Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I need to know about Acyl chlorides.... the net has some rubbish that i don't need and here people will get straight to the point.

Query 1: describe the of acyl chlorides in organic synthesis. For example in the preparation of esters

Query 2 : in carboxylic acids

Query 3 : N-substituted amides

Query 4: describe the formation of acyl chlorides by reaction of carboxylic acids with PCl5 or SOCl2.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    I need to know about Acyl chlorides.... the net has some rubbish that i don't need and here people will get straight to the point.

Query 1: describe the of acyl chlorides in organic synthesis. For example in the preparation of esters

Query 2 : in carboxylic acids

Query 3 : N-substituted amides

Query 4: describe the formation of acyl chlorides by reaction of carboxylic acids with PCl5 or SOCl2.

Thanks in advance.
    1. Acyl Chloride + Alcohol = Ester
    This is quicker and more economical the carboxylic acid + alcohol as chlorine is more electronegative so accepts electrons faster when attacked.

2. Carboxylic Acid +PCl5 = Acyl Chlorides
    PCl5 is usually a test for carboxylic acids as the OH group is replaced with a Cl group. POCl3 and HCl(misty white fumes are given off). This turns damp blue litmus paper red.

3. Acyl Chloride + Amine= N substituted amine(You need to know the mechanism for this)

Are you doing edexcel by any chance????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ILikeTheGame)
    1. Acyl Chloride + Alcohol = Ester
    This is quicker and more economical the carboxylic acid + alcohol as chlorine is more electronegative so accepts electrons faster when attacked.

2. Carboxylic Acid +PCl5 = Acyl Chlorides
    PCl5 is usually a test for carboxylic acids as the OH group is replaced with a Cl group. POCl3 and HCl(misty white fumes are given off). This turns damp blue litmus paper red.

3. Acyl Chloride + Amine= N substituted amine(You need to know the mechanism for this)

Are you doing edexcel by any chance????
    Thanks for your reply!!!!!! no i am doing OCR and nice wikipedia copy and paste for the mechanism. But thank you mate, much appreciated!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks again for your reply mate...... i gotta head off to the library now so if you do send a message back and i don't reply you know why!!! thanks once again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boromir9111)
    Thanks for your reply!!!!!! no i am doing OCR and nice wikipedia copy and paste for the mechanism. But thank you mate, much appreciated!!!!
    If you were so clever then wikipedia would have been the first place that u should have looked at.

Stop being ungrateful as we are all volunteers here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizz_kid)
    If you were so clever then wikipedia would have been the first place that u should have looked at.

Stop being ungrateful as we are all volunteers here.
    Oh no mate, i am just saying it's cause you're smart that you went to wikipedia and i should have but tbh i wanted someone who knew it to tell me about it cause i have the notes already written down and i like to ask other people what they know and i can add that to my notes to increase my knowledge that i didn't pick up before cause i have tendency to forget the obvious.So i am grateful for that!!! soz if i came off ungrateful.

edit - for edexcel do you need to know the mechanism on how Acyl chloride is formed?
    edit again - i just realized i am messaging the wrong person who sent me the info, sorry to bother you lol.

ReputationRep:
    never hurts to learn the mechanism. or you could try to figure out the mechanism.

ReputationRep:
    edit - for edexcel do you need to know the mechanism on how Acyl chloride is formed?
    I was told the only new mechanism we need to learn for Unit 4 is nucleophilic addition of HCN to carbonyls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starofale)
    I was told the only new mechanism we need to learn for Unit 4 is nucleophilic addition of HCN to carbonyls.
    Oh, that's not hard at all. Thanks mate for that, much appreciated!!!!

edit - if you don't mind me asking what units are you studying for additional further maths at AS?

ReputationRep:
    Oh, that's not hard at all. Thanks mate for that, much appreciated!!!!

edit - if you don't mind me asking what units are you studying for additional further maths at AS?
    These are all the units I'm doing (or have done) for Maths:
    C1-4
    FP1-3
    M1-4
    S1-3
    D1

Don't know which will be for Maths/Further Maths/Additonal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starofale)
    These are all the units I'm doing (or have done) for Maths:
    C1-4
    FP1-3
    M1-4
    S1-3
    D1

Don't know which will be for Maths/Further Maths/Additonal
    FP3-M3/M4-S3 will be for additional further maths i think looking at the modules you're taking but that sounds like a lot of work but you'll be alright take care.

ReputationRep:
    when addition polymers are formed are the pi bonds broken or sigma bonds?

ReputationRep:
    mark scheme says pi bonds but i thought sigma bonds as well are broken?

ReputationRep:
    anyone?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    when addition polymers are formed are the pi bonds broken or sigma bonds?
    Only pi bonds are broken..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    Only pi bonds are broken..
    but it becomes unsaturated, doesn't that mean sigma bonds will have to break as well? if not, why?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    but it becomes unsaturated, doesn't that mean sigma bonds will have to break as well? if not, why?
    unsaturated means having ONLY single bonds and these are sigma bonds

ReputationRep:
    unsaturated means having ONLY single bonds and these are sigma bonds
    lol yeah i know what unsaturated is but i always thought sigma bonds are part of double bonds have no idea why but pi bonds are for double bonds and sigma are for single..... thanks for that mate!!!!!
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    lol yeah i know what unsaturated is but i always thought sigma bonds are part of double bonds have no idea why but pi bonds are for double bonds and sigma are for single..... thanks for that mate!!!!!
    sin problemas...

ReputationRep:
    sin problemas...
    lol, "smooth" so you talk spanish well i don't :p: but thanks once again mate

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.