Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Hi,

I know there's already a thread on London but it's not really relevant to what I'm asking. Basically, I've been a UCL for over a year and my mum is finally visiting me over February for 4 days with my aunt.

I've been told to plan the few days - it's over 'reading week' which means I only have a few lectures. Can anyone help me? They've done Buckingham Palace, Clarence House and the Tower of London.

Day 1 - I have my driving test booked in the afternoon, so we only really have the evening. I was thinking meal followed by a theatre show? Has anyone seen Avenue Q - is it good?

Day 2 - They're quite into gardening so I was thinking Kew gardens? Does that take up a whole day?

Day 3 - They've never been on the London Eye, so I need stuff around Central London so I can take them there as well.

Argh :o: I've not bothered with much of the touristy stuff, and I don't really want it to be VERY expensive for me to tag along. Thanks for any help

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps Maddam TussadS? London dungeon. A boat ride on the rvier thames. Chelsea gardens ive heard of it somewhere. Ice skating rink in lea valley? Hyde park. House of parliament.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Sad3k)
    Perhaps Maddam TussadS? London dungeon. A boat ride on the rvier thames. Chelsea gardens ive heard of it somewhere. Ice skating rink in lea valley? Hyde park. House of parliament.
    Do you know how much a boat ride would be? I'd like to do it as well but not if it's extortionate.
    Ice skating is out I'd say, my Aunt is 60... :p:
    I was thinking Westfield as well.

ReputationRep:
    How about picnic-y lunch in Hyde/Regent's park? That's a very 'London' thing to do. Sometimes there are art exhibitions in large tents, etc, so just check the dates. Avenue Q = brilliant, definitely that. Kew gardens is good if they're big into gardening, it's easy to make a day of it.

Would they like something like Oxford Street shopping, maybe having a few coffees, etc? You could walk from one end of Oxford Street up past UCL, show them the portico (assuming they haven't seen it).

I don't know, I'm not used to having to spend money!!

Edit; the art museums are free, and in a nice part of London. You could go to the Tate etc, and walk past St. Paul's? It's so classy around there :love:

ReputationRep:
    Take them clubbing or a rave.

ReputationRep:
    Kew Gardens does take a whole day, it's a big beautiful place. Expensive though, and go during a weekday if you can so that there will be fewer annoying brats and their parents.

I haven't seen Avenue Q, but Lion King and We Will Rock You were both excellent. *shrugs* Just let them choose any they want and give it a try? It can't be too bad. Also very expensive though.

If the weather is clear and not raining, you could get on a river boat near the London Eye, if you are buying travelcards you will also get a discount for that.

My parents like galleries and bus rides through London on the top deck (of ordinary buses, not wally-mobile tourist buses). They also like to visit Fortnum & Mason and buy some expensive biscuits as a treat. So we might go to The Royal Academy, buy some biscuits, then get a bus to Covent Garden, walk around a bit taking in the sights, visit the Actor's Church, then walk to Trafalgar Square and go to the National Gallery. That would be a good day out for them, but I imagine your mum is probably different.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by punkyrocker)
    How about picnic-y lunch in Hyde/Regent's park? That's a very 'London' thing to do. Sometimes there are art exhibitions in large tents, etc, so just check the dates. Avenue Q = brilliant, definitely that. Kew gardens is good if they're big into gardening, it's easy to make a day of it.

Would they like something like Oxford Street shopping, maybe having a few coffees, etc? You could walk from one end of Oxford Street up past UCL, show them the portico (assuming they haven't seen it).

I don't know, I'm not used to having to spend money!!

Edit; the art museums are free, and in a nice part of London. You could go to the Tate etc, and walk past St. Paul's? It's so classy around there :love:
    Yeah I think my mum would like to see UCL actually. Yeah, they're not into high street shopping that much - they prefer markets. Does anyone know any good markets? Obviously I've been to Camden market but I'm not sure if it's quite their 'scene' :p: .

Hyde Park might be a good idea - I could take them around Knightsbridge, Harrods, Natural History Musuem, then to UCL and finally London Eye. They'll have a day pass so travel isn't really problem and I'm fairly good at tubes :p:

My mum specifically said she doesn't want to sit around deciding what to do, so I have to have things booked and stuff. Quite stressful, I'm definitely not cut out for this :p:

ReputationRep:
    Apparently Avenue Q is amazing. I want to see it.

The Natural History Museum is very, very good - my mum adores it and we spent 4 hours in there once. Consider the British Museum as well as it just has so much, plus the Great Court is gorgeous.

ReputationRep:
    What's your mum gonna do at UCL? Fangirl at Bentham's head? :eyebrow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Couldxbe)
    Yeah I think my mum would like to see UCL actually. Yeah, they're not into high street shopping that much - they prefer markets. Does anyone know any good markets? Obviously I've been to Camden market but I'm not sure if it's quite their 'scene' :p: .
    Portobello market

ReputationRep:
    The aquarium, it's amazing haven't been there in years.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    What's your mum gonna do at UCL? Fangirl at Bentham's head? :eyebrow:
    No? she's never actually seen where I go to university, I thought it might be nice to walk around the area because there are some nice parks. I don't think she cares about Jeremy Bentham, and neither do I as a matter of fact. :p:
    (Original post by Shivvling)
    Portobello market
    Yeah, i thought maybe Portobello Market, but I wasn't sure what kind of place it was.

Definitely given me a lot of ideas, thanks guys. I think there's too much to do rather than too little

ReputationRep:
    Your plan looks fine so far. Definitely Oxford Street and/or Harrods - you can window shop or buy something small if you or they don't have much money. It is the atmosphere as well. A picnic is a good suggestion but the weather isn't particularly suitable for that. Musuems, galleries etc are a good idea. Even a mini tour of your local area, it may be nice for them to see where you live and study.

ReputationRep:
    The London Eye and walk along the South Bank?

ReputationRep:
    good reductions to loads of shows here
    http://www.seetickets.com/gilt2010/

ReputationRep:
    Tate Modern, National Gallery, V&A - all free (if you don't mind missing the displays) and really nice and a good way to spend an afternoon
    And the British and Natural History museums

ReputationRep:
    You and your mum can come to my bedroom. It's free and very exciting!

ReputationRep:
    What the hell is clarence house, I've lived in London all of my life!

Kew Gardens is a mini trek and is gigantic so yea set aside at least half a day. Its nice though very beautiful.

take them boating in hyde park if you like.

There are tons of free/cheap things to do in London just have a look at visitlondon.com or something like that or write free things in london in google.

I went to UCL too...Benthams a fag lol ..actually he was good for utilitarianism but thats for another thread

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.