Turn on thread page Beta

Am I being unreasonable? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

In February my boyfriend and I have organised a night away in York, just to get away from everyone and spend "me and him" time. I guess it's a late Valentines day trip.

Now he is a football supporter - a Newcastle fan. Unfortunately, I have just realised that on the evening we go, there is a Newcastle match happening. It might be on television. If it is, he's said that he wants to watch it. If we travel to York, to spend time with each other, I don't really want the evening being taken up with football. I am not a football fan. Am I being unreasonable? Bearing in mind, that sometimes it feels like it's football first and then me. I just want one evening where that doesn't feel the case.

L x

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's unreasonable, if you've booked a night away together you should spend the time together, not in a pub so he can watch football!!

ReputationRep:
    Nup , tell him to get a friend to record it so they can watch it together or he can watch highlights later in week ....... if he aint got his priorities right this early in the relationship you should consider it a big omen for the future !

ReputationRep:
    If I was in your boyfriend's shoes, I'd happily miss one match.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you're being unreasonable at all.

ReputationRep:
    No he is.

ReputationRep:
    You know you're not being unreasonable, OP.

Just ask him to forfeit this one match, and get a friend to tape it, or iplayer it/catch it on repeat, or watch the highlights. If he says no, then to be honest it's saying a lot more about him and the relationship than you'd like. I'm not normally one to jump to conclusions but if in this case he does put the football first, perhaps have a good hard think about everything?

Hope it goes ok OP! x

ReputationRep:
    im sure he can love you more then football...lol if he chooses football if you say that 2 him.....then....that guy reli.....likes football....

ReputationRep:
    just me who'd let him watch the football then =P you're not being unreasonable OP, he should be willing to miss one match - it's not like he's a season ticket holder and has to miss a home game.

ReputationRep:
    Tell me what date your looking at and I'll see if it's on tele for you

If it's not been announced for T.V yet then it won't be, but give me the date and I'll see

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to everyone's responses. I'm seeing him tomorrow so will bring it up. Hopefully he'll see it from my point of view. After all, the evening isn't just about him, it's about us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nico_SU)
    Tell me what date your looking at and I'll see if it's on tele for you

If it's not been announced for T.V yet then it won't be, but give me the date and I'll see
    It's Newcastle v Coventry on the 17th Feb.

I am so nice, I even went to the Newcastle v Derby in December, and I'm going to the N'castle v Leicester match on the 30th Jan. Actually, I must be a crazy old fool!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LovelyLau)
    Thanks to everyone's responses. I'm seeing him tomorrow so will bring it up. Hopefully he'll see it from my point of view. After all, the evening isn't just about him, it's about us.
    The only nighttime match we have in February is on the 17th, all the others are 3pm kick offs which will definately not be on T.V (prohibited under F.A rules). The 7:45pm kick off will not be on T.V because thats a Champions League night.

So, in summary, your off the hook, it isn't on T.V and therefore have no reason to cause trouble by bringing it up

ReputationRep:
    The only nighttime match we have in February is on the 17th, all the others are 3pm kick offs which will definitely not be on T.V (prohibited under F.A rules). The 7:45pm kick off will not be on T.V because thats a Champions League night.

So, in summary, your off the hook, it isn't on T.V and therefore have no reason to cause trouble by bringing it up
    Thanks for that. It's just typical that there is a match on the 17th but thank goodness it won't be shown. He'll just have to check the results on his phone.

ReputationRep:
    It worries me that people are like this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magic Dust)
    It worries me that people are like this.
    Well, us Geordies are a crazy breed ya' know

ReputationRep:
    Well, us Geordies are a crazy breed ya' know
    Haha! Fair enough, maybe it's just my Southern ways.

ReputationRep:
    AccountKiller

ReputationRep:
    He is obsessed with football. I swear it can't do him any good. Like tomorrow, we're going to Peterborough for his Bday meal (just me and him) and he's trying to plan it so that we eat and then go and find a pub as Liverpool and Tottenham are playing and he wants to watch the match. I'm only going along with this one as it's his Bday evening but still...

ReputationRep:
    If only people took that much interest in politics, then there'd be the possibility of NOT getting Cameron!

Ah well, as long as you are happy that's what counts to be honest How long have you been together out of interest?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 20, 2010
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.