Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    On one of the applications for the personal statement bit, they say to give an assessment of my strengths and weaknesses...what could I write about that??

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, that sounds quite tricky.

Describing your strengths should be easy enough. You do that in a typical statement of purpose anyway. I get the feeling that universities aren't looking for the finished article, they're looking for potential. So perhaps 'your weakness' could be the result of not having the right opportunity -- e.g. not having done much individual research, or not having studied some areas that you would've liked to (which are fairly irrelevant to the taught courses in the MSc).

Interesting thread. Half-posting just to subscribe and read what others have to say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rafer88)
    On one of the applications for the personal statement bit, they say to give an assessment of my strengths and weaknesses...what could I write about that??
    Ive heard about this before, but asked in bussiness interviews, maybe this still applies.

What you should put is a weakness, but showing signs that your actively trying to do something to rectify it.
    dont put something like : i care too much' because thats not really a weakness, its too subjective,or a hidden strength. they wont buy it.

Instead, say something like: 'I have been struggling with my organisation' etc etc, but are now trying to get more organised and then show evidence e.g. using a organisor to fit my work squeduele with my other activities.

This shows three things: your honest, you have a real weakness. It shows that your proactive in dealing with your problems. And it suggest that your a busy person that have a lot of other extra things you do. ur rounded.

Hope this helps. sorry for the horrrendous spelling.
    JL

ReputationRep:
    oh forgot to mention..its for a biological science course..

ReputationRep:
    Spud's interview in Trainspotting is epic; good advice!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    What a bizarre thing to ask on an application form. Surely most people are just going to lie through their teeth?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    You write something like

My strengths are my ability to yadda yadda yadda. In addition I have very strong blah blah blah.

I would like to improve my somesuch skill.

So you don't mention anything as a weakness, you just select some minor attribute that you'd like to improve, leaving the word weakness out and taking a positive spin on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    What a bizarre thing to ask on an application form. Surely most people are just going to lie through their teeth?

I know, I found it quite weird as well. Havent come across that in any other applications for other unis that I am applying to for the same course.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I don't have any experience with your degree, but one of my extracurricular activities involves a lot of interview/application prep, and we get this a lot.

The best way to handle the latter part (as others have pointed out, strengths are easy enough) is to use a situation where there was an error you made. Take responsibility for it, show how you've improved on it by later dealing with a similar situation in a more effective manner.

For example, I might say that I've at times had difficulty communicating with colleagues when they ask me to complete a research assignment, getting too interested in the topic before I was certain of what they wanted, and one time this resulted in time wasted spent looking for the wrong information, and eventually, a bit of arguing over what we had discussed. I'm now working on it by always verifying the specifics before I approach any assignment, and it's been useful in actually fleshing out what the colleague wanted.

Or something like that. Obviously it's tough to not spend a paragraph just on one weakness, but that's the art of it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.