Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What would YOU do.. if your GF/BF made you food that tasted horrible? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ok so i normally cook dinner for the misses and sometimes for her housemates too and i would consider myself an just a bit above average cook.

My girlfriend made dinnner tonight and it was horrible. She over cooked meat, under cooked pasta, made horrible sauce and used plastic cheese for maybe the worst pasta bake in history (it wasnt even baked)

The Question i have for you is..

How do you react to being given food which is s**t?

My response was "Babe, i love you but.... this is s**t" which is probably why i am being given the cold shoulder.

P.S she just read this post so i am now WAY past cold shoulder treatment :confused:

- Deckie

ReputationRep:
    Tell her it aint very good. What else you gonna do? Lie and keep eating **** food?

ReputationRep:
    I'd rip her about it, take the piss a bit, then teach her how to cook.

ReputationRep:
    Dump her/
    If she can't cook she isn't worth my time.

ReputationRep:
    You probably could have been more tactful.

For example, "I like the *such and such*, but for me personally I'd cook the meat for less time."

And then build from there, you need constructive criticism, not just "it's ****".

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I think she's over-reacting. You could probably have thanked her for making the meal but telling her that she's a great cook when she isn't is just harsh in the long run.
    Maybe it'd be nice to offer to help her cook, then you could do it together and she will get better.

ReputationRep:
    Throw it under the table for the dog to eat.

ReputationRep:
    Spit it back on to the plate before proceeding to throw it at a wall screaming "a dog wouldn't eat this ****. Da **** *****!"

Or more or less what you said. Depends how I feel.

ReputationRep:
    i'd laugh and be sympathetic though that's because i once told my mum a dish was crap and she shouted at me and then sulked.
    Whenever i screw up a dish i feel like crying and it wouldn't help if someone called it s**t and then described it as you just have on a forum. that would make me feel very, very stupid indeed. You probably hurt her feelings and have now angered her by not realising. Say sorry, make amends and learn your lesson in politeness as i did.

ReputationRep:
    spit it out in her face ..then say **** me krusty the clown would have done a better job....

ReputationRep:
    I'd tell them you expect me to eat this ******* crap ??!! how dare you??!!

than tell them to make it again or cook something myself, and leave them hungry or either eating the ****** food.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say thanks, but explain why it wasn't very good. I'd try and tease him if it was his first attempt, to make him see the funny side*, then I'd come round once or twice a week so we could cook a meal together.

*In reality, it wouldn't actually be funny. I like my food and I wouldn't put up with that crap if the guy didn't learn. :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't eat it if I didn't like it but I would try not to sound ungrateful. Saying it is 's**t' seems harsh when she obviously made the effort. Next time you cook, cook together - make it a joint effort and give her some pointers along the way eg. "I think the meat is ready now" or "Maybe the pasta can stay on for a few minutes longer..."

Early on in our relationship he made me something and it was half cold (unintentionally of course, he stirred something cold into hot and didn't heat it up together). I tried it nonetheless, said thank you and said I preferred it differently then went into the kitchen and reheated it myself. On the other hand I don't use a lot of salt so he doesn't like it when I cook for that simple reason, there are ways around it as far as I am concerned. We still cook as a couple or for friends or each other but maybe he will add extra salt afterward or I will cook part of it differently. No need to make the other person feel bad, especially if it is someone you care about.

Do not sugar coat it but think about what kind of language you are using. How can the person improve or learn or even know if they never try or are never told. Similarly, if you slate every effort they make then their confidence will really be knocked and it can hurt their feelings more than you think/assume.

Apologise to your girlfriend, suggest a cooking session together. Perhaps even the same dish with exactly the same ingredients but you do it together as a meal for two without the pressure of having to cook for friends or flat mates.

ReputationRep:
    it sounds like she went to a lot of effort which is probably why she's upset (ask her?)

I like my cooking and so do others but I always used to get cheesed at how my ex refered to my cooking as "no thanks not today". Are you sure it's not just your personal preference? did other people eat what she made?

You could have been a bit nicer about it, which is probably the reason why she is annoyed not because you criticised her. Maybe you suggest you cook together next time and teach her.

ReputationRep:
    I'd start a thread about it on TSR, naturally.

As Jayjayjay suggested, give her some tips but make an evening of it, perhaps with some wine or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    shut the **** up and eat it :blush:

ReputationRep:
    er tell 'em the truth? jesus.

Subtly slip it into your pocket when she isn't looking, and flush it down the toilet later.

Give her some of your own salty prioduce
    On toast!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 24, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.