Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    1 year to go

I've been going to the gym for just over a year now, and am planning to go on a gap year next february for around 4 - 5 months - and so have about a year to make as good a astethetic improvement as i can.
    Obviously, i want to impress the thai boys, and being fat and sun burnt really won't be doing me any favours.
    After i get back from my travelling, fingers cross should be going to uni in the september and so would love to get back into relativley good shape by then.
    But, i really don't know how best to go about a year deadline in terms of how many much muscle gain I can actually achieve, and on what programme(s).
    Is relativley intensive bulking and cutting within reach of a gym novice over a year period?

Info:
    17 Years old.
    196 lb , 6 " 1.
    Currently running WS4SB 3 day split.

Lifts:
    bench 4x 72.5 kg
    squat 5 x 70kg
    deadlift 5 x 120kg
    OH press 5 x 45kg

Cardio:
    None until i play football again in the summer!

Diet :
    My diet varies too much to give a typical day given college hours and work as well. Its not great tho.
    Protein shakes + creatine.

What programmes and general lifestyle in regards to fitness would you follow if you were me, and had until next february?

ReputationRep:
    Whats going on with the squat to bench ratio?

ReputationRep:
    Do you use machines?

Or are you just crap at squatting .

I'm sure you can make fast gains as a novice providing you eat lots and the weights are high...

Can we share thai boys?

ReputationRep:
    196lbs of what? Are you fat? Because if not, you should definitely be squatting more than 70kg. What have you been doing in the gym for the past year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    Do you use machines?

Or are you just crap at squatting .

I'm sure you can make fast gains as a novice providing you eat lots and the weights are high...

Can we share thai boys?
    I dont do sharing.
    Yeah im rubbish at squats, my gym only has a smith machine so i have to do it on that - im trying to join a new gym but its dependant on employment there given a 200 pound joining fee so ill see about that.

I have no idea about body fat, given ive seen some people go nuts when OP have quoted their body fat im going to say a tentative 12 - 16, not really sure never had it measured.

I did f all for 5 months then did starting strength, tried to replicate squatting with front squats ( no rack ) until i couldnt clean the weight, and then hack squats - which i was told not to do because it was the equivalent of deadlifting 4 times a week.
    I then did another rubbish routine a mate gave me, and now im on WS4SB - with no squat sets which probably explains the low figures.

Im also rubbish at squats again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollmanmole)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I dont do sharing.
    Yeah im rubbish at squats, my gym only has a smith machine so i have to do it on that - im trying to join a new gym but its dependant on employment there given a 200 pound joining fee so ill see about that.

I have no idea about body fat, given ive seen some people go nuts when OP have quoted their body fat im going to say a tentative 12 - 16, not really sure never had it measured.

I did f all for 5 months then did starting strength, tried to replicate squatting with front squats ( no rack ) until i couldnt clean the weight, and then hack squats - which i was told not to do because it was the equivalent of deadlifting 4 times a week.
    I then did another rubbish routine a mate gave me, and now im on WS4SB - with no squat sets which probably explains the low figures.

Im also rubbish at squats again.
    Gutted mate. 200 pound :lolwut:

I always thought hack squats were meant to be crap?

ReputationRep:
    Was the only free squat variation I could envisage doing without a rack.
    That said for the like 3 weeks i did them 3x a week my calves grew massiveley.

I know, north london is ****.

ReputationRep:
    I wish gyms could just invest in a PROPER GODDAMN SQUAT RACK!

ReputationRep:
    Does your gym have a trap bar? That could replace squats, it's just harder on your lower back than squats are. Still works legs just as well though.

That + Leg press together would give similar results.

ReputationRep:
    That said for the like 3 weeks i did them 3x a week my calves grew massiveley.

I know, north london is ****.
    Where in north London are you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rlw31)
    Where in north London are you?
    Crouch end / finsbury park.
    I appreciate da responses guys but i need some advice as to how i plan my year !
    What routines?

ReputationRep:
    Crouch end / finsbury park.
    I appreciate da responses guys but i need some advice as to how i plan my year !
    What routines?
    You could travel to angel islington and go to a fitness first there? They have a squat rack

ReputationRep:
    Or zerchers.

Heavy lunges and stepups are also pretty good.

And as has already been said supplementing your squats/deadlifts/lunges/stepups with leg pressing isn't bad either.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.