Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Break ups- what's better to make it quick or too do it slowly? watch

Announcements

Hey,

I recently broke up with my boyfriend, I wasn't happy with the relationship from the beginning and we both wanted different things from it.
    While trying to break up we kept getting into this really weird argument about the best way to break up.
    I think that if you know pretty much know that you want to break up you should just do it and not drag it out.
    He said this was harsh and although he agreed that we should break up he wanted us to take it slowly over the next couple of weeks and not abruptly end it.

I was wondering what other people thought?

I've always thought it's kinder to just cut a relationship dead if it really isn't working and not drag it out. A lot of my girl friends agree with me however a lot of the guys I know have said that this is a really harsh thing to do in any situation.

Is this a girl vs. guys thing in how we approach break ups?

What's better to rip the plaster off or too tease it off slowly?

Just wondering.

ReputationRep:
    its all about opinion ... everybody is gonna feel the hurt different and at different levels ..... i think the fact your talking about it should mean its unlikely the poor guys gonna be devasted

My own opinion in general though i .... BE DONE WITH IT , make it immediate , sharp and with no head turning ......... theres a LOT to be said for being cruel to be kind.

ReputationRep:
    I think i should be done reasonably fast. However, that shouldn't mean that nobody has time to talk it out and make sure they get all their answers. Someone i broke up with, i see in retrospect, probably didn't get answers for the questions he was thinking and i think it ended up pretty badly between us whereas it could have been a lot more cival. So, what i've found best is one 'breaking up session' where the breaking up is done and then a revisit afterwards to see if there's anything they want to talk out or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    If he didn't want to break up he might have just wanted to buy more time.
    I think it's kind of weird to argue over how to break up lol

Imo don't hang around. As soon as you decided you are going to dump him you should get to it asap no ******* about.

ReputationRep:
    Slow is cruel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    Slow is cruel
    This.

ReputationRep:
    Get it over with, quickly.

Surely dragging it out over a couple of weeks would just cause a lot more pain each time you saw each other during the break-up period?

ReputationRep:
    Depends how long you've been together. A few weeks - quick. A few years - a bit slower.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 20, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.