Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, so I'm a little bit concerned. I sent off my UCAS form in December, and my friend is yet to send hers off, or even finish her P/S. She doesn't really care about uni whereas I'm totally obsessed with it and working really hard for my grades etc... she sent me her P/S to see if I could think of an ending for her and after reading through it I've found that she's totally swiped a line from mine. It's literally word for word, although I'm sure I haven't showed her it but I think I mentioned it in the past. I'm a bit concerned about the whole plagerism thing, but I'm also in a bit of a mood with her to begin with (I had to babysit her on a night out, pfft!) so I don't fancy going through her P/S and editing it for her, and changing that part, but I know if I confront her about it she'll just get defensive :rolleyes: I'm not too sure she'll even send her ap off, but either way I don't want to be accused of anything shifty because my dumb friend can't come up with her own statement. It's only a line (in the same context as mine) so I may be being a bit silly, but does anybody have any advice? Should I confront her, let her get on with it or... It's just put me in an awkward position as our friendship isn't the strongest at the minute.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, or if it's totally unneeded.

ReputationRep:
    What is the line, exactly? Is it something very specific, or is it general?

I'd personally just highlight it and suggest to her that she changes it, if it really bothers you. I don't know how strict they are on plagiarism, I doubt it'd ever get detected.

ReputationRep:
    There are far more important things to worry about, like, what are you having for tea tomorrow???

ReputationRep:
    Firstly a line probably isn't sufficient to flag it unless it's *exactly* word for word which given she hasn't seen it seems unlikely. Secondly, you have already submitted your application, so if anything it is her who will be accused of plagiarising your statement.

ReputationRep:
    Haha okay then, it's in relation to some work we did. No worries. Best to be safe than sorry. Thankyou

ReputationRep:
    As yours has presumably been processed by UCAS and their plagarism detector wouldn't she be the only one to get in trouble if it gets flagged up by the system? I don't think you have anything to be worried about - it'll only affect your friend, and it's her fault seeing as she "stole" your line.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong anyone.

What's with people writing 'lines' in their personal statement? I just wrote about my activities and interests, since it was 'personal' it would have been pointless and irrelevant for anyone to copy any of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parpirate)
    What's with people writing 'lines' in their personal statement? I just wrote about my activities and interests, since it was 'personal' it would have been pointless and irrelevant for anyone to copy any of it.
    I'm sorry, I'm not sure how else to describe it... would noun phrase be more in order? :P

Thanks for being helpful, glad to know I've got nothing to worry about and I doubt she'll even send her UCAS form off. She has pure ambition. :yep:

(Original post by Aubydoll)
    I'm sorry, I'm not sure how else to describe it... would noun phrase be more in order? :P

Thanks for being helpful, glad to know I've got nothing to worry about and I doubt she'll even send her UCAS form off. She has pure ambition. :yep:
    Not really, I still don't understand how any part of your personal statement could be relevant to someone else. Unless by 'noun phrase' you mean something along the lines of 'During my free time I' in which case you can't claim that you own that particular phrase and anyone else who knows you has plagiarised it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parpirate)
    Not really, I still don't understand how any part of your personal statement could be relevant to someone else. Unless by 'noun phrase' you mean something along the lines of 'During my free time I' in which case you can't claim that you own that particular phrase and anyone else who knows you has plagiarised it.
    Well just say you and me were to write about this conversation. What we were writing would both be personal to each of us and I'm sure would come out very different when compared. On the other hand if you wrote your verdict on our conversation, and we were walking merrily along and you told me what you'd wrote, and I felt lazy and copied what you'd wrote, word for word, then it would be this situation. And considering my friend was trying to steal my previous ending, it's kind of in her nature.

(Original post by Aubydoll)
    Well just say you and me were to write about this conversation. What we were writing would both be personal to each of us and I'm sure would come out very different when compared. On the other hand if you wrote your verdict on our conversation, and we were walking merrily along and you told me what you'd wrote, and I felt lazy and copied what you'd wrote, word for word, then it would be this situation. And considering my friend was trying to steal my previous ending, it's kind of in her nature.
    All I can say then is she mustn't have anything interesting to say about herself as I remember not having enough space to write about all the important things never mind needing to copy an ending from someone. I don't even recall having an ending, it would have just been the end of a description about something I do or have done.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with parpirate. A personal statement is personal, if you've included gimmicks then the university will have heard pretty much the same all before.

ReputationRep:
    Go to your UCAS teacher type and tell them.

ReputationRep:
    Contact UCAS and tell them. They'll sort her

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.