Turn on thread page Beta

How much should i save for university watch

ReputationRep:
    How much? I will have on average about £195 incoming a month as of September but i will need to spend a certain percent on bus fairs from school home and my mobile bill as well odd bits.
    What is a reasonable goal to save for starting university in 2012. ?

ReputationRep:
    for the past year i've been putting away about £50 a month, and i hope to have around £1500 in savings before i start university.. it will be a nice cushion to have if any problems occurr.
    it's not necessary because you get loans, but it will just ease the pressure

ReputationRep:
    Are you planning on learning to drive and getting a car?
    That's about 2 grand right there.

ReputationRep:
    Over 9000.

ReputationRep:
    I currently have about £200 saved and I'm going this year. You get lots of loans and grants that hopefully cover all the basics, so I wouldn't bother saving up loads, unless you're planning on a very very healthy social life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mattjames)
    I currently have about £200 saved and I'm going this year. You get lots of loans and grants that hopefully cover all the basics, so I wouldn't bother saving up loads, unless you're planning on a very very healthy social life.
    well sadly my loan will only leave me with £300 if i live in the cheapest accommodation so i don't have the option of not saving up loads

ReputationRep:
    I plan to have over £1000 however I have to pay a £550 deposit for my accommodation in July.

ReputationRep:
    I have about 2K in savings, plus the student loan of 3.5K per year (which will just about cover accommodation)

2000 / (3 x 12) = £56 a month, way short of what seems to be the average outgoings per month

So where does the rest come from?! Do you have to arrive at university assuming you can find a job? Or do I need to find some more savings somewhere? (easier said than done!)

ReputationRep:
    I would say at least a couple of grand if possible. At least this way, you're not left struggling if your loans don't come through.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.