wardens on each floor - not the case at Northumberland by the way (as far as I know)).

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering this too! I'm a smoker and I'm wondering what I'll do when I go to uni... although when my ex boyfriend was at uni I would smoke away and nothing would happen. But if I left the door open after a shower, the whole block would have to be evacuated.

ReputationRep:
    Do you own a toaster? Toat some bread until its pretty heavily toasted, but not starting to smoke or anything. Then get a febreeze candle and light it. Then take a cigarette, light it, and hold it under the detector for a little minute. If it doesnt go off, your probably safe. If it does go off, keep toasting that toast until its mad burnt, and blame it on the toast if anyone comes. the candle should cover the cigarette smell pretty quickly if you put it out after a short time (it gets rid of the smell off of a full cigarette completely after like half an hour) and that scenario is believable i guess. Just depends on what the protocol is for smoke alarms, and wether you really want to smoke inside that much.

EDIT: god bless private accommodation. :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Prussian Blues)
    Do you own a toaster? Toat some bread until its pretty heavily toasted, but not starting to smoke or anything. Then get a febreeze candle and light it. Then take a cigarette, light it, and hold it under the detector for a little minute. If it doesnt go off, your probably safe. If it does go off, keep toasting that toast until its mad burnt, and blame it on the toast if anyone comes.
    .....or just be a good 'un and go outside?

ReputationRep:
    Can't you just go outside? Thats what I did... saves a lot of trouble

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 28, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.