Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there first of all I would like to state a few things about myself; I am by no means a racist, sympathiser or in favour of eugenics. Much to the contrary. However the following issue has been playing on my mind due to current affairs.

I can't help but notice the Haitan people's response to the horrific earthquake that struck just 7 days ago. I realise that it was a freak event and that the countries government (all be it a very weak one) has collapsed. I also take into account the lack of organisation on a global scale (also taking into account the destruction of UN). But the national response has been absurd - desperate looting and tribal shootings to name but a few. I realise this is a biproduct of anarchy but I don't remember it being so bad when the tsunami struck. However I do remember a simmilar situation arose after hurricaine Katrina where a massive black community was affected .I hope you can see what I am getting at.

All this got me thinking and my attention turned to Africa which after colonial rule in which we (Europeans) brutally desimated an entire continent. The place continued to fall apart. I understand the reasons for this but places like South Africa springs to mind where apartheid has recently ceased and the country is on the verge of electing a potential nut job. Another example being Liberia, a state that tore itself apart 100 years ago when the US sent back black slaves to colonize the country. Yes I do understand the crippling debt the continent is under and that it is being exploited again by emerging powers in the East. However to think that Kenya is it's shining example of successful black power is worrying.

I realise that I am about to be hounded and branded a racist but has anyone got an honest opinion on this they would like to put forward?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    This will not end well.

Wait, what's wrong with Kenya?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt say its cus their black, more unfortunate circumstances. The main one is living in Africa, low water, low food but a lot of natural resources for us to exploit, gold, diamonds oil.. I wouldnt say that whites or any other race does much better at coping with these things.

In the end though everything comes down to money. Haiti, New Orleans aren't rich places and neither were India when tsunami hit or that place in china where the earthquake hit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    Wait, what's wrong with Kenya?
    Didn't they have crazy riots burning down churches and beating people to death a few years back?

ReputationRep:
    We thrust our own system of government on them, they don't do as well as us because they lack the resources and the political maturity. They are then further crippled by pandemics such as AIDS, as well as droughts and other natural disasters. To make all of this worse there are constant political backlashes as the nation states, that we, the colonisers, set up without paying close enough attention to traditional 'boundaries', start to tear themselves apart. Throw in the thriving corruption and arms trade fueled by western corporations and you get what we have today.

New Orleans was a whole different ball game, and of course Haiti isn't in Africa but much of the same applies (formed by a slave rebellion - isn't a hugely stable ground to launch a nation state).

There are plenty of cases of mucked up countries which are not African anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cesare Borgia)
    Didn't they have crazy riots burning down churches and beating people to death a few years back?
    Nowhere's perfect.

(Original post by Cesare Borgia)
    Oh yeah. :o:

But there are riots in lots of countries.

ReputationRep:
    Blacks are a passionate lot. They wear their hearts on their sleeves. Catching my drift?

ReputationRep:
    Id have to start off by asking where exactly it is you get your infomation from because the South African election is long finished. A leader who cares about the needs of the native black population has been elected ,so refering to him as a 'nut job' is slightly strange . However thats not to say his the ideal leader considering he has charges of rape hanging over his head :lolwut:
    Saying that, South Africa is with ease the best example of a democratic and emerging African power - alot more so than Kenya! :mad:

* And its the most economically stable.

ReputationRep:
    Lol! We're in a simple recession and there is already growing racial tension and more racial aggravated crimes here due to the lack of jobs. Can you imagine if an earthquake hit and there were immigrants queuing to get what little food was (eventually) being sent over (from the US or whatever)? I'm pretty damn sure there'd be violence here too.

