Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Prussian Blues)
    Do you own a toaster? Toat some bread until its pretty heavily toasted, but not starting to smoke or anything. Then get a febreeze candle and light it. Then take a cigarette, light it, and hold it under the detector for a little minute. If it doesnt go off, your probably safe. If it does go off, keep toasting that toast until its mad burnt, and blame it on the toast if anyone comes.
    Haha, way too elaborate for me Plus if the alarm does go off, you get fined something like 25quid i think.
    (Original post by Swayum)
    there are notices up on my floor saying that they know someone's been smoking and they'll be caught soon if they continue
    Damn, they're onto me :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jpye11)
    Can't you just go outside? Thats what I did... saves a lot of trouble
    I used to, but it got silly during revision since i was outside more than in coz i was so stressed out lol.

Going outside for one has its benefits (except when its raining ) if its clear, its really refreshing imo.

ReputationRep:
    You'll want to Febreze your room like crazy in case the person above/below/next to your room wants to grass you up.:innocent:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hunty91)
    How would you get caught, though? They can't just bust into your room, can they?

And I'm not actually a smoker. I just occasionally smoke.
    Yes they (WE) can enter your room at anytime day or night..if we think that you are smoking or making to much noise!!

We don't have to recieve a complaint first either!!

My personall policy is if your making noise and no complaint has been received then i'll KNOCK and ask you to turn it down or close windows...no fine.

As for the smoke detectors most have a small red LED (light) if your smoking/cooking and the alarm is activated this light will indicate what room/corridor that the activation occured, the fire panel will also give an EXACT location!!!!!

Not worth the fine if you ask me!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oldboy5745)
    It's very easy, I know from personal experience. Like astudent said, a sock or condom over the fire alarm will do the trick. I just smoke by the window when it's too cold outside and I'm not bothered going down and it's been fine so far even without the protection (pun intended).
    Hehe I figured out who you are

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Prussian Blues)
    Do you own a toaster? Toat some bread until its pretty heavily toasted, but not starting to smoke or anything. Then get a febreeze candle and light it. Then take a cigarette, light it, and hold it under the detector for a little minute. If it doesnt go off, your probably safe. If it does go off, keep toasting that toast until its mad burnt, and blame it on the toast if anyone comes. the candle should cover the cigarette smell pretty quickly if you put it out after a short time (it gets rid of the smell off of a full cigarette completely after like half an hour) and that scenario is believable i guess. Just depends on what the protocol is for smoke alarms, and wether you really want to smoke inside that much.

EDIT: god bless private accommodation. :P
    Toasters aren't allowed in Bankside either so either way you're in trouble :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frontier)
    Oh noes I have been exposed! XD
    Might not be who you think it is, I'm not the only smoker in Bankside after all :P
    I'm afraid I don't possess the detective skills to uncover your true identity however :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frontier)
    Text me :p:

ReputationRep:
    Sock over the detector, window open, no problem. I'm pretty sure the detectors in Rosebery were heat detectors and not smoke anyway or some jazz like that? Whatever, I smoked quite a lot in my room for about 6 months and never had a problem nor did I ever hear of anyone setting off an alarm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oldboy5745)
    Oh noes I have been exposed! XD
    Might not be who you think it is, I'm not the only smoker in Bankside after all :P
    I'm afraid I don't possess the detective skills to uncover your true identity however :holmes:
    A secret source confirmed who you are

ReputationRep:
    When I was looking up other day forms for accomodation there are questions like 'Do you smoke?' I believe it has to do something with social side rather than being able to smoke in your own room... even if I will be allowed I won't do it. Even for me as a chain smoker it's not nice to sit in a cloud of cigarette smoke... I hope there will be at least some kind of basic shelter outside :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagneticMeteor)
    When I was looking up other day forms for accomodation there are questions like 'Do you smoke?' I believe it has to do something with social side rather than being able to smoke in your own room... even if I will be allowed I won't do it. Even for me as a chain smoker it's not nice to sit in a cloud of cigarette smoke... I hope there will be at least some kind of basic shelter outside :yep:
    Woah woah woah you go to Barns college?! ahaahah I know so many people there... I only live 20 minutes away! So you're going to LSE? Which course?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 28, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.