Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    1 year to go

I've been going to the gym for just over a year now, and am planning to go on a gap year next february for around 4 - 5 months - and so have about a year to make as good a astethetic improvement as i can.
    Obviously, i want to impress the thai boys, and being fat and sun burnt really won't be doing me any favours.
    After i get back from my travelling, fingers cross should be going to uni in the september and so would love to get back into relativley good shape by then.
    But, i really don't know how best to go about a year deadline in terms of how many much muscle gain I can actually achieve, and on what programme(s).
    Is relativley intensive bulking and cutting within reach of a gym novice over a year period?

Info:
    17 Years old.
    196 lb , 6 " 1.
    Currently running WS4SB 3 day split.

Lifts:
    bench 4x 72.5 kg
    squat 5 x 70kg
    deadlift 5 x 120kg
    OH press 5 x 45kg

Cardio:
    None until i play football again in the summer!

Diet :
    My diet varies too much to give a typical day given college hours and work as well. Its not great tho.
    Protein shakes + creatine.

What programmes and general lifestyle in regards to fitness would you follow if you were me, and had until next february?

ReputationRep:
    Whats going on with the squat to bench ratio?

ReputationRep:
    Do you use machines?

Or are you just crap at squatting .

I'm sure you can make fast gains as a novice providing you eat lots and the weights are high...

Can we share thai boys?

ReputationRep:
    196lbs of what? Are you fat? Because if not, you should definitely be squatting more than 70kg. What have you been doing in the gym for the past year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    Do you use machines?

Or are you just crap at squatting .

I'm sure you can make fast gains as a novice providing you eat lots and the weights are high...

Can we share thai boys?
    I dont do sharing.
    Yeah im rubbish at squats, my gym only has a smith machine so i have to do it on that - im trying to join a new gym but its dependant on employment there given a 200 pound joining fee so ill see about that.

I have no idea about body fat, given ive seen some people go nuts when OP have quoted their body fat im going to say a tentative 12 - 16, not really sure never had it measured.

I did f all for 5 months then did starting strength, tried to replicate squatting with front squats ( no rack ) until i couldnt clean the weight, and then hack squats - which i was told not to do because it was the equivalent of deadlifting 4 times a week.
    I then did another rubbish routine a mate gave me, and now im on WS4SB - with no squat sets which probably explains the low figures.

Im also rubbish at squats again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollmanmole)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I dont do sharing.
    Yeah im rubbish at squats, my gym only has a smith machine so i have to do it on that - im trying to join a new gym but its dependant on employment there given a 200 pound joining fee so ill see about that.

I have no idea about body fat, given ive seen some people go nuts when OP have quoted their body fat im going to say a tentative 12 - 16, not really sure never had it measured.

I did f all for 5 months then did starting strength, tried to replicate squatting with front squats ( no rack ) until i couldnt clean the weight, and then hack squats - which i was told not to do because it was the equivalent of deadlifting 4 times a week.
    I then did another rubbish routine a mate gave me, and now im on WS4SB - with no squat sets which probably explains the low figures.

Im also rubbish at squats again.
    Gutted mate. 200 pound :lolwut:

I always thought hack squats were meant to be crap?

ReputationRep:
    Was the only free squat variation I could envisage doing without a rack.
    That said for the like 3 weeks i did them 3x a week my calves grew massiveley.

I know, north london is ****.

ReputationRep:
    I wish gyms could just invest in a PROPER GODDAMN SQUAT RACK!

ReputationRep:
    Does your gym have a trap bar? That could replace squats, it's just harder on your lower back than squats are. Still works legs just as well though.

That + Leg press together would give similar results.

ReputationRep:
    That said for the like 3 weeks i did them 3x a week my calves grew massiveley.

I know, north london is ****.
    Where in north London are you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rlw31)
    Where in north London are you?
    Crouch end / finsbury park.
    I appreciate da responses guys but i need some advice as to how i plan my year !
    What routines?

ReputationRep:
    Crouch end / finsbury park.
    I appreciate da responses guys but i need some advice as to how i plan my year !
    What routines?
    You could travel to angel islington and go to a fitness first there? They have a squat rack

ReputationRep:
    Or zerchers.

Heavy lunges and stepups are also pretty good.

And as has already been said supplementing your squats/deadlifts/lunges/stepups with leg pressing isn't bad either.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.