And if my home was gone and there were bodies everywhere and I and my family were hungry, I'd walk into a smashed up supermarket and pick the food I wanted too. I wouldn't wait around for aid if it was slow in coming and my child was dying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HALF PINT)
    Id have to start off by asking where exactly it is you get your infomation from because the South African election is long finished. A leader who cares about the needs of the native black population has been elected ,so refering to him as a 'nut job' is slightly strange . However thats not to say his the ideal leader considering he has charges of rape hanging over his head :lolwut:
    Saying that, South Africa is with ease the best example of a democratic and emerging African power - alot more so than Kenya! :mad:

* And its the most economically stable.
    Whilst I strongly dislike the anti Zuma brigade, he did just beat a rape case and he has more than his fair share of public faux pas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwilson03)
    We thrust our own system of government on them, they don't do as well as us because they lack the resources and the political maturity. They are then further crippled by pandemics such as AIDS, as well as droughts and other natural disasters. To make all of this worse there are constant political backlashes as the nation states, that we, the colonisers, set up without paying close enough attention to traditional 'boundaries', start to tear themselves apart. Throw in the thriving corruption and arms trade fueled by western corporations and you get what we have today.

New Orleans was a whole different ball game, and of course Haiti isn't in Africa but much of the same applies (formed by a slave rebellion - isn't a hugely stable ground to launch a nation state).

There are plenty of cases of mucked up countries which are not African anyway.
    Thanks, that's a reasonable answer and none of it can be denied. However I assume that the thoughts I'm having are for a lot of people the reason for racism and ironically because of racism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by colourfield)
    Hi there first of all I would like to state a few things about myself; I am by no means a racist, sympathiser or in favour of eugenics. Much to the contrary. However the following issue has been playing on my mind due to current affairs.

I can't help but notice the Haitan people's response to the horrific earthquake that struck just 7 days ago. I realise that it was a freak event and that the countries government (all be it a very weak one) has collapsed. I also take into account the lack of organisation on a global scale (also taking into account the destruction of UN). But the national response has been absurd - desperate looting and tribal shootings to name but a few. I realise this is a biproduct of anarchy but I don't remember it being so bad when the tsunami struck. However I do remember a simmilar situation arose after hurricaine Katrina where a massive black community was affected .I hope you can see what I am getting at.

All this got me thinking and my attention turned to Africa which after colonial rule in which we (Europeans) brutally desimated an entire continent. The place continued to fall apart. I understand the reasons for this but places like South Africa springs to mind where apartheid has recently ceased and the country is on the verge of electing a potential nut job. Another example being Liberia, a state that tore itself apart 100 years ago when the US sent back black slaves to colonize the country. Yes I do understand the crippling debt the continent is under and that it is being exploited again by emerging powers in the East. However to think that Kenya is it's shining example of successful black power is worrying.

I realise that I am about to be hounded and branded a racist but has anyone got an honest opinion on this they would like to put forward?

Thanks
    You're right - I'm predicting that the USA will descend into chaos now it has elected a black President. It's doomed. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, that's a reasonable answer and none of it can be denied. However I assume that the thoughts I'm having are for a lot of people the reason for racism and ironically because of racism.
    Well remember, correlation is not causation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HALF PINT)
    A leader who cares about the needs of the native black population has been elected ,so refering to him as a 'nut job' is slightly strange .
    Nick Griffin cares about the native white population of Britain, but if we was elected I'd still think he was a nut job.

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    Actually, the exploitation of Africa, Central and Southern America never stopped with the slave trade.

It changed, to slavery by contract etc.

They were/always have been economically and socially enslaved. Just without the chains and locks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ataloss)
    You're right - I'm predicting that the USA will descend into chaos now it has elected a black President. It's doomed. :rolleyes:
    No that is certainly not the point I am trying to make. I have clearly outlined I hold no prejudice to any race. I am merely stating a thought that I would like reasonable opinion. Your comment is crass and unfair, based on ill advised populist opinion that pushes racism under the carpet.

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    Well it depends on where you're talking about, there are places like Liberia and Congo which are still pretty much ********* due to only recent ceasing of brutal civil wars. Then there's Angola, Ghana and Mozambique which have all seen rather impressive growth before the global collapse of 2008. I wont deny it, there has been an ideological problem which has undermined the sub-Saharan region for years, maybe its a black thing, maybe its not. However the development of the subcontinent is an inevitability. China has invested heavily and many European nations seem to be shying away from the unfair and protective measures of engagement employed in yesteryear. The transition of China, India, Brazil, South Africa and others from advanced developing nations to "developed" nations will soon come to an end, thus investors and entrepreneurs will turn to new markets. I think no one can avoid the engine of globalization.

ReputationRep:
    Successful black state: Georgia.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.