Turn on thread page Beta

Does the UK have a promising future? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Does it really matter much how influential Britain is, or how it compares in certain international statistics?

From my experience, the general quality of life for middle class people has continued to rise over the past decades even as we've lost our Empire and become a bit silly at times. We've never had it so good, and I suspect that trend will continue.
    Disregarding your first sentence, I don't think thats quite true. Relative to the world, Britain has definetly had it so good previously. British working and middle class people were much better off at the turn of the 20th century than the turn of the 21st century, relative to everyone else in the rest of the world.

ReputationRep:
    Well i keep hearing British companies are being taken over by foreign ones and jobs are being cut everyday, so it doesn't look to good.

I've been working as a part time student for the NHS in the last 2 years and it doesn't good at all. Hospital jobs are also being cut to save money and only a couple of weeks ago a dialysis unit i use to work in was being closed down.

ReputationRep:
    I think politically it's international influence will inevitably recede as the BRIC countries take an interest in international politics. Economically it needs to find an area to specialize in, green technology seems a good call of course China could well take over this sector and Germany is already way ahead of us.
    In terms of general living standards, we're currently ranked 21 in the world according to the Human Development Index.

ReputationRep:
    No.
    The UK relies on finance as its main "industry".
    & thats a bit of a problem.
    ..not because finance is risky and the credit crunch and all that.
    but due to this recent backlash agasint bankers etc with all these new taxes, finance is leaving the UK. & its not just banks, big multinational commodity companies etc (ie Glencore, worlds biggest oil traders) are all pulling their accounts departments out London and locating abroad. Now people will say things like how great it is the afwul bankers are leaving, but do they seem to forget that it was the bankers who lined the pockets of London ? How much industry does London have? How much agriculture or natural resources ? Thats right, none, just finance.

Everyone seems so pleased that were scaring finance off to Hong Kong and the like, but trust me, in a few years theyll be the ones laughing.

{edit - oh, and talking social future ? well, have a guess.}

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paella)
    I think so, compared to America which economically will be gone within the next 20 years.
    Ano they said that 20 years in Iraq and Afghanistan would probably finish America off as the world's only superpower. That would be quite a spectacular decline, america's gross domestic product atm is quadruple that of any other country

ReputationRep:
    you guys are so pessimistic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    Cadbury is being sold off to a European company called Kraft now, isn't it? I think this is just a taste of what is to come..unless of course, laws are brougt in to prevent this kind of thing happening to British companies. Ironically, Cadbury had already merged with Schweppes in the late 60s, I think.
    Kraft is American. Its roots are found in Philadelphia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Does it really matter much how influential Britain is, or how it compares in certain international statistics?

From my experience, the general quality of life for middle class people has continued to rise over the past decades even as we've lost our Empire and become a bit silly at times. We've never had it so good, and I suspect that trend will continue.
    I agree with this, people seem to talk about the days of the empire being Britain's golden hour, most powerful moment .etc. yet forget that most Britons at the time of empire lived in extreme poverty, died young and lived lives unimaginably dull and difficult in horrible conditions and in many cases in a constant state of hunger. I see no need why we should care terribly about our future global influence, which has been waning for many, many years now anyway...indeed it may even be a blessing. Lack of global power seems to do the Finns and New Zealanders okay. Most people live lives in unimaginable luxary, even the poorest in society have resources and wealth unimaginable to 18th century aristocrats say.

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe it does have a promising future. You can already see the cracks at present, combined with the general power shift from the west to the east on the global scale I think it's heading to a downfall.

Quality of life probably will become better, but already more and more Brits are moving out out of here by the day simply because relative to other countries the quality of life is pretty mediocre. But then again, it's pretty foolish to think Britain serves its own people, no...it's only good for the immigrating third world. In my view it's failed its own people in favour of keeping this charitable perception on the global scene.

I don't really like Britain as a country to be honest, I did when I was younger, naive and oblivious to what other countries are actually doing for their nationals. Its future is irrelevant to me personally, as I'll be on the first ticket out of here after graduation. However, I am proud to be British and if it ever needs to me fight for it in a third world war then I'm getting in that khaki uniform with all guns blazing :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phugoid)
    No, it doesn't - there are too many Muslims in the country. So socially, we are screwed.

Financially we are screwed because we've never, ever had a government that has appointed a chancellor or PM that knew what he was doing, and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Morally we are screwed because of the rise of Islam.

Intellectually we are screwed because the government want to dumb down higher education, make it shorter and cheaper, and put the entire country through the same broken system.

There isn't much that isn't going down the ********.
    Somebody's negged me for this post, saying that it contained racial discrimination. I can assure you that my hatred of Islam transcends race, and I am as much in favour of banning Islam for white Muslims as I am for banning it for Muslims of any other ethnic background. My problem is with religion and culture, not race.

ReputationRep:
    I think by 2050, the middle of the century, all of the big Western powers, like the USA, UK, France and Germany, would be less powerful comparatively, whether in economic or general world terms.

For the UK though, we have to focus more on high-tech manufacturing. Other than that, we could focus on innovation (a lot of information technology is produced here), as well as culture (like the arts, movies, etc.). We do have world-class actors, writers, singers, etc. so it's something we could use to our advantage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crimsonchilli)
    No.
    The UK relies on finance as its main "industry".
    & thats a bit of a problem.
    ..not because finance is risky and the credit crunch and all that.
    but due to this recent backlash agasint bankers etc with all these new taxes, finance is leaving the UK. & its not just banks, big multinational commodity companies etc (ie Glencore, worlds biggest oil traders) are all pulling their accounts departments out London and locating abroad. Now people will say things like how great it is the afwul bankers are leaving, but do they seem to forget that it was the bankers who lined the pockets of London ? How much industry does London have? How much agriculture or natural resources ? Thats right, none, just finance.

