The Student Room Group

exam solutions website??

Ok... so as I do not know of any site which does this I have any idea which I want to get some advice upon. I am thinking of setting up a site which hosts model solutions.

I think if there were a site which had model solutions for every maths and science gcse and a-level exam it would be pretty useful for your average student. I know you can get the mark schemes with a little creativity with google, I think fully worked solutions might be good.

So what do you think? Would anyone here use such a site? Can you see any potential problems with it?
Reply 1
I think people would find a site like this very useful. However, you might want to check if there are any potential copyright issues with using questions from past exam papers.
Reply 2
ttoby
I think people would find a site like this very useful. However, you might want to check if there are any potential copyright issues with using questions from past exam papers.

Well I wouldnt be planning on giving the papers out. Also I wouldnt charge to use it. Therefore I can't see any copyright problems.
Reply 3
facedrop
Well I wouldnt be planning on giving the papers out. Also I wouldnt charge to use it. Therefore I can't see any copyright problems.

You're still putting up content based on past paper questions, so you would probably want to ask the exam boards or get legal advice just to be on the safe side in case there's some technicality preventing you from posting answers.
Reply 4
facedrop

The fact that you're not planning on charging won't protect you from copy vio, but what may stand in your favour is the fact that you can not copyright a fact - for example, if you were to have section on basic addition (but hopefully not as basic as the example) and you showed a model solution for the sum of 2+2, there is no way that you could be charged with copyright.

If, however, you were to replicate word for word the 2007 Science GCSE paper, you may well get in to trouble. But again, scientific formulae can not (as far as i know and reasonably suspect) be subject to copyright - so in essence, all that you would have to do is re-formulate the question.

Have a go, but tread carefully.
Reply 5
darigan
The fact that you're not planning on charging won't protect you from copy vio, but what may stand in your favour is the fact that you can not copyright a fact - for example, if you were to have section on basic addition (but hopefully not as basic as the example) and you showed a model solution for the sum of 2+2, there is no way that you could be charged with copyright.

If, however, you were to replicate word for word the 2007 Science GCSE paper, you may well get in to trouble. But again, scientific formulae can not (as far as i know and reasonably suspect) be subject to copyright - so in essence, all that you would have to do is re-formulate the question.

Have a go, but tread carefully.

Having thought about it I suppose I need to get some advice from someone with more specific knowledge on the subject. However as an example if i were to post an essay based on a novel then that would be using the novel... however i would not have to worry about copyright issues unless I copied huge sections of the novel. I might be over simplifying this alot.

Also do you think anyone would be interested in cooperating with this? Doing solutions to every single possible paper would take me months if not years, however if people were willing to cooperate (in a similar way to wiki) then this could be achieved in a matter of weeks or months.

So any takers? I would want to latex them up at some point, however I would be happy to post as pdf's hand written scan-ups as long as they were legible.

Latest