Turn on thread page Beta

Quiet guys = pushovers ? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I am a quiet guy (as well as a 21 year old supervirgin) and in 99% of cases I am not a pushover (mostly because I don't go out and hence don't get into situations where this might occur). However I recall a time when I was at a camp and there was this really pretty girl there and I got along well with her and whatever she asked me to do, I did it and did it very happily. I can resist anything except the wishes of a beautiful girl. Don't know if that qualifies me as a pushover...
    You not only qualify but you are the definition itself. Congratulations, you are a nice guy lap dogg pussy.

(Original post by n0c0ntr0l)
    You not only qualify but you are the definition itself. Congratulations, you are a nice guy lap dogg pussy.
    Guilty as charged if you say so.

Serious question now: Do girls not like it when guys help them out with things? Is there some sort of fine line between giving a hand and being a 'lapdog?
    The thing is that with me the first instinct is to do anything and everything a pretty girl asks of me.
    I have managed to resits alcohol and tobacco all my life (never been drunk, never smoked a cigarette) so I don't think I am that weak willed. Am I still a pussy?

ReputationRep:
    Guilty as charged if you say so.

Serious question now: Do girls not like it when guys help them out with things? Is there some sort of fine line between giving a hand and being a 'lapdog?
    The thing is that with me the first instinct is to do anything and everything a pretty girl asks of me.
    I have managed to resits alcohol and tobacco all my life (never been drunk, never smoked a cigarette) so I don't think I am that weak willed. Am I still a pussy?
    Yup, don't do stuff for free. Help out only if they help you back, if they aren't adding value to your life you shouldn't do anything for them.

ReputationRep:
    I'm quiet.... But I once killed a man with a trident. I am no pushover.

ReputationRep:
    Not always. I like my quiet time and don't see the need to talk constantly but piss me off enough and I'll make sure they know it

ReputationRep:
    You're assuming that because they are quiet, they also have a weak personality. This, in most cases, is a gross over-exaggeration.

(Original post by n0c0ntr0l)
    Yup, don't do stuff for free. Help out only if they help you back, if they aren't adding value to your life you shouldn't do anything for them.
    Well obviously I am doing it so that the girl will notice me and perhaps even take a liking in me.

Though it is also nice to help out for helping out's sake.

ReputationRep:
    Well obviously I am doing it so that the girl will notice me and perhaps even take a liking in me.

Though it is also nice to help out for helping out's sake.
    She wont notice you like that. You'll become her *****. She'll like you as a friend and no more. You are such a typical nice guy. I'll fix you up though.

First of all stop doing **** for the girl. Why does she deserve it? Did she earn her looks? **** NO! Is she doing anything for you? **** NO! Only help people who will help you when your time of need comes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 9MmBulletz)
    If you're a quiet guy, you're more likely to be a pushover than any other type.
    It's all in the Body Language
    I very much disagree...
    I've had confidence issues at a couple points in my life and that tended to be when I got to my loudest, trying to get people to like me/respect me, I was at my most gregarious and I'd be willing to be a 'nice guy' or pushover occasionally to make friends.

Then I realised the sort of people who take advantage of people like that aren't really the ones you want to be friends with, and I'd now call myself a quiet type but I'm far more likely to be assertive now.

Some of the quietest people I've known are also some of the strongest in terms of willpower, principles etc. They're mostly just oriented on other things, career, academic success, all sorts.

Yeah I know some who are quiet because they're rather friendless and would be pushovers if someone took advantage of their friendship, but by no means are they the majority in my opinion..

I do agree with body language being key though. You're far more likely to be able to judge someones personality from their posture, positioning in a room and facial expression than whether they're loud or quiet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lilwaynefan)
    heard that alot, what do you guys think ?
    Quiet people may sound a pushover because you haven't heard it coming from them mostly hence the new change making you think he/she is a pushover. Its all the cumulative issues they've kept inside them, like a bomb going to explode soon.

Loud people vent their loudness everyday hence nothing new there, you know they're loud. You complain, you give and adapt.

ReputationRep:
    If by pushover you mean sadistic jerk then sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casshern1456)
    You'd be surprise how much you learn just by engaging in everyday conversation. It helps you to develop arguments for alot of things...
    This is true.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 20, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.