Turn on thread page Beta

Some forms of mental illness are preventable watch

ReputationRep:
    Some forms of mental illness are caused by over thinking certain situations; which can often be caused by boredom.

These people should be given work, even if menial, so that they have no time to over think situations, as an alternative to anti-psychotic medication or CBT.

Discuss.

Also, this is not a troll, promise. Just a reaction to the amount of threads about peoples problems I see on TSR, which I think could be avoidable.

i hate pop psychologists.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure that even some people with jobs and things to do get depression and other mental illnesses.

ReputationRep:
    What's the source of this information?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desi_jatt)
    What's the source of this information?
    Just my own observations. Also history... either there is over-diagnosis now, or mental illness is becoming more commonplace as people don't merely need to work to survive.

ReputationRep:
    I think you're right about boredom contributing to mental illness. I was pretty depressed about a year ago and I think that was a factor. Not the only reason, but one of them.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by /dev/null)
    Just my own observations. Also history... either there is over-diagnosis now, or mental illness is becoming more commonplace as people don't merely need to work to survive.
    Or doctors are getting better at recognising (and treating?) it.

Not saying that's certainly the case, just pointing out that there's an option you missed.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the title, but not with the post.

ReputationRep:
    Boredom and time to think is the root of all evil.

Work, don't think you stupid humans! Arrrr!

ReputationRep:
    They can also be avoided by not having a brain, i imagine you're avoiding them well!

ReputationRep:
    I think it's very possible, hence the phrase "keeping busy". Although I have the greatest respect for mental illness (I suffer from bouts myself), I do think it is something of a disease of Western privilege. Those in developing societies tend not to have the luxury of developing mental illness when they are concentrating on basic survival. I certainly don't think it's a blanket-applicable concept and as my personal opinion it's by no means supported by empirical evidence, but my anecdotal two cents would be that a lot of the people I know who would class themselves as "depressed" or as "having anxiety problems" could do with a bit more to occupy their time and a bit of a shake up of their idea of stress, to put it politely. But then I do know a few with very busy lives and lots of responsibilities who cope with mental illness on top of everything else.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.