Turn on thread page Beta

Does the UK have a promising future? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajtiesto)
    Well i keep hearing British companies are being taken over by foreign ones and jobs are being cut everyday, so it doesn't look to good.
    So you listen to that but don't listen to it when its the other way round?

ie when British companies take over Jonney Foreigner and when jobs are being made?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    Cadbury isn't the only one, Rolls Royce, Jaguar, Rover, MG, Mini and Triumph have all been sold.
    Yet last year we manufactured more cars than in 1982, even though production was down 40% on the year before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    China has a massive demographics problem.
    I agree, however it'll hardly change the fact that they'll become a superpower. Moreover, Europe also has a massive demographics problem, there aren't enough babies being born on our continent and our older generations are becoming even older.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Yet last year we manufactured more cars than in 1982, even though production was down 40% on the year before.
    Perhaps, however we don't own the companies which we manufacture cars for.

ReputationRep:
    No. I don't think Britain's future is very bright.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, however it'll hardly change the fact that they'll become a superpower. Moreover, Europe also has a massive demographics problem, there aren't enough babies being born on our continent and our older generations are becoming even older.
    Completely agree.

As they cover 1/3rd of the worlds population its probably fair they become superpowers

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps, however we don't own the companies which we manufacture cars for.
    You could if you wanted though. Most of them have gone to Plcs.

Or are you saying you'd rather more cars were made off shore but the company owner held a British passport/is listed on the LSE/has a UK HQ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    You could if you wanted though. Most of them have gone to Plcs.

Or are you saying you'd rather more cars were made off shore but the company owner held a British passport/is listed on the LSE/has a UK HQ?
    I think that it'd be better if the UK had both, people need jobs and the economy needs manufacturing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Completely agree.

As they cover 1/3rd of the worlds population its probably fair they become superpowers
    I think they cover 20%-25% if I'm not mistaken, Robert Fogel believes their economy will grow by $123 trillion come 2040.

ReputationRep:
    I think they cover 20%-25% if I'm not mistaken, Robert Fogel believes their economy will grow by $123 trillion come 2040.
    12% growth year on year for the next 30 years?
    Its certainly a prediction to make some headlines :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._by_population

Wiki says 37%.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    12% growth year on year for the next 30 years?
    Its certainly a prediction to make some headlines :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._by_population

Wiki says 37%.
    Reports said it grew 8.4% in 2009, then again most of these reports are wrong, either overestimated or underestimated.

Wiki says 19.46% mate

ReputationRep:
    Reports said it grew 8.4% in 2009, then again most of these reports are wrong, either overestimated or underestimated.

Wiki says 19.46% mate
    Im sure they are doing between 8 and 10 percent a year at the minute. But thats not 12, its pretty tricky to believe they could sustain average growth of 12% for 30 years without sustaining at the very least diminishing returns.

Ahhh I meant India+China, sorry I wasn't totally clear, I referred to they when I mentioned a third

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Im sure they are doing between 8 and 10 percent a year at the minute. But thats not 12, its pretty tricky to believe they could sustain average growth of 12% for 30 years without sustaining at the very least diminishing returns.

Ahhh I meant India+China, sorry I wasn't totally clear, I referred to they when I mentioned a third
    I think $123 trillion is grossly overestimated, $40 trillion sounds about right in my opinion.

Asians are known for having small penises, but contrary to popular belief they've made the most babies, which proves that women don't care about the size of your tool.

ReputationRep:
    In terms of labour China wins out. China has millions of people they can treat like slaves. In the West we have minimum wage and suchlike. America atm is the world's biggest exporter of food. It can only compete because America is so technologically advanced. It couldn't compete with the likes of India and China otherwise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meebodied)
    In terms of labour China wins out. China has millions of people they can treat like slaves. In the West we have minimum wage and suchlike. America atm is the world's biggest exporter of food. It can only compete because America is so technologically advanced. It couldn't compete with the likes of India and China otherwise
    You hit the nail on the head.

ReputationRep:
    We will have a promising future if we stop electing politicians and start electing leaders.
    Tony Blair, Gordon Brown, Maybe David Cameron... All of them are a disgrace.

We want someone with the strength, willpower and intelligence of Margaret Thatcher...

ReputationRep:
    No because the seeds of a 2nd world country have been planted here by ZanuLabour.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.