Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Evening

quick question, left sainsburys 2 months ago. Started new job whilst still at sainsburys, so started paying second job tax on my new job, fair enough. Sainsburys have now finally decided to issue
    my p45. So do I give my p45 to my new employer and stop paying second job tax?

Cheers
    ac

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angrychemist)
    Evening

quick question, left sainsburys 2 months ago. Started new job whilst still at sainsburys, so started paying second job tax on my new job, fair enough. Sainsburys have now finally decided to issue
    my p45. So do I give my p45 to my new employer and stop paying second job tax?

Cheers
    ac
    I'd think so, yep.

Check the 'tax code' shown on your payslip the next time that you're paid after handing in your P45. I expect that it's currently "BR"; once you've handed in your P45 it should change to something like "647L". This should also mean that you'll get a refund of any overpaid Income Tax through the payroll system without having to specifically apply to HMRC. If your code hasn't changed when you first check, give it a couple of weeks as it may take a little while for your new employer to fully process the form.

If you still have difficulty, just give your tax office a call (contact details here) and they should be able to help you sort this out.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.