Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    With the North Sea oil drying up and Britain relying heavily on banking/finance as its main source of income(which is not very wise and I don't think I need to tell you why), does the UK have a promising future and will it be able to continue as one of the world's great powers?

ReputationRep:
    And with seemingly falling levels of general education and intellect, a struggling infrastructure etc.

No, the UK does not have a promising future.

ReputationRep:
    one of the world's greatest powers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    one of the world's greatest powers?
    One of the world's great powers.

Today, the UK is one of the 7 great powers, alongside it are: China, France, Germany, Japan, Russia and the USA(and no I didn't forget about Brazil, India or Italy).

ReputationRep:
    The whole of Europe saw its demise after decolonisation and the excitable economy of the Cold War was over.

The UK won't be a world economic and political megapower (yeah I made that word up, referring to the number-1 superpower like it was 250 years ago) but stability can maintain its status as an influential and economically advanced developed western nation.

ReputationRep:
    I cannot even begin to prophecy with any accuracy what the future will hold without the derision from critics and opponents of my attitude towards the banks and the Globalists.

We try to avoid those who call us "conspiracy theorists" or "conspiracy nuts"; they do so often without realising the irony that never fails to turn up later when the "conspiracy" passes through Schopenhauer's "Three Stages of Truth":

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

I don't know what the future holds except in immediate terms, that being; it is not looking very bright at all; to quote Adorno:

"...disaster radiates triumphant".

But I think in the long run we have to be optimistic because if we don't we might just end up paralyzed as a nation; frightened of moving at all.

ReputationRep:
    Well Uk won't develop anymore like it once used to. Every company that made Britain unique is being nationalised/sold and the generation that worked hard and took pride in their country has long gone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shivvling)
    Well Uk won't develop anymore like it once used to. Every company that made Britain unique is being nationalised/sold and the generation that worked hard and took pride in their country has long gone.
    Cadbury is being sold off to a European company called Kraft now, isn't it? I think this is just a taste of what is to come..unless of course, laws are brougt in to prevent this kind of thing happening to British companies. Ironically, Cadbury had already merged with Schweppes in the late 60s, I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    Cadbury is being sold off to a European company called Kraft now, isn't it? I think this is just a taste of what is to come..unless of course, laws are brougt in to prevent this kind of thing happening to British companies. Ironically, Cadbury had already merged with Schweppes in the late 60s, I think.
    Cadbury isn't the only one, Rolls Royce, Jaguar, Rover, MG, Mini and Triumph have all been sold.

ReputationRep:
    To answer your question, yes. It will continue to be rubbish for a while, then I will become Prime Minister. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    No, it doesn't - there are too many Muslims in the country. So socially, we are screwed.

Financially we are screwed because we've never, ever had a government that has appointed a chancellor or PM that knew what he was doing, and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Morally we are screwed because of the rise of Islam.

Intellectually we are screwed because the government want to dumb down higher education, make it shorter and cheaper, and put the entire country through the same broken system.

There isn't much that isn't going down the ********.

ReputationRep:
    Nope.

ReputationRep:
    I know this answer won't help this discussion along at all, but it depends on what choices the UK makes. Potentially, we could get a lot worse, but I thin we could also get a lot better (in various ways). We just need to adapt to changing circumstances; if we do that well, we should be okay.

ReputationRep:
    I think so, compared to America which economically will be gone within the next 20 years.

ReputationRep:
    everyone here can see everthing is going to ****, whythe morons in charge? they have the power to change things

ReputationRep:
    No. I'm probably gonna leave.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Stalin)
    With the North Sea oil drying up and Britain relying heavily on banking/finance as its main source of income(which is not very wise and I don't think I need to tell you why), does the UK have a promising future and will it be able to continue as one of the world's great powers?
    Main source of income? Banking and finance is not even 10% of GDP atm i dont see how were going to be relying it on it when itself isnt our major source of income. If you thought the UK was going to have amjor decline for the next 20 years youd be very mistaken, were still seeing growth (pre credit crunch) so why assume we wont see growth in years to come.

ReputationRep:
    We're definitely coming to a possible turning point in terms of world power now. With oil drying out lots of the old powerful countries will be looking for new sources of income in a world of finite resources. I think we'll still have a hand to play in politics, but resources and business wise, we won't have much to call our own.

I don't think there'll be much of a dramatic shift though, Europe and North America are more developed by quite a long way so they still have the head start. Less developed countries may find new resources (e.g. Bolivia with it's salt) that mean they can catch up, but I don't think China or India will zoom ahead since they're held back by the same things as Europe and US. If any new resources pop up that need major moulah to extract, America and Europe are gonna be there first, so a huge swing is extremely unlikely unless another country has a special resource they can claim for their own without american invasion.

Oil is becoming depleted everywhere, businesses are always competing for monopoly, the world keeps spinning. The UK isn't suddenly going to disappear into a third world country. No matter what happens, the only thing that is guarenteed is that people on TSR will moan about Britain being rubbish. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Does it really matter much how influential Britain is, or how it compares in certain international statistics?

From my experience, the general quality of life for middle class people has continued to rise over the past decades even as we've lost our Empire and become a bit silly at times. We've never had it so good, and I suspect that trend will continue.

ReputationRep:
    The majority of the UK's revenue comes from the service sector, tourism, health and education. I don't believe resources play that vital of a role.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.