Turn on thread page Beta

abrsm online entry deadline is this saturday. But... watch

ReputationRep:
    ...I'm not sure whether to enter myself for grade 3 clarinet or not.

I'm grade 8 saxophone and took up clarinet recently. I got a distinction at grade one via self teaching.

Now I know that to be ready for the exam I've got until March/early April time so i think that's enough time to be ready and I should be able to answer my own question based on my own experience really.

But nevertheless I'm not sure what to do as I've no time to have someone else hear me play before the deadline. Like I need lessons to locate some of the notes still on the instrument.

So, to enter fro grade 3 clarinet in March even though I can only just about get through 2 of the pieces and a *few* scales. Yay or Nay? what are your thoughts?

Laura

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurakate1988)
    ...I'm not sure whether to enter myself for grade 3 clarinet or not.

I'm grade 8 saxophone and took up clarinet recently. I got a distinction at grade one via self teaching.

Now I know that to be ready for the exam I've got until March/early April time so i think that's enough time to be ready and I should be able to answer my own question based on my own experience really.

But nevertheless I'm not sure what to do as I've no time to have someone else hear me play before the deadline. Like I need lessons to locate some of the notes still on the instrument.

So, to enter fro grade 3 clarinet in March even though I can only just about get through 2 of the pieces and a *few* scales. Yay or Nay? what are your thoughts?

Laura
    Playing saxophone is similar to playing clarinet isn't it?

You obviously have the wind technique if you're grade 8 sax, so it's just a matter of learning a couple more positions on the clarinet and getting the pieces sorted. Up to you, but it doesn't sound like it'll be too difficult if you put your mind to it

ReputationRep:
    thanks

I took the challenge on and did my entry today at the last minute.

I have about 5 weeks.

I was like "this is bonkers?! why?!" but I figured I might just get too lazy about progressing otherwise.

I hope I'm not kicking myself for this as the exam date approaches.

Now then, to find a teacher... lol

ReputationRep:
    You should be fine if you've got grade 8 sax (musicality wise, playing sax before clarinet doesn't do you much advantage really). Good luck and get playing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hothedgehog)
    You should be fine if you've got grade 8 sax (musicality wise, playing sax before clarinet doesn't do you much advantage really). Good luck and get playing!
    ooh I'm intrigued....musicality wise, do you mean the ways in which (for eg) the mouth has to be used on the clarinet is different than on the sax, thus creating a demand to learn a new technique entirely?

Or are you refering to the genre of music that is most likely to be played on the clarinet than sax?

I booked my first clarinet lesson today. The teacher told me that classical is deffo more her thing more than jazz (I play jazz and do jazz exams) but I said that's perfect for me because I want to learn where the notes are and how to produce them and then with that, the improv will flow from what I know about saxophoning am feeling rather excited about it all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurakate1988)
    ooh I'm intrigued....musicality wise, do you mean the ways in which (for eg) the mouth has to be used on the clarinet is different than on the sax, thus creating a demand to learn a new technique entirely?

Or are you refering to the genre of music that is most likely to be played on the clarinet than sax?

I booked my first clarinet lesson today. The teacher told me that classical is deffo more her thing more than jazz (I play jazz and do jazz exams) but I said that's perfect for me because I want to learn where the notes are and how to produce them and then with that, the improv will flow from what I know about saxophoning am feeling rather excited about it all
    Sorry about the drunk reply, however, if i don't do it now i'll forget it.

Clarinet to sax -> sax is easier because it has a looser mouth around the mouthpiece arrangement which for some reason is far easier to get than going from a lose to tight mouthpiece (sax to clt). Saxophone fingerings are also easier because the second octave is easy because it is the same as the first octave with a register key. Clarinets are in 12ths which mean they have different fingerings in the first and second octaves which makes learning harder. Generally it's the mouthpiece thing though, going from a looser to a tigher mouth arrangement is harder because you end up overbiting on your sax. Pm for more details because i'm quite drunk right now and have no idea why i've come on tsr and have probably not explained myself properly!.... saying that my instrument advice is pretty sound (because i love my clarinet/sax and should probably be doing a music degree!). Pm for more info/questions if you like!

Edit: Oh wait, I mean that if you go from saxophone to clarinet you will probably find it harder technicality-wise than going from clarinet to saxophone (obviously you can't judge!). What i meant about musicality is that you'll find doing your second instrument easier because you can read music and do what's indicated by the music. It will probably take you a while to get used to the technicalities of fingering and such but will be quicker. For example, for clarinet, my first instrument i did grades 1,3,5,7,8 for my second instrument sax i did grades 5,8 and for my 3rd instrument singing i just jumped in at grade 8. Once you get your musicality it is merely an issue of learning physicallky how to play your instrument. Learn all the notes on your instrument and you'll basically be done for grade 8. Anyhoo, good luck - like i said in this rambly post - if you want any help/answers just pm me and i'll happily answer in a more sober state (exams finished today, you can forgive me!)

ReputationRep:
    thanks people. muchly appreciated

I feel a bit cheeky having chose to play pieces that don't stretch me too much with the note range (so I was going to play "autumn leaves" but have now changed to playing "alfies theme" for one of the pieces with that being lower)

arguably, I probably will limit my progress by taking that approach on a long term basis but I'm just playing pieces I find easier for now and then I'm hoping to take lessons every week to prepare me for grade 5 where I will definately try to play pieces that I find harder as part of preparing for grade 8.

Gah! I sound like such an exams bunny and I love playing the clarinet soooo much but there's also that side of me that wants to challenge myself because it's a doubling instrument but I don't want to see it as a doubling instrument in a way that says "i'm not that good at it" lol

so yeah, a challenge but an exciting one note wise I've just worked out that I need to learn about 5-6 more notes at the most and how to access a few intervals more easily so yeah, a long shot but a doable one

thanks again for your help and advice

ReputationRep:
    Go for it... extra notes are fun!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.