Everyone seems so pleased that were scaring finance off to Hong Kong and the like, but trust me, in a few years theyll be the ones laughing.

{edit - oh, and talking social future ? well, have a guess.}
    I'm sure Hong Kong's already laughing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlieBee_90)
    To answer your question, yes. It will continue to be rubbish for a while, then I will become Prime Minister. :awesome:
    hmm sound optimistic..good luck

ReputationRep:
    The UK has an extremely bright future.

You will see people who can't see one week ahead who base their opinion on what was in todays newspaper i.e. high deficit, unemployment, financial crisis. These are the people who say the UK is in decline.

In reality the OP is confused. The fact that our financial sector is huge is a major boost to our economy. Financial services will continue to grow and London will likely overtake New York in the next decade as emerging markets prefere London.

Simply because we had one moderate crash doesn't mean the entire world is falling to peices. Our government learnt the lessons of the 1929 crash and actually assisted the economy when confidence failed.

We have some of the best universities in the world which continue to attract students from around the world along with massive fees. We have an extremely free and democratic society with low curroption levels and just because MPs claimed a few grand extra in expenses doesn't mean the entire system is a mess. It means our press actually has the FREEDOM to report on those issues rather than other countries where it would have been suppressed.

What you need to wake up to is the fact that we have a system of government which is relatively perfect unlike the US or other EU states. We don't let people die with the NHS, we give people a good education, people from poor backgrounds have relatively good access to high earning positions, we give people incentives to work with tax credits.

TLDR:
    Everything is fine stop reading THE SUN

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so. Unless we can develop a better high-tech sector and improve graduate and university quality, we're going down :sadnod:
    The government at the moment has no sense of frugality or strategy, not sure if the Tories will be any better. We need to stop spending willy nilly and reduce government micro-management of peoples' lives.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=CjT]The UK has an extremely bright future.[QUOTE]

China and India have an extremely bright futures, Brazil and Singapore have bright futures and the USA has a future but to say that the UK has a bright future is laughable to be honest.

You will see people who can't see one week ahead who base their opinion on what was in todays newspaper i.e. high deficit, unemployment, financial crisis. These are the people who say the UK is in decline.
    What about the immense debt the UK is in, 3 times as much as France and Germany?

What about the decline in British infrastructure?

In reality the OP is confused. The fact that our financial sector is huge is a major boost to our economy. Financial services will continue to grow and London will likely overtake New York in the next decade as emerging markets prefere London.
    I hope you're joking.

Mumbai, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Singapore, NYC, Tokyo and Frankfurt will be the main business hubs of the world in the next decade.

Moreover, London cannot overtake NYC as it is ahead, if anything it will be overtaken by NYC.

Simply because we had one moderate crash doesn't mean the entire world is falling to peices. Our government learnt the lessons of the 1929 crash and actually assisted the economy when confidence failed.
    I'd call France's crash moderate, because its economy doesn't rely so heavily on banking/finance.

Britain and the US both had the worst crash since the Great Depression, I'd hardly call that a moderate crash.

We have some of the best universities in the world which continue to attract students from around the world along with massive fees.
    Our universities are also in decline due to the low fees, and our graduate research is nonexistent when you compare it to the US graduate universities.

We have an extremely free and democratic society with low curroption levels and just because MPs claimed a few grand extra in expenses doesn't mean the entire system is a mess. It means our press actually has the FREEDOM to report on those issues rather than other countries where it would have been suppressed.
    China has the complete opposite and yet they will be far better off than the UK.

What you need to wake up to is the fact that we have a system of government which is relatively perfect unlike the US or other EU states. We don't let people die with the NHS, we give people a good education, people from poor backgrounds have relatively good access to high earning positions, we give people incentives to work with tax credits.

TLDR:
    Everything is fine stop reading THE SUN
    What a load of *****.

Who are you trying to persuade, us or yourself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)

Exactly. I've never understand the nationalist obsession with being better than everybody else. The important thing is domestic living standards. If China, India and Brazil want to grow their economies and have decent living standards too, good for them.

(Original post by Bagration)
    Disregarding your first sentence, I don't think thats quite true. Relative to the world, Britain has definetly had it so good previously. British working and middle class people were much better off at the turn of the 20th century than the turn of the 21st century, relative to everyone else in the rest of the world.
    Does being better than everybody else really matter?
    Working class people at the turn of the 20th century had it extremely tough. Awfully dirty cities, a limited diet and no rights or support whatsoever. At the turn of the 20th century we had the Poor Laws: in 1905 the Daily Mail did an article complaining that people in workhouses were allowed out and had non-stale bread to eat. Living standards have increased beyond imagination over the past 100 years, so does it really matter that some other countries have caught up a little?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathew551)
    Kraft is American. Its roots are found in Philadelphia.
    With a name like Kraft I think you'll find its roots are in Germany

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shivvling)
    Well Uk won't develop anymore like it once used to. Every company that made Britain unique is being nationalised/sold and the generation that worked hard and took pride in their country has long gone.
    So you don't think Johnson Matthey is uniquely placed to take advantage of the move to alternative fuels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    China and India have an extremely bright futures,
    China has a massive demographics problem.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.